Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2020, 12:21 AM - 2 Likes   #1

SR with MF lens?

The K-5 arrived today. lt's really nice! l went through the owner's manual getting familiar with everything. The only thing l couldn't get is how to get SR with the 50 f/2A. Seems to work in live view, but not through the finder. l can see SR working thru the finder with the 18-135, but not the 50. l have SR turned on and selected the focal length of 50mm. ln fact, every time l turn on the camera with the 50 mounted, the select focal length screen comes up and l have to select 50mm.

02-28-2020, 12:27 AM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by camera_nut Quote
The K-5 arrived today. lt's really nice! l went through the owner's manual getting familiar with everything. The only thing l couldn't get is how to get SR with the 50 f/2A. Seems to work in live view, but not through the finder. l can see SR working thru the finder with the 18-135, but not the 50. l have SR turned on and selected the focal length of 50mm. ln fact, every time l turn on the camera with the 50 mounted, the select focal length screen comes up and l have to select 50mm.

if you have to input the lens' focal length, it's for the shake reduction, so the SR is on with the 50/2...
02-28-2020, 12:29 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

ln fact, every time l turn on the camera with the 50 mounted, the select focal length screen comes up and l have to select 50mm.
This is normal.

To be clear, Pentax in-body SR does not stabilize what you see in the viewfinder, regardless of lens. Are you saying that the hand symbol never appears with your 50mm lens?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-28-2020, 12:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

First, the in-body SR is done by moving the sensor itself. When you look through the viewfinder, you bypass the sensor completely, so you cannot see the effect of SR in the viewfinder. It will work on Live View, though, since the sensor -is- used.

Second, if the body is asking for focal length, it's for two reasons :
a) your lens do not transmit the focal length to the body, which is perfectly normal for a A series lens
b) your body has SR enabled, and has to know the focal length to tailor it ; if SR was not enabled, focal length would not need to be set

02-28-2020, 12:42 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
This is normal.

To be clear, Pentax in-body SR does not stabilize what you see in the viewfinder, regardless of lens. Are you saying that the hand symbol never appears with your 50mm lens?
So it is stabilizing the actual image but you can't see it in the optical finder?? Makes sense-never thought about that. But l thought l saw the SR in action thru the finder when l had the 18-135 on. Guess l was imagining things And yes, the hand symbol does appear with the 50 mounted.

---------- Post added 02-28-20 at 01:47 AM ----------

Maybe l was expecting to see SR thru the finder because l'm used to Nikon and Canon's systems, where SR is in the lens.
02-28-2020, 03:59 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
So it is stabilizing the actual image but you can't see it in the optical finder?? Makes sense-never thought about that. But l thought l saw the SR in action thru the finder when l had the 18-135 on. Guess l was imagining things And yes, the hand symbol does appear with the 50 mounted.

---------- Post added 02-28-20 at 01:47 AM ----------

Maybe l was expecting to see SR thru the finder because l'm used to Nikon and Canon's systems, where SR is in the lens.
If you want to see the stabilization working, switch to live view or video and move the camera around some. The SR will smooth your motions. As others have said, since it is the sensor that is stabilized, the viewfinder isn't, even when it is active.
02-28-2020, 05:41 AM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

one thing that drives me batty is when using a MF zoom

I set the SR when requested

and my EXIF data reads all photos as to what I set

70-210 zoom set for 100

it reads 100

whether zoomed out to 210 or set at 70

any thoughts ?

02-28-2020, 05:44 AM   #8
Unregistered User

In the viewfinder you will see at the bottom if SR is on. You can find that in your manual. You have to push the exposure button a little bit to have it turned on.
02-28-2020, 06:14 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
any thoughts ?
As expected. There is no electronic communication other than statically signalling the available aperture range for A-lenses.

I'd recommend to set some focal length in the middle of the zoom range for SR, something unique, which no other of your A-lenses has, so you'll at least be able to tell your A-lenses apart by looking at the EXIF data.

Which focal length depends on you use. Setting it to a short value makes SR effective for the short range and leaves the long one highly under-stabilized. Setting it too long will 'overcompensate' the shake for shorter FLs. On your 3x 70-210 zoom, assume you could set it to 140mm for easier math. In this case, 70mm would be overcompensated by a factor of 2, i.e. shake will be as bad as without SR, just the opposite direction. SR gradually getting better as you zoom in, perfect at 140mm, going to the long end still at 2/3 of the required compensation, where it is most needed. So for general use, I'd pick either 135mm or 150mm, tending to 150mm, because I do have 135mm primes as well. So as a genera rule, setting about twice the minimum FL avoids making it worse anywhere, while maximizing the benefits in the entire range under that constraint and may allow to tell your lenses apart from the recorded data later if this setting is unique in your stable.

If you however have a shooting situation where you mainly use the zoom lens for its reach, set it so something longer. Shake at short FL will then almost be as bad as 210mm unstabilized (2/3 of its magnitude if set to 210mm), but SR can quickly be turned off on the info screen.
02-28-2020, 06:19 AM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
As expected. There is no electronic communication other than statically signalling the available aperture range for A-lenses. . . .
never thought about assigning a " select " number to help with iding the lens

hmmm

I usually upload to the computer and note the lens used but the focal length is what I was hoping to be accurate

I guess I will just have to be satisfied with what the system can provide [ or use primes ]

thanks for the hints
02-28-2020, 10:56 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
one thing that drives me batty is when using a MF zoom

I set the SR when requested

and my EXIF data reads all photos as to what I set

70-210 zoom set for 100

it reads 100

whether zoomed out to 210 or set at 70

any thoughts ?

As mentioned, this is by design, but if you have "Save Menu Location" (C4 - 24) set, first use of the "Input Focal Length" (menu 'Camera' 4) will default to that when you press the Menu button, so the option to change focal length can be readily available (or just switch the camera off then on again!) Not totally convenient, admittedly, but probably better than most other manufacturers cameras when used with 'legacy' lenses
02-28-2020, 01:02 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bingo, you nailed it.