Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
12-14-2019, 11:34 AM   #1

To buy or not to buy ( a used K5)

hello everybody,

i was buying a second hand of this great model of pentax,
then i read of all these problems k5 should/could have,
and so i contacted the vendor and told him i have to inform me better.

From the exif data it has:
shutter count 28000
the s/N is 4325172
Internal Serial Number 2011428
Manufacture Date 2012:04:21
DSP Firmware Version 1.16.26.29
CPU Firmware Version 1.16.26.29

So, i will be glad if you let me know you opinion about,
would you be interested in buying a used K5?
How many possibilities it has to be affected from the "mirror flop syndrome".
thank you very much.

12-14-2019, 11:44 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
have you seen the in depth review -

Pentax K-5 Review
QuoteQuote:
Introduction
The PentaxForums.com staff is happy to be bringing out our first full-scale camera review! In this review, we'll cover just about all aspects of the new Pentax K-5 DSLR. Enjoy!
Read more at: Pentax K-5 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

and the user reviews -

QuoteQuote:
Description:
The Pentax K-5 DSLR was developed using the Pentax K-7 as its base; the K-5 inherits the user-friendly operation, array of advanced features and compact, lightweight body of its predecessor, yet it is more resourceful with its high-speed, low-noise CMOS image sensor and high-performance PRIME II imaging engine.

The continuous shooting mode has a maximum speed of approximately seven images per second. It also offers a sensitivity range between ISO 80 and ISO 51200 (when expanded via a custom function) and Full HD-proportion movie recording at 1920 x 1080 pixels.

Other improvements over the K-7 are a faster autofocusing speed and an upgraded HDR (High Dynamic Range) function now usable in hand-held shooting.

The K-5 features a new-generation, wide-frame SAFOX IX+ autofocus system with 11 sensor points (with nine cross-type sensors positioned in the middle). The AF system has completely redesigned optics, and factors the light source at the time of shooting into its calculations so as to improve the accuracy of autofocus operation. It also offers a choice of shutter-release options - between focus priority and release priority in the AF.S (single) advance mode, or between focus priority and speed priority in the AF.C (continuous) advance mode.

The K-5 sensor is estimated to be 2-3 stops more sensitive than that of its predecessor, the K-7, meaning that a K-5 photo taken at ISO 6400 will look about as grainy than one taken at ISO 800 with the K-7.
Read more at: Pentax K-5 - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
12-14-2019, 12:22 PM - 1 Like   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought a used K-5 IIs just over a year ago and put over 16K shots on it since - I have no problem recommending one...
12-14-2019, 01:05 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought a used K-5, a year or so after release. Great camera and even though I now have a K-1 (a much better camera), I can't quite let my K-5 go yet.

During my time with K-5, I have kept an eye out on the forums for any issues (in case its something I should look out for!) and I'm pleased to say major problems are rare for these cameras. Also they are build like a tank and can take a lot of abuse. Also shutter life is pretty good (rated at 100K cycles I believe) - so 28K should be fine.

The issue I have seen over the years (none of which I saw with mine):
* Sensor stains. This happened on early released K-5s and were fixed under warranty so its probably unlikely to come across one.
* Mirror flop. I would have to dig back in posts now but from memory it was fairly rare and most cases were related to low or old batteries. Also I seem to remember there was a firmware update to address this
* Lens release button popping off. Not very common and not a super critical problem and some people got the part and fixed them selves from memroy

And one which does affect my K-5:
* Level calibration out. This seems to be more common than other things from what I have seen. Apparently its possible for a service center to fix this (or used to be at least) but not super cheap to do. I chose to live with mine being a couple of bars out (I know what it reads when the camera really is level anyway) and in any case level is nice tool to have but not essential.

So thats all I'm aware of and its certainly a great camera overall.

12-14-2019, 01:29 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
I bought a used K-5, a year or so after release. Great camera and even though I now have a K-1 (a much better camera), I can't quite let my K-5 go yet.

During my time with K-5, I have kept an eye out on the forums for any issues (in case its something I should look out for!) and I'm pleased to say major problems are rare for these cameras. Also they are build like a tank and can take a lot of abuse. Also shutter life is pretty good (rated at 100K cycles I believe) - so 28K should be fine.

