Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2019, 09:03 AM   #1
Forum Member

K5 and K7 bottom compatibility?

Hello there!
So i got a K5 for a bargain upgrading from a K30. I'm loving the camera, however, it has an ugly ding on the bottom plate which I reckon might also endanger the weather resistance of the whole camera.
I am willing to replace the bottom cover myself, but a part for the K5 is nowhere to be fount on ebay, I could only find a cople for the K7. From what i read the bodies are almost identical.
Can anyone tell me if the K7 bottom plate will fit on the K5 body? Preferably someone who has both the bodies and can make a side by side comparison.
Thank you!

03-21-2019, 09:19 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, the grip is the same so it would make sense.
03-21-2019, 09:29 AM   #3
Pentaxian

If the weather sealing is your concern you may want to put a dab of silicone on the ding and call it good. Replacing the bottom plate quite possible could impact the weather resistance. Water proof watches are often no longer water proof after the battery is replaced. I don't think I would take the chance.
03-21-2019, 10:02 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rangercarp Quote
Water proof watches are often no longer water proof after the battery is replaced.
Really?(*) Seems a critical design flaw. Who knew all those insanely pricey bracelets were one time use only.

* - Asked genuinely by the man who gave up wearing watches a long time ago. I hate the sensation of having my
wrist hairs plucked out.

Sorry I can't answer the original question. If they share the same grip that would suggest a strong possibility
but no guarantee. Perhaps Ricoh support might be able to confirm?

03-21-2019, 01:21 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shyrsio Quote
. . .
Can anyone tell me if the K7 bottom plate will fit on the K5 body? Preferably someone who has both the bodies and can make a side by side comparison. . .

This isn't quite what you wanted, but I have a shot of my K-7 and K-5iis together. The color and texture of the plastics are a bit different, but the shape and dimensions appear to be the same.
I've never taken either of them apart, so I have no idea about interchangeability.

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
. . . I hate the sensation of having my
wrist hairs plucked out.
Laser hair removal - Wikipedia

03-21-2019, 01:41 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I know the battery doors are the same as i bought a used K5 door (ebay) for a K7 a few years ago. If it were me and the damage isn't too bad, I would try to silicone repair mentioned. Good luck!
03-22-2019, 06:49 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Really?(*) Seems a critical design flaw. Who knew all those insanely pricey bracelets were one time use only.
The watches I wear have batteries that typically last for three or four years, often more. By that point the watch is probably pretty beat up anyway.
03-22-2019, 10:12 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
I already removed the bottom plate to check for damage... oops!
No really, I dont think I endangered the weather resistance in any way, because there is an insulation strip running along the edge of the plate.
BUT, on a closer inspection, i noticed tiny dust specs on the corner of the lcd adjacent to the damage(dust intrusion), so I guess the ding HAS damaged the WR. I gues the silicone option is not that bad. after all its not like I will dissasemble the camera on daily basis... and no, id doesnt look that bad either!
thanks guys!