Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2019, 05:47 AM   #1
Forum Member

K-5 II Firmware

Hello!
I have a K-5II and I recently updated the firmware version to 1.7, and I ended up finding color spots when I view the photos on the lcd and the camera is not focusing even though the photos taken in auto mode appear focused after being shot . Can anyone help?
Thank you

03-06-2019, 06:38 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Santos Quote
Hello!
I have a K-5II and I recently updated the firmware version to 1.7, and I ended up finding color spots when I view the photos on the lcd and the camera is not focusing even though the photos taken in auto mode appear focused after being shot . Can anyone help?
Thank you
1.7 is most current. Don' know about the spots on Live View ... strange. Just make sure they don't show up on your final photos. You sensor may need cleaning, if so. Or, there just could be a smudge or particle on the lens (happened to me outside while shooting; sky got dark spot; mine was particles. But with my k-5 it was sensor cleaning).

But your focusing should be better. Use AF Fine Tune to tune the focus on to your particular lens; save. De-couple the AF from the metering, see if that helps. I too have a K-5ii (seems to be the only APS-C camera in the Pentax line that is not plagued with problems). I often find exposure for a certain area my not always be the the area I want in the most focus. Expose with the "Green Button" first and adjust; set with the AE-L button, then half-press the shutter release button to get the focus you want. Set AF Settings to 11 points vice 5 points. Or maybe try 5 points, I don't know.

But I think more is better in this case. That is why I went from a K-5 to a K-5ii. And why, if I stay with Pentax, I might go to a K-5IIs vice anything else right now (k-3III, notwithstanding). K-3 line is discontinued and plagued with issue of mirror flapping. Pentax refuses to fix those out of new warranty, though the flaw is pervasive, I understand. They updated firmware to recycle the power internally to stop the flap but not fix the problem, which could be mechanical. So updating to that line is out. And K-1 is more expensive than I want. K-70 is a cripple with antiquated focusing, way below the k-5ii.

So if you can't get it to work the way you think you want (though I think the AF Tune will get you as close as you can get with the lens you may have) the only alternative in the Pentax line is a K-5iis, KP (I just don't like the throwback ergonomics), or upscale to $$$$ FF with K-1 (then you need all new lenses for FF).

So that is my take on the focus issue and some discussion of alternatives. Hope it helps. It is all what I have been going through myself recently. So, I thought I would relay.
03-06-2019, 07:39 AM   #3

Sounds like you have dead or "hot" pixels on your sensor. The firmware upgrade may have deleted previous pixel mapping. Re-run the pixel mapping function.
03-06-2019, 07:57 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Sounds like you have dead or "hot" pixels on your sensor. The firmware upgrade may have deleted previous pixel mapping. Re-run the pixel mapping function.
Geez ... never thought of that one. Thanks. Good point. Mine more anecdotal and experience. But yours a nice technical knowledge-base solution ... Going to run it myself, just to be sure.

Last edited by tper75296; 03-06-2019 at 08:13 AM.
03-06-2019, 08:24 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tper75296 Quote
Geez ... never thought of that one. Thanks. Good point. Mine more anecdotal and experience. But yours a nice technical knowledge-base solution ... Going to run it myself, just to be sure.
Hi!
Thank you very much for your suggestions that I will follow. I will also put this question to a friend who understands a little more than I do of these technical questions and if it is anything else I will come post here.
Once again, thank you all.
Big hug!
Santos
03-06-2019, 09:59 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi again!
Everything is fine now. The blur was a simple thing I had not remembered it was just the viewfinder which was out of tune. The color blurs when I changed the lens stopped doing this but also I followed the tip of the "Not a Number" if to keep with the same problem.
Thank you all
03-23-2019, 05:56 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hmmm ... dioptic correction! will get you every time ...