Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
12-14-2019, 06:51 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by grillotalpa Quote
How many possibilities it has to be affected from the "mirror flop syndrome".
I don't think K5 has a Mirror Flop Syndrome. That is earlier copies of K3.
Used to use a K5 and it was a reliable body. Its auto focus is of course using older tech and no articulated screen. They are the only 2 things I complain, Other than that, I think it is a great body.

12-14-2019, 11:48 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Buy k-5IIs
12-15-2019, 03:52 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sundown Quote
Buy k-5IIs
Only if the price is right. They tend to be priced very close to the K3, in some cases even higher. You miss out on 24MP, focus peaking and a few other things.
12-15-2019, 04:48 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Only if the price is right. They tend to be priced very close to the K3, in some cases even higher. You miss out on 24MP, focus peaking and a few other things.
Depending on the use case, but focus peaking through the rear screen is not the same as focus peaking in an EVF, really, not to mention Pentax's implementation is not as good as competitors'. So if you miss out on a feature like this in a DSLR - it won't be a biggie. On the other hand that 16MP sensor is delightful and a nice sweetspot for the Pentax limiteds , In my opinion

12-15-2019, 07:01 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
@Wasp
unfortunetly on europe ebay mean prices are
k5 300 euro
k3 450-500 euro
12-15-2019, 08:38 AM - 1 Like   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have two K5s. One has mid shutter count, (about 28,000), the other one almost brand new if you check shutter count, (about 3,000) and I've never had a problem with either one. I bought mine because of the K5 has the lowest ISO at 80. Here they sell for about $200 or less USD.
12-15-2019, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #22

Original Poster
At last i took it
For the little i've seen it's another planet respect nikon d40.
I thank you very much for your support.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Redmi Note 5  Photo 
12-15-2019, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

hi,
so your k5 is not affected from the mirror problem that scares me,
may i ask what is the s/n and the Manufacture Date?
Mine is serial no 4144257 and manufactured 2011:07:29
12-19-2019, 02:07 PM - 3 Likes   #24

At last i took it
For the little i've seen it's another planet respect nikon d40.
I thank you very much for your support.
Congrats! I am sure you are going to be happy with your purchase. I got my K5 in 2011 and never felt the need to replace it. Instead I invested in some great lenses to further boost the quality and creative options. The K5 is built like a tank, compact enough and never let me down. 16MP is good enough for me.

01-08-2020, 03:08 AM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes go for it, I have a K-5 and love it
Lovely colourful images from the sensor in this camera
01-31-2020, 09:01 PM   #26

Photos: Albums
Have had a slightly used K5 since 2012. It's been to seven Burning Man festivals. The harshest dustiest conditions in America. Looks like it was buried in talcum powder by the end of the festival. Has worked perfectly for years. Had to clean the sensor once. Killer great camera.
03-19-2020, 03:18 PM   #27

For a little balance, here's my experience with the K5. User for 7 years. Still using, albeit with much difficulty. Playback button has failed. ISO button sticks. Whenever i change the iso, I have to drag the button back up with my fingernail. Autofocus has failed. I focus everything manually now. Lenses lose f-stop function randomly. I have to rotate the barrel to get it back. Batteries seem to randomly drain with unusual speed. Yeah, it's a mess. I've spent way too much time fighting with my camera on my shoots. I McGuyver it and still manage to come away with shots, but overall I'm pretty disappointed in the quality.

Shane Venem | Flickr
03-19-2020, 03:52 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by snakebite Quote
For a little balance, here's my experience with the K5. User for 7 years. Still using, albeit with much difficulty. Playback button has failed. ISO button sticks. Whenever i change the iso, I have to drag the button back up with my fingernail. Autofocus has failed. I focus everything manually now. Lenses lose f-stop function randomly. I have to rotate the barrel to get it back. Batteries seem to randomly drain with unusual speed. Yeah, it's a mess. I've spent way too much time fighting with my camera on my shoots. I McGuyver it and still manage to come away with shots, but overall I'm pretty disappointed in the quality.

Shane Venem | Flickr

Sounds a bit like my K-x. Sometimes, after changing lenses AF stops working. Removing the lens and wiping down the mount ring on the body brings it back to life, most of the time. The bottom cover has cracked and the battery door doesn't stay closed, but duct tape works wonders. I picked it up about two years ago for $50 - perhaps I have gotten the value that I paid for. It's time for something more modern, but times are tough.
03-19-2020, 03:54 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Shane Venem | Flickr
My K5 works like new. In fact, it looks like new and I've shot 55,140 images with it so far. It's manufacture date is 16 June 2012. My daughter is using it now and enjoys it as much I I have.
Sorry to hear your's has not been as reliable!
03-25-2020, 01:29 AM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You wrote Jan 2018 (i.e. over 2 years ago):
I just had my own issues with water with my K5. I was shooting a beach and the camera got hit with a wave, which immediately screwed up most of the camera's functions. It wasn't underwater or anything, it just got splashed pretty good. Shutter release wouldn't work. Camera back display failed. Auto-focus failed. I had a hand-held shutter release button plugged into the side of the camera and I suspect that's where the water entered. The shutter released every time I turned the camera on, so I kept on shooting by just turning the camera off and on to take a picture. I generally get some temporary functional loss whenever the camera gets really wet. In my opinion, that WR stuff is mostly marketing. Keep your camera dry, if you can. That said, I used to use an Olympus E-1 that never flinched in the wet.
So where is this "little balance"?

WR doesn't mean you're allowed to have a nice bubble-bath session with your K5 or K3.
I would be disappointed as well, but with myself!