Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-26-2019, 06:21 PM - 1 Like   #1

new user- cif & minimum shutter speed with manual lens

hi guys.
new to k5 and dslr world.
first question:
im using nikon manual lens. i have set use aperture ring to yes.
so in AV mode, is it possible to set a minimum shutter speed? so when I press the green button the camera wont attempt to go slower than that

question two:
i understand that I must "short the contacts" using aluminium foil in order to use cif. am I correct?

question three:
can I use continuous shooting with cif? if yes, during the continuous shooting, is the exposure fixed? I mean let's say I compose+pressing green button, then activate continuous cif, and suddenly the subject gets dark. since it is not possible to press green button during a continuous shooting, that behaviour is expected I assume

any help is greatly appreciated.

05-26-2019, 10:14 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zzzxtreme Quote
im using nikon manual lens.
Explain how you are using this lens. Unless you have done a Leitax or similar conversion, the rules for an adapted Nikon F lens are the same as for an adapted M42 lens.

so in AV mode, is it possible to set a minimum shutter speed? so when I press the green button the camera wont attempt to go slower than that
When using a lens without the "A" contacts on the mount, all auto exposure modes (P, Av, Tv, Sv, and TAv) fail over to Av mode. Pressing the green button will not do anything in Av mode. If you want to control the shutter speed, you must be in M mode. The green button in M mode will match shutter speed to the metered light coming through the lens.

question two:
i understand that I must "short the contacts" using aluminium foil in order to use cif. am I correct?
Only if the adapter or lens flange is made of a non-conductive material.

question three:
can I use continuous shooting with cif? if yes, during the continuous shooting, is the exposure fixed? I mean let's say I compose+pressing green button, then activate continuous cif, and suddenly the subject gets dark. since it is not possible to press green button during a continuous shooting, that behaviour is expected I assume
The answer is yes, as long as the PDAF system does not register loss of focus. Exposure is fixed in M mode, but will vary in Av mode.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-26-2019 at 10:20 PM.
05-26-2019, 10:57 PM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
im using nikon manual lens.
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Explain how you are using this lens.
OK...I just reviewed your recent posts and understand that you are using the Nikon lens mounted rough on the K-5 and have no experience with any lens on that camera, though you do have experience with adapted lenses on the Sony A7s. The rules go like this...
  • The camera will limit you to Av, M, X, and B modes. Attempts to use any other mode will result in the camera defaulting to Av.
  • In Av mode, the camera will set the shutter speed to match the metered light from the lens. Auto ISO will also be supported, though the ramping behavior may be unpredictable. There is no way to set minimum/maximum shutter speed.
  • In M mode, you will be able to set the shutter speed manually or use the green button for metered shutter setting. Auto-ISO is not supported in M mode.
  • There is an undocumented feature for manual aperture (stop-down) metering in M-mode that provides a metered EV scale in the viewfinder and also on the rear LCD display when the DOF preview ia switched on (main power switch).

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-26-2019 at 11:03 PM.
05-26-2019, 11:04 PM   #4

Original Poster
steve thanks a lot for your help. greatly appreciated!
I'm loving how small this camera is and not having to spend so much for apsc camera with in-body stabilisation

thanks again 🙏

05-30-2019, 09:18 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
I got my K-5 last summer and have been very happy with it so far. Hopefully you'll like yours as much as I have mine!
When using the in-body stabilization, you must half-press the shutter button until the 'green shaky hand' appears in the viewfinder. This is something I didn't know at first and isn't immediately noticeable.

If you haven't already, I'd recommend glancing through the manual and reading up on any of the features that catch your eye. http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-5.pdf
05-30-2019, 08:44 PM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ropuchy Quote
I got my K-5 last summer and have been very happy with it so far. Hopefully you'll like yours as much as I have mine!
When using the in-body stabilization, you must half-press the shutter button until the 'green shaky hand' appears in the viewfinder. This is something I didn't know at first and isn't immediately noticeable.

If you haven't already, I'd recommend glancing through the manual and reading up on any of the features that catch your eye. http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-5.pdf
thanks for pointing it out. I had to check again and indeed the green shaky hands appears when doing continuous cif, and disappears after few seconds if I remove my finger from the button. didnt notice that before