Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2020, 12:03 PM   #31

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
You wrote Jan 2018 (i.e. over 2 years ago):

So where is this "little balance"?

WR doesn't mean you're allowed to have a nice bubble-bath session with your K5 or K3.
I would be disappointed as well, but with myself!
It is a little balance. This isn't my first rodeo. It isn't the first camera I've used. If you shoot seascapes, you're going to get wet once in a while. It's just reality. I don't abuse my gear. I've never dropped the K5. But it gets used outdoors. It hasn't held up as well as I had hoped. I spent years shooting with an Olympus E-1 in the same conditions. That camera never had an issue. Everything still works on that camera. It got treated exactly the same as my K5. It's just built better. Sorry I'm not a Pentax fanboy, I'm just giving my honest opinion.

04-09-2020, 04:03 AM - 3 Likes   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You don't understand the difference between Water Proof (IP Code) and WR!

Pentax does make it very clear that WR does not mean "Water Proof" but "Weather Resistant" and I read it several times that they actually
very clearly point at the fact, that WR does NOT MEAN Waterproof and do not fullfill the IP code!

Here features of the K5 when it was introduced:

03Dustproof, weather-resistant construction to assure solid performance under demanding conditionsTo prevent rain, dust, sand and other foreign substances from entering the camera body, the K-5 features a dependable dustproof, weather-resistant construction. Special seals are meticulously applied to all buttons and dials, all seams between outer body parts, and all movable parts such as the back cover. Both the optional D-BG4 Battery Grip and DA-star lenses also feature the same reliable construction, completing a highly airtight photographic system that performs superbly in even the roughest conditions.

The Olympus E-1 and matching lenses are protected against water fulfilling the IP Code!
That's a different cup of tea and one should know and understand the difference.
Has zero to do with being somekind of Pentax fanboy, a rather silly and pretty childish way of arguing if lost in finding no real or sensible arguments.

So to make this statement:
QuoteOriginally posted by snakebite Quote
For a little balance, here's my experience with the K5. User for 7 years. Still using, albeit with much difficulty. Playback button has failed. ISO button sticks. Whenever i change the iso, I have to drag the button back up with my fingernail. Autofocus has failed. I focus everything manually now. Lenses lose f-stop function randomly. I have to rotate the barrel to get it back. Batteries seem to randomly drain with unusual speed. Yeah, it's a mess. I've spent way too much time fighting with my camera on my shoots. I McGuyver it and still manage to come away with shots, but overall I'm pretty disappointed in the quality.
and not fill in the reader that some years ago you had this experience:
I just had my own issues with water with my K5. I was shooting a beach and the camera got hit with a wave, which immediately screwed up most of the camera's functions. It wasn't underwater or anything, it just got splashed pretty good. Shutter release wouldn't work. Camera back display failed. Auto-focus failed. I had a hand-held shutter release button plugged into the side of the camera and I suspect that's where the water entered. The shutter released every time I turned the camera on, so I kept on shooting by just turning the camera off and on to take a picture. I generally get some temporary functional loss whenever the camera gets really wet. In my opinion, that WR stuff is mostly marketing. Keep your camera dry, if you can. That said, I used to use an Olympus E-1 that never flinched in the wet.
which shows that it was *YOU* who made a rather reckless mistake by not really checking that by using a handheld shutter-release-button on the side will for sure open some obvious gates for water (I have the K5 here and even one open .... so using the K5 as you did is inviting water inside!).

So particular what you wrote here:
... overall I'm pretty disappointed in the quality
is not the really applicable.

I would write:
I am pretty disappointed with myself having been rather reckless and thus almost wrecking it but I find it difficult to admit, it was easier to blame others.