Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
06-02-2019, 10:24 AM - 1 Like   #1

monochrome with k5iis

Greetings
How do i shoot monochrome (b/w) on my camera?

06-02-2019, 10:49 AM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've always just used a software application to convert to monochrome...
06-02-2019, 10:58 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

there is a way to preset your camera but I do it like pepperberry farm

here is the operating manual:

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-5-2.pdf

pg. 197 - 198, pg 233
06-02-2019, 11:39 AM   #4
czl

Original Poster
Thank you to you both.

06-02-2019, 11:45 AM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by czl Quote
Greetings
How do i shoot monochrome (b/w) on my camera?
If you want straight-out-of-camera monochrome JPEG photos, change the Custom Image settings on the camera to "Monochrome" (p.197 of the K-5IIs manual).

Alternatively, if you're shooting raw, all of the raw development tools offer different ways to convert the image to monochrome...
06-02-2019, 11:49 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

As with the users above, I do monochrome conversion in post-processing. Using the in-body monochrome custom finishing works OK, except that it is JPEG only and I shoot DNG/PEF.

Steve
06-02-2019, 12:46 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For the ultimate in control, shoot color DNG or PEF and convert on your computer after the fact.

06-02-2019, 01:52 PM - 11 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

I shoot B&W all the time on my K-5 and K-1. Simply choose the Black and white in scene , make a few adjustments to contrast sharpness ect, add a B&W filter to add contrast too. once happy with what you are getting save the setting to one of your User modes, that way you can easily swap between modes whenever you want. I shoot in B&W to see what I'm getting AT the time of taking the shot. I always shoot in RAW+ so I always have the original to work with later in Post OR need a colour version of the photo, but I always like to see whats going on in the monochrome side, that way I can make a few adjustments to my photo there and then to get an even better shot. I've always been praised here for my B&W conversions, these have always been the Jpegs direct from the camera.

Last edited by cmohr; 06-02-2019 at 01:57 PM.
06-02-2019, 01:59 PM - 1 Like   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
I've always been praised here for my B&W conversions, these have always been the Jpegs direct from the camera.
And rightly so... those are great shots. The first one was masterfully observed and composed, if I may say. But they're all quite excellent. Nice work
06-02-2019, 02:21 PM - 3 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
And rightly so... those are great shots. The first one was masterfully observed and composed, if I may say. But they're all quite excellent. Nice work
Thank you very much.

The first shot was possible because I was shooting in B&W, so I was seeing the world in that way as I was taking the photos, I was on the bridge taking a lot of shots at different angles, In colour they were just photos on a bridge, the shadow was nothing special , but in B&W things looked a whole lot different, I could see the potential for the shot, so basically got myself into position and waited for the sun to move the shadow to the centre of the bridge, and took the shot I was hoping for. I'm not saying don't post process to do the conversions, but, for the sake of a few mb's and a jpeg as a guide even for later is good. I just, never get around to post processing if I'm happy with what I have.

Thanks for looking. And for the kind words.
06-13-2019, 06:41 AM - 5 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

Sorry...... just wanted to add.........

Taken as a storm cell rose up over my house, in a matter or minutes, you"ll see the Sigma 12-24 did an outstanding job, as did the Sigma 30mm/ f1.4 not to forget the wondrous Pentax FA *85mm / f1.4

best viewed on a 40inch plus screen.

Pentax in camera jepgs rule..........

I reserve the right, to come back, and post more Pentax, in camera conversions, ie, no PP, the actual jepg conversions direct from our Pentax camera's milliseconds after I pressed the shutter, after all, it's what Pentax gave us, direct from our Pentax camera's...................Personally, these days , I see a Digital body, as a film type. Each has it's own qualities..

Last edited by cmohr; 06-16-2019 at 01:24 PM.
06-20-2019, 07:10 AM   #12
czl

Original Poster
monochrome

Thank you all for your guidance. Those b/w photos are inspiring.
07-17-2019, 12:26 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I love to reprocess images as B/W in-camera with the digital filters option (play then down arrow on 4-way pad). The infrared simulation can be especially interesting
I just used that today on some cirrus clouds.
Attached Images

Last edited by jimr-pdx; 07-17-2019 at 08:34 AM.
07-20-2019, 09:00 AM   #14
czl

Original Poster
monochrome

Thank you for your feedback. A lovely photo of clouds. B/W is another perspective for sure.
07-06-2020, 05:58 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
Sorry...... just wanted to add.........

Taken as a storm cell rose up over my house, in a matter or minutes, you"ll see the Sigma 12-24 did an outstanding job, as did the Sigma 30mm/ f1.4 not to forget the wondrous Pentax FA *85mm / f1.4

best viewed on a 40inch plus screen.

Pentax in camera jepgs rule..........

I reserve the right, to come back, and post more Pentax, in camera conversions, ie, no PP, the actual jepg conversions direct from our Pentax camera's milliseconds after I pressed the shutter, after all, it's what Pentax gave us, direct from our Pentax camera's...................Personally, these days , I see a Digital body, as a film type. Each has it's own qualities..
If you raise the ISO to lets say 3200 you might even get some film-type grain.