Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2019, 03:13 PM   #1

Back button focus on a K-5-ii

Hello, I'm really an very old, new guy. I had a K-1000 about 30 years ago and then I sort of got out of photography (film got to be expensive). Now I'm a 70+ retired guy and bought a used Pentax K-5ii. I have a photographer friend who keeps taking about back button focus. Unfortunately he shots Nikon cameras so he can give me little tech help. I have looked at the manual repeatedly and can find no mention of back button focus. Is that a good thing to have the ability to do, and if so... which button does it?

I sort of liked the simplicity of the K-1000... you either got a decent picture or you didn't and it was all up to you.

I hope I'm not out of line in asking this, and I'll ask for your patience with this old guy.

Thanks
Mr.Magoo

02-24-2019, 03:16 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's the button on the back labelled AF

There is a corresponding menu setting which can tweak the functionality of this button, i.e. disable half-press focusing.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-24-2019, 05:11 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is also this that may help
Perfect focus everytime
02-25-2019, 06:09 PM   #4

Original Poster
Many thanks, I feel sort of silly, but thanks for the step by step. I’m going to give a try this weekend with my grandkids as “models”.