Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2018, 12:40 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The video quality really takes a dive as the iso creeps up. I try to keep it as low as possible.

Can you introduce your own light to the scene?

Wider aperture helps of course, but makes focussing harder as less is in focus.

Tripod will help keep the bit rate devoted to the moving parts of the scene. Handheld can mean movement across the whole frame, and the quality can suffer.

All rather depends on what you are filming sorry.

06-27-2018, 02:09 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think the K5 does simple line-skipping, so you end up with the same pixel-level noise, but on a 2MP frame (1080p) instead of a 16MP one.
06-30-2018, 06:17 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
@Richandfleur, @Lensbeginner : Thanks.

Well, I guess that's why the newer cameras that don't do line skipping tend to overheat on video. Someone mentioned the GH5, but I read somewhere that the GH3 does pixel binning instead of line skipping. Wonder if the GH5 does full sensor readout. Anyway, this K5 (new to me) is a video improvement over what I was using (obviously am novice level here). I like the K5's having MJPEG output, because that format simplifies software arrangement.

I've been looking at Sony a6200 as next video upgrade, but read that it has heating issues on video (don't know how true that statement is) ... but reason could be it's doing full readout. One fellow said about 20 mins before auto-shutdown, but again I don't know that for a fact ...

Learning as I muddle my way through the options ...

---------- Post added 06-30-18 at 06:54 AM ----------

Muddling like I do with my cameras, I may have found a way to make the K5 do better in low light video situations (automatically). I set the "program line" option to "sports" - which on still shots would be fastest shutter (and associated wider aperture) - but on video seems to do the same thing but with open shutter, hence a bit better low light performance. Will update as I test this feature ...

Last edited by Ronaldlees; 06-30-2018 at 06:27 AM.
07-06-2018, 02:25 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I found this video mode work-around, which is slick:

K-5 Manual video mode workaround - PentaxForums.com

It allows the use of manual settings when shooting video. I guess I was being lazy when I didn't search the forum for this info! There are several other links with additional hints.