Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
06-13-2019, 11:49 AM   #1

Blemishes on images

I've been using a K-5 body for a few years and have been very pleased with its performance. I was out doing some work a few days ago and noticed some round blemishes on my images. Attached are two shots #1 with 21mm lens and #2 with a 50mm lens. The problem areas look the same using both lenses. Do I have some damage or something on the sensor??

Thanks in advance.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
06-13-2019, 01:00 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's simply a little dust on the sensor.

See here: Cleaning Your DSLR Sensor - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com

You K-5 has a handy function where the camera can check where on the sensor the dust is located. I don't have my manual handy now, but will add that information later.
06-13-2019, 01:24 PM   #3
Pentaxian

If you're like me, the dust may have been on there for a while, but it took shooting a clear sky to be able to spot it. I had all sorts of stuff on my sensor by the time I first discovered it. Now, I just keep a blower in my camera bag and have made it a bit of my routine to give it a couple of quick shots from time to time while changing lenses. That has helped a bunch.
06-13-2019, 02:05 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Below is the internet address for a listing of the "Rocket" blower. I use it on my lenses, but have never had to use it on my sensor. It is definitely effective in getting particles off of my lenses and as was already mentioned a blower can be of help.

Giottos Rocket Blaster Dust-Removal Tool (Medium, Black) AA1910

06-13-2019, 04:12 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

If a blower doesn't work, there's also a sensor cleaning kit. I had to use this to clean the sensor on my K3.

https://www.adorama.com/ipxisck.html?
06-13-2019, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
That's simply a little dust on the sensor.

See here: Cleaning Your DSLR Sensor - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com

You K-5 has a handy function where the camera can check where on the sensor the dust is located. I don't have my manual handy now, but will add that information later.
I used the dust mapper and noticed a few spots, thanks for the reply
06-13-2019, 04:27 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
If you're like me, the dust may have been on there for a while, but it took shooting a clear sky to be able to spot it. I had all sorts of stuff on my sensor by the time I first discovered it. Now, I just keep a blower in my camera bag and have made it a bit of my routine to give it a couple of quick shots from time to time while changing lenses. That has helped a bunch.
Thanks for your post

06-13-2019, 04:27 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
Below is the internet address for a listing of the "Rocket" blower. I use it on my lenses, but have never had to use it on my sensor. It is definitely effective in getting particles off of my lenses and as was already mentioned a blower can be of help.

Giottos Rocket Blaster Dust-Removal Tool (Medium, Black) AA1910
Thanks for your feedback!!
06-13-2019, 04:28 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
If a blower doesn't work, there's also a sensor cleaning kit. I had to use this to clean the sensor on my K3.

https://www.adorama.com/ipxisck.html?
Thanks for your reply, I'll check out the link
06-13-2019, 07:05 PM - 1 Like   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Before breaking out a sensor cleaning kit, consider the following...In the over twelve years that I have been shooting Pentax digital (K10D in 2007 followed by a K-3 in 2014), I have never once had to touch my sensor with any wet or dry cleaning kit. The rocket blower has been enough with no risk to the sensor. Of course, YMMV

Steve
06-13-2019, 09:23 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Before breaking out a sensor cleaning kit, consider the following...In the over twelve years that I have been shooting Pentax digital (K10D in 2007 followed by a K-3 in 2014), I have never once had to touch my sensor with any wet or dry cleaning kit. The rocket blower has been enough with no risk to the sensor. Of course, YMMV

Steve
Same here. I've never had to actually touch my sensor. A blower has done the job so far. I probably just jinxed myself though.
06-13-2019, 09:57 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I agree that the first option should always be a blower. As you say, YMMV because my K3 sensor had spots which only the cleaning kit could remove. I was only adding it as an option, not suggesting it as the first solution to try. Whether you have issues with dust may vary a lot depending on where you are. I live in an inland part of Australia, where the humidity can be very low and dust very pervasive. If possible, I try to minimise changing lenses. Sometimes I even take the K5 with a wide angle lens and use the K3 for the DFA 150-450.
06-13-2019, 10:19 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Whether you have issues with dust may vary a lot depending on where you are. I live in an inland part of Australia, where the humidity can be very low and dust very pervasive.
Absolutely! While there is plenty of dust in my region, it is not legendary dustiness (e.g. Australian Outback or Burning Man), for which I am thankful. There are also various qualities of dust. We have some PF members who live in areas with sticky pine pollen that almost always requires wet cleaning.

Steve
06-14-2019, 05:28 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Doesn't the K-5 have a start up dust remover when you turn it on? I thought it did and mine is set to do that on start up. My K-50 has one for start up and shut down and so far no dust has gotten on the sensor, plus I'm careful when changing lenses in the field, I hold the camera opening down so no dust gets in.
06-15-2019, 06:04 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Doesn't the K-5 have a start up dust remover when you turn it on? I thought it did and mine is set to do that on start up. My K-50 has one for start up and shut down and so far no dust has gotten on the sensor, plus I'm careful when changing lenses in the field, I hold the camera opening down so no dust gets in.
I've run the sensor shaker option many times and will check to see if that may have removed the dust. I did set the shaker to operate on power up. Will take some sky shots soon and see if the problem is fixed. Thanks for your post!! Maybe a blower should go in my bag. Kind of nervous about touching the sensor to clean it.