Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
01-18-2021, 06:19 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have turned my K5 IIs into a paperweight.

Ouch, it still hurts.

I left my much favoured K5 IIs unattended on a tripod for a moment. I was on the end of a pier at Point Lonsdale, Victoria. It was quite windy but the rig felt quite stable. With my attention diverted to other matters for a moment, a sickening crash put a shudder up my spine. Whether a sudden gust of wind tipped it over or one of the many seagulls present, tried to land on it, I don't know. The only visible damage was a cracked and dislodged top screen. While power was on for a minute or two and the rear screen was lit, there was no response to any controls and soon the rear screen died altogether.

I am now licking my wounds and pondering whether of not to invest $55 to have it checked out by CR Kennedy, our Aussie dealer, or attempt to open it myself to see if there is anything obvious such as dislodged connector or just leave it as is as a paperweight on my desk as a reminder.

Thankfully I still have my trusty K7, which at over 60,000 shutter actuations must be nearing it end.

In the meantime I am considering options such as a used K5 IIs, K3 II, or a new K 3 III when available, or go whole hog and get the K1. I might add the "Minister for Finance" is not really supportive of any of these options.

01-18-2021, 06:24 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
Ouch, it still hurts.

I left my much favoured K5 IIs unattended on a tripod for a moment. I was on the end of a pier at Point Lonsdale, Victoria. It was quite windy but the rig felt quite stable. With my attention diverted to other matters for a moment, a sickening crash put a shudder up my spine. Whether a sudden gust of wind tipped it over or one of the many seagulls present, tried to land on it, I don't know. The only visible damage was a cracked and dislodged top screen. While power was on for a minute or two and the rear screen was lit, there was no response to any controls and soon the rear screen died altogether.

I am now licking my wounds and pondering whether of not to invest $55 to have it checked out by CR Kennedy, our Aussie dealer, or attempt to open it myself to see if there is anything obvious such as dislodged connector or just leave it as is as a paperweight on my desk as a reminder.

Thankfully I still have my trusty K7, which at over 60,000 shutter actuations must be nearing it end.

In the meantime I am considering options such as a used K5 IIs, K3 II, or a new K 3 III when available, or go whole hog and get the K1. I might add the "Minister for Finance" is not really supportive of any of these options.
Bummer, but conveniently just in time for the K-3 MkIII, pretty good timing!
01-18-2021, 06:28 PM - 3 Likes   #3

That really hurts! I have some Canadian Tire Money, can you use that to help your situation?
01-18-2021, 06:31 PM   #4
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry to hear of your woes. It would seem prudent to me to spend the $55 to get it checked out properly, unless you really want it to be a paperweight so you can get something truly new. Alternately you could see what parts are salvageable for resell to help offset some costs. If the aperture block control is the right type, there are still many a K30/K50/KS2 around in need of repair.

01-18-2021, 06:32 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Perhaps you saw this post?
KP on special 36% off @ Adorama - PentaxForums.com
01-18-2021, 06:48 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Ouch!!!!! That's really not good news Bruce. May be for $55 it may be an idea to get it checked.

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 01-18-2021 at 07:08 PM.
01-18-2021, 06:56 PM   #7

OUCH!😵

Man, that hurts ME just to think about the sound of that hitting terra firma. So sorry.

I recently took the dive and bought a K1 II. WOW. Astro-photos (with the built in gps), insane resolution, and the ability to use nice, cheap and great ff lenses, as well as some great apsc glass was too much to pass on. WELL worth the investment, and if rogue seagulls don't spoil your day again, you will have it long after Pentax replaces it with something newer and shinier, and still be ridiculously happy with it.

01-18-2021, 07:15 PM   #8
Forum Member

Ouch, it still hurts.

I have a K-5IIs and bought a KP about a year and a half ago. Nothing was wrong with the old one. The KP was so much better in almost every way that now I only use the K-5IIs to mount my secondary lens if I think I need a Long/Short lens combo. The only thing I liked better about the K-5IIs is the battery (but I have the KP battery grip), the LCD screen (but I have become accustomed to the rear screen) and the overall ergonomics of the grip. Sounds like now is a good time/excuse to spend some cash if the budget allows!
01-18-2021, 08:54 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob King Quote
That really hurts! I have some Canadian Tire Money, can you use that to help your situation?
What's the exchange rate of CT Money to Aussie dollars? I'm pretty sure Bruce is in the province of Victoria in Oz, not the one in Canada . Nice of you to offer though.

Sorry to hear of your mishap Bruce. That’s a bummer with a capital B. I have the K5ii and love it...no wonder you're so despondent. Hope you find a fix or an even better replacement. Tell the Right Honourable Minister that there's no price on mental health . Besides, a new KP costs far less than a month of therapy
01-18-2021, 11:51 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

When a "Like" is just not appropriate.

01-19-2021, 01:27 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I'm really sorry for you. I think it's worth to spend $55 to check for damage. K5-IIs are precious cameras. It would be any other K5 it would be probably less worthwhile.

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Sorry to hear of your woes. It would seem prudent to me to spend the $55 to get it checked out properly, unless you really want it to be a paperweight so you can get something truly new. Alternately you could see what parts are salvageable for resell to help offset some costs. If the aperture block control is the right type, there are still many a K30/K50/KS2 around in need of repair.
No way. The aperture block is completely different (and not prone to failure) on the K7, K5, K3, K1 and KP from the one used in K-30, K-50, K-S1, K-S2 and K-70.
01-19-2021, 02:03 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ouch, it still hurts.

Oh god.... goosebumps.... what a pity.. be sure to send a complaint letter to the Minister..
01-19-2021, 03:46 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ouch, it still hurts.

That's a sad tale. I do wonder if a trip to CR Kennedy will be worthwhile, considering the age of the K5 IIs would mean the chances of spares being available would be slim.
Have you checked your household insurance policy? I found mine was well worth the claim when my K-1II got damaged.
01-19-2021, 07:48 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

First, I’m so sorry to hear this happened.

Next, the budget sounds like it isn’t ready to absorb a new body. That sucks. If you do look at bodies I’d typically recommend the k-3 or newer to ensure Kaf4 electronic aperture compatibility. However in your case cost may not permit it. The k5iis price used should be considered before spending $55 - and whatever else it will cost to get repaired.

If money is tight that k-7 would help get you through until you can replace your camera. Don’t worry about the shutter count for now unless you have a paying gig that relies on it.
01-19-2021, 08:28 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Why would you assume that 60k is "nearing its end"? Even with a K-nn model I would not assume 60k was near the end, if not for the aperture block, but with the K-7 or K-5?