Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2018, 11:52 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-5 II memory card issue

All,

I have now had my K-5II give me error messages with two separate 128gb SDXC cards, wherein after a certain point, they will not record any further images, despite not nearly being full. Does the firmware have a 64gb limit? Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

11-02-2018, 12:02 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by toukan Quote
I have now had my K-5II give me error messages with two separate 128gb SDXC cards, wherein after a certain point, they will not record any further images, despite not nearly being full. Does the firmware have a 64gb limit? Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.
If it does, I don't believe it is documented. Which brand card are you using?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-02-2018, 12:22 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
they are both the Micro Center store brand. I have used a dozen of their brand cards before and never had an issue. They also both seem to have given the error after a certain number of images were on the card. When i have both in front of me, i will look at the exact number of images.

here is a link:
Micro Center 128GB SDXC Class 10/UHS-1 Flash - Micro Center
11-02-2018, 01:24 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No the 5 series is rated for SDXC cards so 128 should be fine. I've had issues with cards when they weren't formatted in camera.

11-02-2018, 04:26 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
" I've had issues with cards when they weren't formatted in camera."

This.
11-04-2018, 05:32 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Agreed you should only format camera cards in the camera. Even then there can be times the cards mess up so a low level format may straighten out the problem. For this the SD Association has a software made for formatting the cards on a computer without damaging a partition the camera uses on the card....OK try this....

Download this software SD Memory Card Formatter - SD Association

Look for and run the low level format. Then try your card in the camera again and see if it errors.. If so then your cards are bad.