Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2020, 02:09 AM   #1

interval shooting and bracketing and HDR

hi there fellow pentaxians !
i have a K5
i've been trying to make a timelapse of the full moon rising and i noticed i cant interval shoot and exposure bracket at the same time .
would love to have a well exposed moon as well as the clouds passing by
does anyone have any ideas on how i could make HDR sequence of photos with this camera?
love to hear your ideas thanks!

05-12-2020, 02:36 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ravara Quote
love to hear your ideas thanks!
With the K1 you can combine interval shooting with the HDR in-camera feature. Perhaps the K5 can do the same ?
05-12-2020, 02:42 AM - 1 Like   #3

I do not think that you can do that with K-5.

Is it possible to combine HDR with interval shooting for K-1? I have found no way how to do that for KP.

I would buy a programmable cable remote like:

Timer Remote Shutter Cord for Pentax K-70 - JJC

and use it in a mode when a sigle press does several HDR shots.
05-12-2020, 02:50 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cport Quote
Is it possible to combine HDR with interval shooting for K-1?
The manual says it is possible but i have never tried it.

05-12-2020, 02:59 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
The manual says it is possible but i have never tried it.
My mistake - you can take HDR with interval shooting. I have just tried it on KP. Anyway, I do not think that this will help for K-5 as this camera does not support HDR RAW (if I remember well ... ).
05-12-2020, 07:19 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

I think the OP was talking about the K5.

In any case, the easiest way (assuming the camera can't do both simultaneously like the K-1) is to use a remote which incorporates interval timing and then set the K5 to HDR or bracket mode so each shot will capture a bracketed set of shots.

ravara, any chance you're good with electronics? There's a way to do this with an Arduino controller to use it with the IR remote function of a camera if the K5 has that. You can make a neat little controller which has interval capability but it takes a fair amount of electronic knowledge and some Arduino programming skills.

Last edited by Bob 256; 05-12-2020 at 07:26 AM.
05-12-2020, 03:04 PM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ravara Quote
would love to have a well exposed moon as well as the clouds passing by
The face of the full moon has fairly uniform brightness. Shoot in manual mode and expose for that (~14 EV100*). As noted above, the easiest way to combine bracket and interval timing is with a wired intervalometer...works like a charm, but be sure to test your configuration before trying it at night.

Steve

* That translates to 1/125s @ f/11 with ISO 100. The rule is called "lunny 11" due to it working the same as "sunny 16".
05-13-2020, 02:48 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Perhaps the K5 can do the same ?
hey pschlute
nop the K5 cant do that unfortunately

05-18-2020, 09:18 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cport Quote

I would buy a programmable cable remote like:
yeah that sound like a great solution cport
05-18-2020, 11:19 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
I think the OP was talking about the K5.

In any case, the easiest way (assuming the camera can't do both simultaneously like the K-1) is to use a remote which incorporates interval timing and then set the K5 to HDR or bracket mode so each shot will capture a bracketed set of shots.

ravara, any chance you're good with electronics? There's a way to do this with an Arduino controller to use it with the IR remote function of a camera if the K5 has that. You can make a neat little controller which has interval capability but it takes a fair amount of electronic knowledge and some Arduino programming skills.
well Bob, i do love to make/build my own solutions and i might just investigate how to do this.
sounds like a cool project to encase with a 3D printed design of my own, i'm not very good with electronics but i do know product design
if i do decide to go for it i'll check on you for pointers and post the whole process here @pentaxforums
thanks for the idea

Last edited by ravara; 05-18-2020 at 11:32 AM.