Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-15-2018, 05:23 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

55/300 F4/5.8 ED HD WD and a K5

I just received this lens after a long wait on a backorder. The AF function doesn't seem to be engaging. It make an initial search then seems to disengage and what I think is the motor just spins, The only thing I can do is to remove the battery to stop it. A note to B&H suggested to remove the lens, turn the camera off for two minutes, reattach the lens and turn the camera back on. Didn't work. Send help. Thanks

04-15-2018, 05:38 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MichaelS Quote
I just received this lens after a long wait on a backorder. The AF function doesn't seem to be engaging. It make an initial search then seems to disengage and what I think is the motor just spins, The only thing I can do is to remove the battery to stop it. A note to B&H suggested to remove the lens, turn the camera off for two minutes, reattach the lens and turn the camera back on. Didn't work. Send help. Thanks
Is your battery getting old, of low quality, or not fully charged?

Also, you should clean your lens mount, and wiggle the lens slightly after mounting to ensure that the gears are engaged.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-15-2018, 06:04 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Is your battery getting old, of low quality, or not fully charged?

Also, you should clean your lens mount, and wiggle the lens slightly after mounting to ensure that the gears are engaged.
Battery is fully charged but might be old. I cleaned the contacts on both the lens and camera. No luck. Thanks though.
04-15-2018, 06:05 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by MichaelS Quote
Battery is fully charged but might be old. I cleaned the contacts on both the lens and camera. No luck. Thanks though.
If it's the original battery that came with your K-5, it's probably not able to deliver the current needed for extended AF operation with a lens like this. Could you post a video of what happens, so we can make sure that's the issue?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-15-2018, 06:16 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I switched out my Pentax battery for a newer and fully charged ProMaster battery which I use while the Pentax is charging. No luck. I should have mentioned earlier that I had no trouble when I attached this lens to my istD body. Worked fine the first time.
04-15-2018, 07:17 PM - 1 Like   #6
Forum Member

Is this lens screw-drive AF? IIRC, had an issue on my K-50 where the focus selector switch can get bumped to a "between M and AF" state where the screw drive mechanism isn't fully extended or retracted but the camera still registers AF mode. Unfamiliar with the K-5, but give it a look.
04-16-2018, 05:04 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Yes, try the suggestion above in making sure the camera is “all the way” in autofocus mode.

04-16-2018, 06:06 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well I've tried several things. Yes, it is screw drive. I checked the AF knob and it seems secure and everything works when I attach another lens to the k5 body. The new 55/300 also works fine when I attach it to an older, slower and clunckier *istD body. We're going to the camera store today and see what they say but Pentax is not abundant here. thanks to you all for the effort.
04-16-2018, 11:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Is the AF working correctly with other screw drive lenses? If so it is kind of baffling. I would switch AF on and off several times and try again.