Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2018, 06:28 PM - 1 Like   #1

Pentax K-5 II Power Issue - Suggestions Welcomed

Hey, I recently purchased a K-5 II with just under 400 shots on it. The issue is that when powered on it seems that the rear lcd and shutter will hand and not work. The top Lcd and wheels will all work. The strange thing is that it freezes when powered off and needs the battery removed. Now eventually if the battery is removed and put back several times the camera will start and act normal. The camera will remain normal if it is power off and then on within a relatively short time, if left out it will go through the same cycle of not working. To me it sounds like either a power issue or a short somewhere. The fact the camera does power on eventually and work normally gives me hope but this is really a headscratcher. I don't mind taking it apart so if anyone has any ideas, feel free to let me know, thanks so much for reading if you did.

07-17-2018, 06:59 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Did you check and make sure the firmware is up to date?
07-17-2018, 06:59 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You may want to check to see if you are using an actual Pentax battery which is fully charged and not another brand. I had once tried off brand batteries and never used them again due to their failing and not holding power. I use just Pentax branded batteries now and am very satisfied.

Also, if you press your shutter button halfway, that may wake up the viewing screens/displays.

---------- Post added 07-17-18 at 10:05 PM ----------

You can also do a Reset of your camera menus. If you look under "Reset" in your manual it will tell you what to do. The instructions are on page 296 of my K-5 II/K-5 IIS manual.

Last edited by C_Jones; 07-17-2018 at 07:07 PM.
07-17-2018, 07:21 PM - 1 Like   #4

Original Poster
Hey, thanks for the replies.

1. Firmware is up to date with 1.07 version
2. Yes, I have tried a fully charged Pentax Battery. It is proven good in a regular K-5.
3. I have also tried all the Menu resets there are.

It seems that it is completely random when it chooses to start and when it won't at all. I do know that the little gray clip that holds in the battery does have a switch that gets pressed to let the camera know a battery is in, similar to the SD card door. If I sometimes play with that it will work which technically means that it is a power/battery issue but I can't seem to lock down a real cause or get any sort of consistency.

07-17-2018, 07:30 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

You may want to make sure the sd card has been formatted in the camera in use. If you possibly could shine a flashlight into your battery compartment to see if the contacts are clean and not damaged that might tell you something also. If you can't find what is wrong, if you have any local camera repair shop that could assess the problem and tell you what the fix may be that might help.

Last edited by C_Jones; 07-17-2018 at 07:37 PM.
07-17-2018, 07:46 PM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
Yes, both the card has been formatted and the contacts are clean, it is a fairly unused camera. I am going to assume it is a fault on the mainboard somewhere. Not sure when there is a weird bug like this if there is anything that can be done besides replacing it. If it helps when it loads up and freezes and then the power is turned off, the top lcd will display the amount of pictures left, from then on it will not act properly until the battery is removed several times. More than likely a camera shop would just replace a whole part and never find the real cause. I mean it could just be a switch or something simple so I figured I'd ask around.
07-17-2018, 08:28 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Most likely you will get more feedback. I myself have experienced freeze ups, but it was not an ongoing occurrence. I too would remove the battery, wait a moment, place it back in, turn on the camera, and it would usually act normally after that.

Good luck.
08-23-2018, 07:02 AM   #8

Do you have any local service that you could ask have they dealt with similar issue?

08-23-2018, 07:02 AM   #9

Do you have any local service that you could ask have they dealt with similar issue?
08-23-2018, 12:54 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by apentacitis Quote
It seems that it is completely random when it chooses to start and when it won't at all. I do know that the little gray clip that holds in the battery does have a switch that gets pressed to let the camera know a battery is in, similar to the SD card door. If I sometimes play with that it will work which technically means that it is a power/battery issue but I can't seem to lock down a real cause or get any sort of consistency.
Based on this one fact, I'd bet you have a bad battery clip switch, or whatever the switch under that retainer clip is called. It could be causing some intermittent issues with the camera which might give you some of the issues you're seeing. Worth checking into that, and cleaning the contact points for the switch or perhaps replacing it.