Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2018, 02:57 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Cable Release Terminal

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I am new owner of K-5 II from two months. I am still experimenting with the camera but up till now I am very satisfied of my new Pentax. I cannot find any answer in Operating Manual about the socket below memory card slot. It is described as Cable Release Terminal only in Manual - page 20. What is it for? For ear phones like for mobile devices?. I cannot found any details about the socket in manual. Could any User of K-5 could answer to the question? Here is a picture.

Thanks for any advice.

Attached Images

04-03-2018, 03:25 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is a Pentax accessory which has a plug on it just like a headphone but is really a trigger signal. On Bulb the trigger can hold the shutter open.

“Pentax Cable Switch 205“
~$50 at Adorama

Other brands will work to I assume but I have the above and it works on my K5 and K3
04-03-2018, 03:30 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JKoch Quote
What is it for?
It is for plugging in a wired (or wireless) remote shutter release. It uses a 2.5mm TRS (tip/ring/sleeve) plug.
04-03-2018, 03:31 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It accepts remote wired shutter releases such as this one (Canon RS-60 E3 Remote Switch (2') for Sub-Mini (E3)), which I've been using on my various generations of Pentax DSLRs, including the K-5.

04-03-2018, 03:48 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been using a cheaper Viltrox cable release for nearly 12 months with few complaints. Plug sometimes dislodges slightly from socket so it might seem it is not working but once aware of it it's easy to just push it back in firmly.
04-03-2018, 03:54 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all. These answers are fully detailed for me. I just go to examine my new Pentax back - nearly incessantly last weeks :-).
04-03-2018, 03:57 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It uses the same connector as the low end Canon EOS cameras. You can get one on eBay for less than $2.00...

RS-60E3 Shutter Release Remote Control Cable f Canon EOS Digital Rebel PENTAX | eBay

04-03-2018, 04:40 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I had to file down the plastic base of the type of remote switch I got for it to fit deep enough and work consistently. A shortcut to the product is below.

Vello RS-C1II Wired Remote Switch for Select Cameras RS-C1II B&H
04-03-2018, 04:56 PM - 1 Like   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

That little fitting is extremely useful. To summarize the comments above:
  • It is intended for use with the Pentax CS-205 wired remote (Review)
  • It is also compatible with a number of third party wired remotes and intervalometers such as the Bower unit I own (Review)
  • Both full and half-press are supported as is AF (menu-->"C"-->18)
  • Compatible wireless triggers are also available for long distance remote. It is possible to sync multiple camera bodies using such triggers.
In regards to intervalometers...those are a special type of remote that is capable of doing long timed exposures (camera in B-mode) as well as exposures at intervals far beyond those supported by the camera itself. I have used mine to do timed exposures longer than 30s in interval and also combination with built-in interval mode to produce intervals at interval.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-03-2018 at 05:15 PM.
04-04-2018, 10:07 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you Steve for detailed summary. The Bower RCLC1R device is very interesting and surprisingly versatile one.