Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2018, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #16
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

if you wish you can search, create a thread or add to an existing thread in the data base here at the forum for batteries and chargers:

Batteries and Chargers - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

you could end up helping yourself or your fellow members by doing so

same is true for other various accessories, cameras and lenses

11-18-2022, 04:19 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
I just purchased a used K5 from KEH a few weeks ago. I am trying to buy an extra battery or two.

I found an eBay seller that had them and I ordered two. Unfortunately, their description was wrong. What they were selling was the D-Li109, not the D-Li90. They were pretty good about the return, though.

So, now I'm looking at eBay again, and I'm confused. My camera came with a battery labelled as a genuine Pentax D-Li90.

The confusing part is that my battery has four electrical contacts, while all the batteries being sold on eBay seem to have only three contacts. This includes a couple that are labelled (in the pictures, not just the description) as Hoya Corporation D-Li90.

I know that the K7, which preceded the k5 by a year or two, also uses the D-Li90. I don't remember exactly when Ricoh bought Pentax. Were the K7's sold under the Hoya ownership?

Did Pentax make a running change from three contacts to four?

Will the three-contact batteries work in my K5? I looked inside the battery compartment on the camera and it looks like there are only two contacts, at positions 1 and 3.

This may seem like a silly question, but I just got burned by one eBay seller, selling the wrong battery. I don't want to get burned again.

Typical eBay battery: 2300mAh Camera Battery For Pentax D-LI90 K-5 K-5II K-5IIs K-7 K-01 K-3 645D 645Z 747180916478 | eBay

My Battery:
Can the D-LI90(E) battery from the K-3 still work on the new K-3 mk III camera please?
11-18-2022, 04:28 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JASMAZ77 Quote
Can the D-LI90(E) battery from the K-3 still work on the new K-3 mk III camera please?
Yes, I do that. Even batteries from my old K-7 are used on the new K-3 III
11-18-2022, 04:38 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
Yes, I do that. Even batteries from my old K-7 are used on the new K-3 III
Thank you.

11-18-2022, 10:37 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As StigVidar already answered, any D-LI90 can be used, so from the K-7/5/1

But I would recommend to use the D-BC90 external charger!

But no 3-rd party charger because they are all fast-chargers and lack the temperature control and switch off when one of the two cells
is full. (also 3.rd party batteries lack the temperature sensor inside, only orig. Pentax D-LI90's have that)

The 4-th contact on some OEM D-LI90's is law in Japan but not USA, EU etc.
11-19-2022, 03:21 AM   #21
dlhawes

Excuse me? its not the k5 forum at all! I looked up the batteries/chargers topics. Also what has my location got to do with anything? I got my answer so stop.
I would observe that an online forum such as this is a lot like a classroom environment in school. There are lots of folks reading this stuff, and answers to whatever question you may have could be useful to others who didn't "raise their hands". It's not for your exclusive benefit, so I suggest that you don't take it personally when people answer your question in a way you don't like or which may be repetitive.
11-19-2022, 05:51 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Folks, I have deleted a number of recent posts which were just getting argumentative and off-topic to say the least.

Closed Thread