Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2019, 12:49 PM   #16
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
nice lens, I like my copy

consider posting a review if you want to:

SMC Pentax-A 50mm F1.4 Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

03-05-2019, 12:53 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
One thing is that A series lenses sometimes have differences in build quality, seemingly always centering on the aperture ring itself. A series lenses were sometimes made with plastic rings which crack or develop other problems. On a Pentax body that can control the aperture itself, put the ring into the A position and leave it there.

One area where the M series seems to generally outshine the K's is zoom lenses. I don't think any of the K zooms are really that well regarded where as there are some M's which seem pretty decent. A series zooms are as good or better than the M's, I think. I own none of them so take this all with a grain of salt. Some M primes seem better than K's but this can become hotly debated. I have seven of the M series primes and they're all pretty good to extremely great in my estimation; the M 40 probably the worst from an IQ standpoint, the M 50 1.7 the best.
03-05-2019, 01:14 PM   #18
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by buzzardluck Quote
A special Fat Tuesday thank you for all of those who reached out to assist me. I studied and learned and decided to purchase a SMC Pentex A 50mm prime F 1.4 lens, to work with my recommended K-5 camera body. It was very affordable and I'm looking forward to receiving it. Thank you again, I love this place!
Gongratulations on a new lens. It's always fun to get a new one.

Thought with A lens you have other options available, I suggest to keep the camera on M mode at first, so you need to make all decicions by yourself and have a chance to learn full control over shooting.
03-05-2019, 02:53 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That will get you started. Now you can plan your next lens purchase.

03-05-2019, 06:37 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
nice lens, I like my copy

consider posting a review if you want to:

SMC Pentax-A 50mm F1.4 Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
After I meld with it I will write a review!

---------- Post added 03-05-19 at 07:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
One thing is that A series lenses sometimes have differences in build quality, seemingly always centering on the aperture ring itself. A series lenses were sometimes made with plastic rings which crack or develop other problems. On a Pentax body that can control the aperture itself, put the ring into the A position and leave it there.

One area where the M series seems to generally outshine the K's is zoom lenses. I don't think any of the K zooms are really that well regarded where as there are some M's which seem pretty decent. A series zooms are as good or better than the M's, I think. I own none of them so take this all with a grain of salt. Some M primes seem better than K's but this can become hotly debated. I have seven of the M series primes and they're all pretty good to extremely great in my estimation; the M 40 probably the worst from an IQ standpoint, the M 50 1.7 the best.
Thanks for the info pres589...

---------- Post added 03-05-19 at 07:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
LOL...and no doubt that will be soon!

---------- Post added 03-05-19 at 07:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
Gongratulations on a new lens. It's always fun to get a new one.

Thought with A lens you have other options available, I suggest to keep the camera on M mode at first, so you need to make all decicions by yourself and have a chance to learn full control over shooting.
Right you are...I love the choice of using my old skills again; of course, as a buzzard you never know how it goes...lol.
03-05-2019, 07:28 PM   #21
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
. . . LOL...and no doubt that will be soon!
beware LBA [ Lens Buying Addiction ] and GAS [ Gear Acquisition Syndrome ]

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-05-2019 at 07:33 PM.
03-05-2019, 10:13 PM - 2 Likes   #22
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Aslyfox, no worry, I have NFM syndrome...no frigging money!

03-06-2019, 04:36 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This website provides a very comprehensive breakdown of every K-mount lens with related information. The basic site covers just about everything Pentax, bodies, lenses, accessories, you name it.
03-06-2019, 04:41 PM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Aslyfox, no worry, I have NFM syndrome...no frigging money!
I have somehow accumulated 140+ lenses and 115 cameras despite having no money...
03-06-2019, 04:46 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A special Fat Tuesday thank you for all of those who reached out to assist me. I studied and learned and decided to purchase a SMC Pentex A 50mm prime F 1.4 lens, to work with my recommended K-5 camera body. It was very affordable and I'm looking forward to receiving it. Thank you again, I love this place!
A shrewd choice for a fairly new user. Fabulous lens, especially f/2.8 + if you are a sharpness shooter but also has the classic fim era ability to promote the central subject by softening the edges just a bit - all manageable from the camera body. Have fun!
03-06-2019, 04:47 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I have somehow accumulated 140+ lenses and 115 cameras despite having no money...
I’ll gladly help you reduce your gear storage burden but you’ll still have no money.
03-07-2019, 10:41 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cobbu2 Quote
This website provides a very comprehensive breakdown of every K-mount lens with related information. The basic site covers just about everything Pentax, bodies, lenses, accessories, you name it.
This is a treasure trove of information, I cannot thank you enough!

---------- Post added 03-07-19 at 11:44 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
A shrewd choice for a fairly new user. Fabulous lens, especially f/2.8 + if you are a sharpness shooter but also has the classic fim era ability to promote the central subject by softening the edges just a bit - all manageable from the camera body. Have fun!
Thanks! Immersing my mind in the available information was a challenge. The info here was extremely helpful.

---------- Post added 03-07-19 at 11:49 AM ----------

Omg Boriscleto, that's quite an accomplishment! You have sight that few others have. wow. You are among the pantheon of Pentax gods....lol.
03-11-2019, 11:34 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
No you dont. The earliest series of K-mount lenses are designated SMC or smc, and are often refered to as "K". After that came the M series, then the A series. All three are manual focus and will fit you camera without an adapter. The A series will operate in auto exposure modes if the aperture ring is set to the A position.
Just be careful when buying used lenses. The last of the M42 screw-mount lenses were also labeled as SMC or Super-Multi-Coated. An SMC lens can be either M42 or K-mount.
03-11-2019, 07:54 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
Just be careful when buying used lenses. The last of the M42 screw-mount lenses were also labeled as SMC or Super-Multi-Coated. An SMC lens can be either M42 or K-mount.
But they are clearly marked SMC Takumar. K series lenses are clearly marked SMC Pentax.
03-25-2019, 04:36 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I will have to learn the various functions of the camera and lens relative to their working together by writing down each one and condensing it for use when shooting. The complexities will simplify with use. It makes me wonder if anyone has the brain to carry the various combinations of uses given the lens selections. I may have to limit my choices and get used to just a few. When I was a kid playing golf, I could shoot par with a driver, a five iron and a putter not to mention the lake balls I was using. LOL