Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-01-2019, 06:35 PM   #1

K-5 autofocus drive problems/repair?

Good evening, Long time Pentax user, first time posting... I have a Pentax K-5 (that was modified for astrophotography by Spencer's camera) with an issue with the autofocus motor. Specifically, switching from "Manual focus" back to AF. With a lens on, when I rotate the switch the camera wont come out of Manual Focus mode. With the lens off, when I rotate the switch from M (through AF-C) to AF-S, the "little blade" does not come out of the body. The AF worked after the camera was modified, so I know it wasn't an issue with this conversion.

My questions are: Does this mean the motor drive is "dead"? If so, can I salvage the AF drive parts from my K10? Who, in Georgia (or Southeast US), would y'all recommend for the repair? Yeah, I know the cost of repair may be what a used K-5 (or even K-3) would cost. But, since this has already been modified, I'd like to hold onto it as long as it produces good images.

Thanks!!!

11-01-2019, 06:46 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Have you tried wiggling/pulling on the little blade with the camera in set to AF? The blade is lightly spring loaded and maybe it's just stuck.

If the motor were dead, the blade would still pop-out so it's seems more likely that the motor is fine but something in the switch-spring-blade is stuck or broken.
11-01-2019, 07:13 PM   #3

Original Poster
Yeah, I tried that... no luck.
11-01-2019, 07:29 PM - 1 Like   #4

You can try KEH Camera in Smyrna, GA.

They should be able to get parts. Without looking at the service manual parts lists there is no way of know before had if the parts are interchangeable between the K10D and K-5.

What modifications did Spencer do? KEH would have to know so they don't undo them.

11-01-2019, 07:47 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks! Appreciate the help! I’ll check with them early next week.

The modifications were removing the “IR cut filter” so the camera would be able to photograph “hydrogen alpha emission nebula” (like the Horsehead nebula in Orion) and adding a passive cooling chip behind the sensor.
11-02-2019, 07:12 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is the lens locking pin (above the electrical contacts) moving in and out correctly when you activate the lens release button? There is a lever in the body that retracts the AF blade when you press the lens release button. The sticking could be at the button end.
11-03-2019, 03:06 PM   #7

Original Poster
Yeah, the lens lock extends/retracts without a lens mounted, and it locks up when lenses are mounted.

---------- Post added 11-03-19 at 03:24 PM ----------

But, when I tested the lock without a lens mounted the AF blade "wiggled" (for lack of a better word) ever slightly.