Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2018, 04:59 AM   #1

K-5 rear lcd issue

Hey folks, wonder if you can offer any wisdom...

my K-5 has developed a strange intermittent issue with the rear lcd screen.

it first appeared a couple of weeks ago when we had the storm emma snow days. I went outside to take some photos of my little one building a snowman, so I put the issue at this point down to the coldness.

the screen goes mostly white, with some horizontal lines visible, and the image is vaguely visible, and almost in negative for want of a better explanation.

once back indoors and got my snowy shoes and stuff off, I turned the camera back on to check the photos and the screen was absolutely back to normal. which sort of confirmed to me that this was a cold issue.

I've used the camera most days since then and not seen the issue again until today. but today I grabbed it from my office and turned it on indoors (it's fairly warm inside despite the snow out), same issue again. menus same, live view same, image review same. turned it off and on a few times, didn't help. went to grab phone to take a photo of the issue, back to normal.

so now I'm not sure if it's the cold, or a loose connection, or the screen is dying, or something more terminal...

any ideas?

(sorry for the long post, just wanted to make sure all the info was there)

03-18-2018, 07:37 AM   #2

There may be moisture build up in the camera body. Put the body with a lens loosely mounted (not locked) in an airtight container with some dessicant packs (silica gel or chemical dehimudifier) and leave it in there for a minimum of 2 days. Uncooked rice is supposed to work (put it in a spare sock or two). Some company had machines in stores that you can dry out cell phones or compact digital cameras, I think they were going to have larger ones for DSLRs. I forgot which store chain had the machines. There was a post on this a couple years ago.
03-18-2018, 07:57 AM   #3

Original Poster
you think may be residual from condensation from when it was cold the other week? seems logical
03-18-2018, 12:22 PM   #4
Pentaxian

the problem could be here. I have experienced the same behavion on my K-5 camera after DIY conversion to infrared. I put a paper jam between the rear panel and the connector

Last edited by Medex; 08-02-2018 at 04:04 AM.