Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2019, 01:25 PM   #1

Zoom lens advice

Hello.
I'm looking for a tele zoom lens for my Pentax K5. I can not change this camera in the next future and I have just a lens kit is SMC Pentax-DA L 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR ( and other fixed manual lenses). The budget is around 350 USD
I watch for a 55-300mm lens and find these (around me):
SMC Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED (used, around 160$)
HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED WR (new in box with two years guarantee, 360$ and used aorund 290$)
HD PENTAX-DA 55-300mmF4.5-6.3ED PLM WR RE (new in box with two years guarantee, 460$) over the budget.
Which one could be a good choice? I'm not a professional, I just use the camera in vacancy, and occasionally.
Thank you.

06-11-2019, 01:34 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The PLM is not fully compatible with the K-5, scratch it off the list...

The DA, DA WR, and DA L versions are all optically the same. The DA L has a plastic mount and lacks quick shift. Obviously the WR has newer coatings and is WR but is that worth $130 extra to you?
06-11-2019, 01:50 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Do you want to take photos during snow or rain? If yes, get the WR version (not PLM). You'll need to decide on new or used based on your desire for warranty, and the reputation of the used seller.

If you don't plan to photograph in bad weather, the used DA version will perform identically to the WR version, for much less money.
06-11-2019, 01:52 PM   #4

Original Poster
Yes, I found DA-L lenses, cheap of course, no one new, under 100$, without hood, but I don't like them. I suppose a good choice will be the new one WR, somewhere around 360$. There is a difference of 70$ between new and used one...

---------- Post added 06-11-19 at 01:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Do you want to take photos during snow or rain? If yes, get the WR version (not PLM). You'll need to decide on new or used based on your desire for warranty, and the reputation of the used seller.

If you don't plan to photograph in bad weather, the used DA version will perform identically to the WR version, for much less money.
Yes, I use the camera during rain or snow. I never found used one with warranty, only new one. I'm talking around me and is a criteria to evaluate or testing it on my camera...

06-11-2019, 11:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lonerider41life Quote
Yes, I use the camera during rain or snow. I never found used one with warranty, only new one. I'm talking around me and is a criteria to evaluate or testing it on my camera...
personally i'd take the WR. I took mine (non wr version) on safari once (dusty) and since then the AF is more hesitant. Not sure whether it relates to the dust or not.
But i think the WR will last you longer. For the price it is a very good lens.
I'd buy new. the price difference is not big enough..

However, 160$ is really not a lot for the non-wr if the lens is in good shape!...
06-12-2019, 09:07 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
However, 160$ is really not a lot for the non-wr if the lens is in good shape!...
That one (smc 55-300 non wr) I found it on a local auction site, in fact a private seller site, not like ebay, more like craiglist. Just see pictures, read description. If buy it, i must to trust and believe the seller...
So, I prefer the new one (with warranty)
06-14-2019, 06:57 AM   #7

I have been happy with the DA 18-270 ED SDM, find it covers about everything I want on vacation. Wide angle allows city street views or mass plantings at gardens and tele gives good views of architectural features, flowers, odd things a way off. It was about perfect for a visit to Kew Gardens last month, although sometimes I wished for an even shorter focal length; vast vistas there. Having the convenience of wide angle through tele on without having to change lenses makes up for any defects compared with prime lenses, gives me the opportunity to compose scenes without having to stop and change lenses. I also take along the WR 18-55 kit lens for those days that are damp, can always zoom and crop images with some quality loss.

06-14-2019, 07:53 AM - 1 Like   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
personally i'd take the WR. I took mine (non wr version) on safari once (dusty) and since then the AF is more hesitant. Not sure whether it relates to the dust or not.
But i think the WR will last you longer. For the price it is a very good lens.
I'd buy new. the price difference is not big enough..

with regard to the WR [ as well as AW ] language for Pentax gear

these thread are good ones to review:

About those WR body weather seals...User responsibility and best practice - Page 4 - PentaxForums.com

AW vs WR - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com

WR and AW lenses: a difference you may not even know existed - PentaxForums.com

they are not the same and may not mean what you think they mean
06-25-2019, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
@aslyfox@ thank you for thread links
06-26-2019, 04:00 PM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

you are welcomed
10-06-2019, 07:13 PM   #11

Sometimes a 50-135 goes on sale for $350 here. It might be a bit short but in terms of IQ it is very good. If you are going to buy a lens why not get the best for less. But for real budget consider the old F 70-210.
10-06-2019, 07:21 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lonerider41life Quote
@aslyfox@ thank you for thread links
So what did you end up getting?
10-25-2019, 07:19 PM   #13
Pentaxian

If you haven't made the purchase yet, I picked up a new HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED WR a couple of years ago for my K-5 and have had no troubles with it (apart from its not being able to get as sharp at 300mm as lenses that cost several times as much).

I should point out that, in addition to the previously-mentioned weather resistance, this lens uses the newest HD lens coating, as compared to SMC lens coating from the older 55-300mm zoom. The difference between the coatings is mostly subtle, but you might come across a situation where the newer coating might benefit you.

I hope this advice helps (if it is still needed).
10-25-2019, 09:09 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but why isn't the PLM fully compatible with the K5?
10-25-2019, 09:17 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Biff Quote
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but why isn't the PLM fully compatible with the K5?
New kaf4 mount. Firmware to work is for k50 forward only.