Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2018, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stub Quote
I did my first wedding shoot as a second shooter last weekend. I have to say The K1 really struggled.. I thought to myself, any camera would struggle in these conditions.. Except the Pro photographer I was working along side with his Sony mirrorles didnt seem to...!!
Wedding photography is unforgiving. Lots of things happening, crowds, only one chance at some key moments, etc. I'd expect that everyone struggles during their first wedding shoot.

The Sony photographer has done it before. I don't think the camera brand was as important as their experience.

11-16-2018, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can use old K mount lenses... The very lenses that may fit but were outlawed by Ricoh and deemed unsuitable at the K1 launch.
Outlawed??
11-16-2018, 03:13 PM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
The corners and edges of the resulting image will reflect the optical qualities of the edges and corners of the glass - rather than just the optical qualities of the areas more towards the center of the lens. So, essentially you are going back to the optical performance the lens showed with film (in a way).
So, if someone insists on corner-to-corner sharpness, s/he shouldn't use lenses that were never designed to deliver that.
11-16-2018, 03:40 PM - 1 Like   #34

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Wedding photography is unforgiving. Lots of things happening, crowds, only one chance at some key moments, etc. I'd expect that everyone struggles during their first wedding shoot.

The Sony photographer has done it before. I don't think the camera brand was as important as their experience.
That will have some relevance that is true...!!

Last edited by stub; 11-16-2018 at 05:53 PM.
11-16-2018, 05:25 PM - 1 Like   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
So, if someone insists on corner-to-corner sharpness, s/he shouldn't use lenses that were never designed to deliver that.
What I was trying to say is that lenses may render different results between being shot on a crop body and a full frame body. It's up to the photographer to use whatever equipment to create their desired images. Some lenses were designed for corner to corner sharpness. Enlarger lenses come to mind, but you don't see a lot of them attached to the front of cameras.

Also, sharpness isn't the only desired characteristic that is desirable in lenses. It's all up to the person behind the camera.

11-16-2018, 05:47 PM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Based on Winders experience I've been saying "A9 for weddings" for a long time. If I did another wedding I'd rent one. The K-1 was OK, but very inconsistent in poor light focus.
Have expectations changed in recent years? How did photographers cope before AF?
11-16-2018, 05:51 PM - 1 Like   #37

Have expectations changed in recent years? How did photographers cope before AF?
Same as we did when we only had B&W tele.... But now we just dont have to..... Dont live in the past...!!

11-16-2018, 06:02 PM - 2 Likes   #38
Pentaxian

Same as we did when we only had B&W tele.... But now we just dont have to..... Dont live in the past...!!
There is a big difference between "don't have to" and "can't do it". Perhaps the guy getting the great photos with a Sony is using brain-power and experience - tricks from before the age of AF - to cover for "inadequacies" of his equipment.
11-17-2018, 01:20 AM - 1 Like   #39

There is a big difference between "don't have to" and "can't do it". Perhaps the guy getting the great photos with a Sony is using brain-power and experience - tricks from before the age of AF - to cover for "inadequacies" of his equipment.
I've no doubt he was.... ! Or at least I hope he was...
11-18-2018, 09:26 PM   #40
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The very lenses that may fit but were outlawed by Ricoh and deemed unsuitable at the K1 launch.. I own two K1's and believe me when they are in a bag with my 15-30 and 24-70mm You certainly know about it...
"Outlawed"? Ricoh even produced a gallery of pictures taken by their staff using old and DA lenses, you could see clearly the ones that worked beautifully.

It's your decision to use pro f2.8 lenses like the 15-30 and 24-70. They are exactly the same size and weight as the Tamron versions for Canon and Nikon … it goes with the territory.

But the beauty of the K-mount means that one forum member travelled the world with the DA12-24 f4, the DFA 28-105 and DFA50 f2.8 Macro. Another did a tour of Western Australia with the FA77, FA31, and M20 on a bicycle, so if there's onerous weight in your bag, Stub, it was your choice!

I also own my own studio strobes.. The market 90% of which only operate in a manual condition. Im a loyal Pentax user. But Please dont put up an arguement for Pentax flash...

But I did. That it works the same way as the proprietary Canon, Nikon, Sony or Fuji systems seems to have been lost on you. And that by your stat ninety percent of pro work with strobes across brands is done in manual mode suits Pentax just fine. Trigger in the standard hotshoe like everybody else, and six light setup, here we go!

Mr Northrop only gave the accolade as a landscape camera as I remermber....
No, camera of the year, 2016, a year which included the Nikon D500 and Canon 5D MkIV. I mean, I just don't rate the bloke at all, but others slavishly follow him.

Point I was making on the filter system was that its an expensive choice in full frame,as compared to APSC....
The issue isn't APS-C or FF, it's the lens, Stub.

The Sigma 8-16mm is an APS-C lens, but doesn't accept screw in filters either, you pony up for an external system.

You may get your sport shots.. We all do,, But not with the regularity of the competition,,,
You originally said it doesn't focus enough, now you've changed your tune. I've not had any problem standing side by side with Canon and Nikon shooters and getting the same pictures!

This maligning - and Cameraville say it's usually by people who aren't sports shooters or who can't understand a camera's settings for a given situation - has to stop:

11-18-2018, 09:32 PM   #41
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I did my first wedding shoot as a second shooter last weekend. I have to say The K1 really struggled.. I thought to myself, any camera would struggle in these conditions.. Except the Pro photographer I was working along side with his Sony mirrorles didnt seem to...!!

? He was a pro. If you and I had his camera, and he was given a K-30, he'd destroy us.
01-11-2019, 06:25 PM   #42

K-5 is a great camera! But unfortunately her time has passed.
I used to really like K-1 before. But on reflection, I came to the conclusion that it was not necessary to rush to change to K-1 for the time being. Because the K-1 still needs good refinement of many of its functions. And the number of good full-frame photo lenses for K-1 is not enough.
As a result, I began to look more closely not at full-frame cameras, but at cameras with a cut-off matrix. Having studied the modern market of Pentax cameras, camera characteristics and prices for them, I came to this conclusion. If there is little money, but you want to change K-5 to a more functional (not full-frame) camera, then you need to take K-70. If money does not play a special role, then you need to take Pentax KP. And if you need a compromise between the two, then it is better then to take the K-3. And about the acquisition of K-1, wait another year, or better two. There will be new modifications, new firmware, new full-frame lenses. Lower prices.
01-12-2019, 02:50 AM   #43

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
? He was a pro. If you and I had his camera, and he was given a K-30, he'd destroy us.
"Pro" Just means he got paid for his offerings. Not that he was necessarily a better photographer than me and you Clackers...
01-12-2019, 03:16 AM   #44
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

"Pro" Just means he got paid for his offerings. Not that he was necessarily a better photographer than me and you Clackers...
I like the way you think, Stu ... salut!

But this is very easy to resolve ... what's the link to his portfolio?

Last edited by clackers; 01-12-2019 at 03:22 AM.
01-12-2019, 03:24 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
The marriage of a Pentax K-1 and old MF primes is a beautiful thing.
Yes, it is, and someone even started a thread with many great photos proving that K-1's make the most of high quality lenses no mater when they were made.

Don't let the idea of manually focusing deter you, either. I've found a little practice, along with occasional use of the Catch In Focus featruere to produce some great results.