Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
04-21-2020, 05:42 PM   #1

K-5 no shutter sound

I recently bought a used K-5 from a camera store in Japan via eBay. Overall I am very happy with it. It is in great condition, takes amazing pictures, and I got a great deal. However, when I press the shutter button it makes no sound. The AF beeps, and the photo shows on the screen, but I hear nothing from the shutter. I thought at least I would hear the mirror. Is there something I can do? I don't thinks it's a bad enough issue to send it back to Japan.

04-21-2020, 05:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gludo Quote
I recently bought a used K-5 from a camera store in Japan via eBay. Overall I am very happy with it. It is in great condition, takes amazing pictures, and I got a great deal. However, when I press the shutter button it makes no sound. The AF beeps, and the photo shows on the screen, but I hear nothing from the shutter. I thought at least I would hear the mirror. Is there something I can do? I don't thinks it's a bad enough issue to send it back to Japan.
From reports the K-5 does a have a fairly quiet shutter, but you should still hear something... Especially if it's working and taking photos - in which case there probably isn't anything wrong with it.

If you're really worried, you could attach a video here for people to listen to.
04-21-2020, 06:04 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If it's working, maybe its fine. How are the pictures?
BTW welcome to the forum.
04-21-2020, 06:28 PM - 1 Like   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
From reports the K-5 does a have a fairly quiet shutter, but you should still hear something... Especially if it's working and taking photos - in which case there probably isn't anything wrong with it.

If you're really worried, you could attach a video here for people to listen to.
Thanks for the quick reply.

In every other way the camera seems to be working perfectly. It wouldn't do any good to post a video because there is nothing to hear. It's just strange to press the shutter and hear nothing.

---------- Post added 04-21-20 at 06:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mkgd1 Quote
If it's working, maybe its fine. How are the pictures?
BTW welcome to the forum.
Thank you.

The pictures are great. I am really very impressed. I guess I'll just have to get used to it.

04-21-2020, 06:37 PM - 8 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum!
If you're seeing the image appear on the screen but you don't hear the mirror, it may not be the camera that needs a diagnostic visit!

I'm reminded of the story of the old lady who goes to the doctor and says: "Doctor, I seem to be having a problem with flatulence - it's virtually continuous, but luckily the farts are silent and there's no bad smells."
So the doctor writes her a prescription and and three days later she's back. "Doctor, the farts are worse than before! Now they smell terrible!"

To which the doctor replies: "Now that we've fixed your sinuses, we'll work on your hearing."
04-21-2020, 08:08 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
I thought at least I would hear the mirror.
Hi Tim. If you have a K-5, then yes, you will hear the photograph being taken and no setting will change that.
But if you have the X-5 ( bridge camera ) instead, it can be set to silent shutter noise.

EDIT - Pentax X-5 - Pentax Compact Digital Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 04-21-2020 at 08:21 PM.
04-22-2020, 02:30 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi Tim. If you have a K-5, then yes, you will hear the photograph being taken and no setting will change that.
But if you have the X-5 ( bridge camera ) instead, it can be set to silent shutter noise.

EDIT - Pentax X-5 - Pentax Compact Digital Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
Well spotted pjv. That sounds the likely cause.

I hope the op didn't pay too much for it!

04-22-2020, 02:44 AM   #8
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Well spotted pjv. That sounds the likely cause.

I hope the op didn't pay too much for it!
Thanks Paul. Yes, fingers crossed for Tim.
04-22-2020, 03:54 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote

QuoteQuote:
Description:
The Pentax X-5 is a "bridge" point-and-shoot digital camera featuring many of the advanced features of DSLR and mirrorless cameras condensed into a single-lens body. Its shape resembles that of the Pentax K-5 DSLR and it will be available in both silver and black. It features a quarter-VGA electronic viewfinder as well as a 3-inch LCD on the back, both of which can be used for shooting videos and stills.

The Pentax X-5 was launched in August, 2012 at a price of just $279.

This appears to be a successor to the Pentax X-90, though the latter has not been available for several years.

Read more at: Pentax X-5 - Pentax Compact Digital Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

the most recent entry in the " user reviews " shows why PJV had such quick knowledge
04-22-2020, 05:24 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How about posting an image here with the EXIF data intact and we should be able to tell whether you have a K-5 or an X-5. Oh and welcome to the forum!
04-22-2020, 05:46 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Posting a cell phone picture of the camera will quickly settle to all whether it is a K-5 or X-5.
04-22-2020, 06:26 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

the op will be able to tell immediately

it is clearly marked on the front

the lens cannot be changed

it has a tilt screen on the back

as far as the rest of us knowing

well is that really all that important ?

and as far as any embarrassment that might be thought of

don't worry, we, or most, or some of us have done worse than misidentifying a camera or lens
04-24-2020, 01:16 PM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks everybody for the comments. This is a very helpful group.

As far as the camera goes:
1. It is definitely a K-5. I bought it body-only so I could use the lenses I already have.

2. I have exceptional hearing. And smell, for that matter, which isn't always a good thing.

3. Given the current social conditions, and the fact that there is nothing inside my home I wanted to take a picture of, I went outside a snapped a few shots just to make sure it works so I can leave a review for the seller. Turns out that was the problem: the shutter (mirror actually) is just so quiet that I couldn't hear it over the noise. Anyone who thinks the country is quiet has never been there. I took some pics inside, including the one below, and could indeed hear the mirror flipping up and down. Which is good, but the low sound volume may be an issue when taking pictures outside and/or in crowded environments, which is where most of my pictures are taken.

This is a really good camera. I'm glad I bought it, especially at the price: $177 with free shipping.

I know the equipment in the picture is out of focus. I just snapped the shot in Green mode without even looking at the settings or DoF. But the foam looks good!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
04-24-2020, 01:51 PM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

glad to hear your success story

looking forward to whatever contributions you choose to make to the forums

remember to have fun with your gear
04-24-2020, 08:14 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks everybody for the comments. This is a very helpful group.

As far as the camera goes:
1. It is definitely a K-5. I bought it body-only so I could use the lenses I already have.

2. I have exceptional hearing. And smell, for that matter, which isn't always a good thing.

3. Given the current social conditions, and the fact that there is nothing inside my home I wanted to take a picture of, I went outside a snapped a few shots just to make sure it works so I can leave a review for the seller. Turns out that was the problem: the shutter (mirror actually) is just so quiet that I couldn't hear it over the noise. Anyone who thinks the country is quiet has never been there. I took some pics inside, including the one below, and could indeed hear the mirror flipping up and down. Which is good, but the low sound volume may be an issue when taking pictures outside and/or in crowded environments, which is where most of my pictures are taken.

This is a really good camera. I'm glad I bought it, especially at the price: $177 with free shipping.

I know the equipment in the picture is out of focus. I just snapped the shot in Green mode without even looking at the settings or DoF. But the foam looks good!
Great to hear. (Spot the pun)

The K-5 is a lovely camera. I miss mine, although my daughter does put it to good use.