The issue I have seen over the years (none of which I saw with mine):
* Sensor stains. This happened on early released K-5s and were fixed under warranty so its probably unlikely to come across one.
* Mirror flop. I would have to dig back in posts now but from memory it was fairly rare and most cases were related to low or old batteries. Also I seem to remember there was a firmware update to address this
* Lens release button popping off. Not very common and not a super critical problem and some people got the part and fixed them selves from memroy

And one which does affect my K-5:
* Level calibration out. This seems to be more common than other things from what I have seen. Apparently its possible for a service center to fix this (or used to be at least) but not super cheap to do. I chose to live with mine being a couple of bars out (I know what it reads when the camera really is level anyway) and in any case level is nice tool to have but not essential.

So thats all I'm aware of and its certainly a great camera overall.
hi,
so your k5 is not affected from the mirror problem that scares me,
may i ask what is the s/n and the Manufacture Date?
12-14-2019, 01:37 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've got a K-5, purchased new in December of 2010, been a good workhorse, now It's a second body to my K-3, still use it when I need two bodies for something, or my wife uses it.
Only couple of issues with it, have had the mirror flop occur, but rarely, restarting it or changing the battery will get you going again. My sense is that it's really a power (battery) problem, not an inherent problem in the camera.
When used for video, the sensor will overheat, and it shuts down. But I don't shoot much video, not worth fixing for me.

If the one you are looking at is a good deal, I'd go for it, they are good cameras and I've gotten a lot of use out of mine.
12-14-2019, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by K-Three Quote
I've got a K-5, purchased new in December of 2010, been a good workhorse, now It's a second body to my K-3, still use it when I need two bodies for something, or my wife uses it.
Only couple of issues with it, have had the mirror flop occur, but rarely, restarting it or changing the battery will get you going again. My sense is that it's really a power (battery) problem, not an inherent problem in the camera.
When used for video, the sensor will overheat, and it shuts down. But I don't shoot much video, not worth fixing for me.

If the one you are looking at is a good deal, I'd go for it, they are good cameras and I've gotten a lot of use out of mine.
My K5 has over 45,000 shots and is still in as new condition. Have upgraded to a K3 but still use the K5 as a second body as needed. Very robust and reliable camera.

12-14-2019, 02:13 PM   #8
Pentaxian

The K5 is a good camera. Just make sure that the price is right. All of the praise for the K5 II might not be applicable to the K5. From what I have seen here somewhere the mark two was a significant step up. Mostly low light AF, I think. The transition from the Hoya to the Ricoh era is also part of the story. In short, don't pay mark two money for a mark one and you are OK.
12-14-2019, 02:27 PM - 3 Likes   #9
Forum Member

I’ve been holding on to my K-5 since 2012. Flawless design, fantastic build quality, great output from the 16MP sensor.

I haven’t had the itch to replace it. I would have bought a K1 if crop mode would have given me more resolution for my DA lenses than the 16MP I already have with the K-5.
12-14-2019, 02:28 PM   #10

Original Poster
from your kind answers it seems the mirror problem was not caused
by a defective set of pcb mounted in a restricted range of time
and serial numbers, but only by faulty batteries.
From the threads i read the most of the times the problems arised
after 5-6000 shots and 1-2 years of use.
So 28000 and 7 years should be by then of danger, i hope
the price is 350 euro with 18-55 and 55-200
12-14-2019, 02:33 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I never had a K-5, but there are not a lot of complaints about them. There is a serial number database here that you could check. They are an older camera now so just make sure you don't over pay.
12-14-2019, 02:34 PM   #12

Original Poster
So 28000 should be by then OUT of danger, i hope
12-14-2019, 04:17 PM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks to all your replies ,
I think i Will buy the camera
Thank you again.
12-14-2019, 05:02 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-5 is still a great camera and that one doesn't have a crazy number of shots so why not?
12-14-2019, 05:50 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think it's fine. I had a K-5, and put thousands of shots on it. It is an amazing camera! As my first DSLR, I have a lot of love for it.

I think a lot of it depends on the price. But for me, its always difficult for me to recommend a K-5 (or any camera prior to K-5) and that is not because of flaws with a K-5... but it is because of the existence of the K-3! Unless the price is around $100, I don't think I can push people to that place. For ~$300 you can get a K-3, and it is such a big upgrade in almost every way. The AA-filter, 24MP sensor pretty much gives you the IQ of any (APS-C) camera that exists today, 2-card slots, AF features, Buffer. I'm not sure any of the APS-C cameras that have come out since this one (K-3ii, KP, K-70) aren't really that big of a detour.

So I would probably not recommend it... I'd instead save slightly more to get a K-3. But if that logic doesn't match what you care about... you will be getting a durable camera that will outlast your need, like most Pentax Cameras.