Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2018, 11:07 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Used K5iis

Hello all,

I've been offered a used K5iis for a decent price. Thing is it has a shutter count of about 31k. Does this diminish the selling price compared to one with 10k shutter count?

I know the camera is rated for 100,000 clicks.

What would you pay for one with so many clicks on it?

02-25-2018, 11:22 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A quick search of ebay SOLD listings shows prices ranging from $329 to $520.

- 30,000 clicks is 1/3 of average life. Not really significant
- are all accessories included? box, charger etc
- any extras? additional batteries, lenses
- what is the physical condition, any dings or scratches?

I would take a look at the ebay listings and if the decent price you are being offered is in line with similar sales there. If not, just buy one of the many listed there.
02-25-2018, 12:01 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by paulpines Quote
Hello all,

I've been offered a used K5iis for a decent price. Thing is it has a shutter count of about 31k. Does this diminish the selling price compared to one with 10k shutter count?

I know the camera is rated for 100,000 clicks.

What would you pay for one with so many clicks on it?
I would say that kind of shutter count gives you less leeway when it comes to pricing it, but it shouldn't be too significant given the overall price of the body.

That said keep in mind that shutters can and do fail early.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-25-2018, 12:40 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I had the shutter on my K10D fail way early, somewhere in the mid twenty thousands if I recall correctly. On the other hand, my K200D is well above fifty thousand and still going strong.

The shutter count is not that high and not a deal breaker, but I would ask for a discount if I were you.

02-25-2018, 12:55 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not that is any help with the pricing of the camera but my K-5 has achieved 92775 actuations without any problems, great camera and if you are not a going to use it like a machine gun it could last you years.
As already mentioned, look at the whole deal, accessories, manual, extras and if you can, make an offer you would be happy with.
02-25-2018, 03:12 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I have a K-5 IIs that has approximately 45973 shutter actuations. I shoot in single frame mode and it is still operating fine. I do not use the burst mode (continuous shooting mode).

Last edited by C_Jones; 02-25-2018 at 07:31 PM.
02-25-2018, 04:14 PM   #7
Pentaxian

This is a shot I took with my K-5 IIs and Sigma 150-500 DG OS lens. It is a crop.

Last edited by C_Jones; 06-23-2018 at 04:20 PM.
02-25-2018, 04:33 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
PF member Digitalis has something like 120k or more on his K-5 II's. If he see's this, he can chime in, but he's noticeably above the recommended service life of the camera and they seem to keep kicking along for him.

I own a K-5 II (not the s variant, but they're very similar) and while I think it's a great camera, and I have no reason to upgrade to some later body, I don't think I could pay more than $350ish for the K-5 IIs you're talking about. Why? It's something like six years since it came to market and things have definitely changed since then. I think I paid $500 for mine four years ago and prices should have noticeably dropped since then.

I think the K-5 II and IIs represent great value on the used market, but to be great value, they need to be less than half what they sold for new. So, $350 would be my threshold to where it wasn't such a great deal anymore.

My 2 cents.
03-09-2018, 06:11 AM   #9

my original k5 is going strong at 128k shutter count...
my opinion is that there is a point where a camera's price plateaus... and thats around 350$ for the k5ii... a little bit more for the k5iis, of course it depends from the shutter count, the overall condition of the camera, and the accessories (grip, batteries, etc)
04-27-2018, 12:51 PM - 1 Like   #10

Guess I got lucky, picked up a "used" K-5 IIs body for just over $350 on Ebay. It came with all the parts listed in the manual's packing list and was in a box with matching serial number to the camera. Shutter count was 820 when I sent a photo to the Pentax site. The seller claimed it was most likely a store demo, can believe that. Battery was about dead, do not think it was ever re-charged; charger cable still twist-tied up.. This body replaces a K-50 that developed the dreaded aperture block failure. Looking forward to years of happy photos.
04-27-2018, 01:12 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Spacedave Quote
This body replaces a K-50 that developed the dreaded aperture block failure.
Just a thought. If you have (or get) some M42 lenses, can you use the K-50 with them? The aperture is human operated anyway, no need for any aperture motor blocks.
04-27-2018, 09:40 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Just a thought. If you have (or get) some M42 lenses, can you use the K-50 with them? The aperture is human operated anyway, no need for any aperture motor blocks.
Good suggestion. What about PK/A mount lenses? Will they work if the camera has the aperture block problem?

I don't understand why Pentax doesn't just make a 18-55 (or similar range) PLM lens. There would be a lot of demand for it.

Even though I already had a 'old' version Pentax 55-300 lens I bought the 55-300 PLM version specifically for the PLM feature. Provides much faster and quieter focusing, and (of course) addresses the aperture block problem if you have it.

Last edited by Theov39; 04-27-2018 at 10:03 PM.
04-28-2018, 10:25 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
Good suggestion. What about PK/A mount lenses? Will they work if the camera has the aperture block problem?
Nope. The aperture block operates the diaphragm when the shutter fires. M42 lenses do not couple to this mechanism. You operate the aperture manually.

Something like a ZhongYi Optics Mitakon Speedmaster 85mm f/1.2 would work too.
05-06-2018, 10:34 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a failed K30 ACB with a kipon m42 adapter that is never removed. It has been a lot of fun playing with a flotilla of cheap m42 lenses. My main camera is the K5iis that you're looking at. I love the quiet shutter everywhere I take it.