Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2019, 05:38 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Another question for you K-5 users, and Mark is on a short break with his wife so I don't know if he'll be able to answer me.

I had the camera set on TAV and was trying to highlight the ISO, I pushed the ISO button, but the camera would not highlight the ISO on the back of the camera. This never happened before. Anytime, I'm shooting, I could press the ISO button and it would highlight the ISO and I could use the back wheel and change it. Not so yesterday.

What's going on?

05-05-2019, 12:59 PM   #32
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In TAv mode, the camera always controls the ISO setting based on your shutter speed and aperture selections, so the ISO button becomes functionless. This isn't specific to the K-5 series, but also the K-3 series. I'm not sure if the K-1 and K-1II implement it any differently, but I'd doubt it.

So, your camera is operating as it should
05-05-2019, 05:48 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I concur with Mike.
05-05-2019, 06:24 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I don't remember it doing that in TAV mode. I thought I could highlight it and change it from 1600 to 1250. Maybe I'm thinking it highlights in M mode and I could change ISO then.

I can change it using the info button instead of the ISO button in TAV mode.

Thanks Mike and Mark!

05-06-2019, 05:21 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I don't remember it doing that in TAV mode. I thought I could highlight it and change it from 1600 to 1250. Maybe I'm thinking it highlights in M mode and I could change ISO then.

I can change it using the info button instead of the ISO button in TAV mode.

Thanks Mike and Mark!
No problem. If you need me to run a check on mine, I can do.
05-08-2019, 04:09 AM - 1 Like   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
No problem. If you need me to run a check on mine, I can do.
It was what I remembered it was, I could change it in M mode but not in TAV except with the info button, I could lower it. Just had a brain freeze is all.
1 Day Ago   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I got another question. I did warn you I'd be back with more, didn't I?

I turned the camera on yesterday, setting was in M mode, I knew I should be able to change ISO setting in this mode but no matter how many times I tried, I couldn't get it to highlight the ISO with the ISO button. Then I noticed a strange object up on the back LCD, it showed what looked like and asterisk symbol. So in desperation, I turned the camera off and back on again, and this cleared the object from the back LCD. I still don't know how it happened, I hadn't changed anything, made no settings different from my shooting yesterday.

Can anyone tell me what that was and how it got there?
16 Hours Ago   #38
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I got another question. I did warn you I'd be back with more, didn't I?

I turned the camera on yesterday, setting was in M mode, I knew I should be able to change ISO setting in this mode but no matter how many times I tried, I couldn't get it to highlight the ISO with the ISO button. Then I noticed a strange object up on the back LCD, it showed what looked like and asterisk symbol. So in desperation, I turned the camera off and back on again, and this cleared the object from the back LCD. I still don't know how it happened, I hadn't changed anything, made no settings different from my shooting yesterday.

Can anyone tell me what that was and how it got there?
I've never seen that before. In what part of the display was the asterisk?

8 Hours Ago   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've never seen that before. In what part of the display was the asterisk?
On the back LCD, on top along the row where it shows SR, AF.S, Spot meter and Battery level, this asterisk, showed up on the left side, just to the right of M where it depicts which mode I'm in.

And I've never seen it before either.
7 Hours Ago   #40
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On the back LCD, on top along the row where it shows SR, AF.S, Spot meter and Battery level, this asterisk, showed up on the left side, just to the right of M where it depicts which mode I'm in.

And I've never seen it before either.
Aha! Page 121 of your manual. You've pushed the AE-L (Exposure Lock) button. That illuminates the asterisk and explains why you can't change the setting.
7 Hours Ago   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I can change it using the info button instead of the ISO button in TAV mode
You can use the info button to change the limits for ISO for any mode that uses auto ISO including TAv. What you cannot do in TAv mode is to select an ISO for the camera to use. In TAv mode the camera will select it's own ISO value within the limits you have set for it.

The asterisk symbol usually indicates exposure lock has been activated. I suspect you pressed the button on the camera. When exposure is locked you cannot change any parameter until you either take a picture; press the exposure lock button again; or let the lock time-out, usually a few seconds.
7 Hours Ago   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Aha! Page 121 of your manual. You've pushed the AE-L (Exposure Lock) button. That illuminates the asterisk and explains why you can't change the setting.
Page 121, of a manual I've never read any of except to see how to put the batteries in K-x

But the AE-L button sits on the back right side of the camera and I could have pushed it when I picked up the camera to turn it on.

Thanks Mark.
6 Hours Ago   #43
Pentaxian

Page 121, of a manual I've never read any of except to see how to put the batteries in K-x

But the AE-L button sits on the back right side of the camera and I could have pushed it when I picked up the camera to turn it on.

Thanks Mark.
If you have your sound effects set to on then you should hear a beep similar to the focus lock beep as soon as you push the AE-L button with the camera on. You should be able to set up the sound effects in the wrench menu with selectable options to turn certain sound effects on/off.
6 Hours Ago   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
If you have your sound effects set to on then you should hear a beep similar to the focus lock beep as soon as you push the AE-L button with the camera on.
I don't think I'd hear that. My hearing isn't all that good and my hearing in left ear which is closet to the camera is totally blank in the hearing department. But thanks for the tip, if I ever get a hearing aid so I can hear better.