Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
02-20-2021, 12:10 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K5ii top screen cracked

Help!

Wondering if anyone has had success replacing the glass/plastic on the top screen on a K5ii? The screen beneath is fine, but the glass is pretty cracked and I'd like it to be more weatherproof.

Thanks.

Last edited by Bleeblee; 03-22-2021 at 06:57 AM.
02-20-2021, 12:18 PM - 1 Like   #2

You're lucky, uscamera.com has it in stock. Once the stock is gone they won't be able to get parts any longer from Ricoh.

Pentax 77240-A0302 LCD Window | K-5 | K-5 II | K-5 IIs | K-7 | USCameraUSCamera
Pentax 77240-A0303 Window Tape K-5 | K-5 II | K-5 IIs | K-7 | USCameraUSCamera

Failing that you could try a windshield crack repair kit from an auto supply store. The idea is to inject some clear resin that cures with ultraviolet light (sunlight) into the crack. Can work reasonably well in my experience.
02-20-2021, 12:34 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
You're lucky, uscamera.com has it in stock. Once the stock is gone they won't be able to get parts any longer from Ricoh.

Pentax 77240-A0302 LCD Window | K-5 | K-5 II | K-5 IIs | K-7 | USCameraUSCamera
Pentax 77240-A0303 Window Tape K-5 | K-5 II | K-5 IIs | K-7 | USCameraUSCamera

Failing that you could try a windshield crack repair kit from an auto supply store. The idea is to inject some clear resin that cures with ultraviolet light (sunlight) into the crack. Can work reasonably well in my experience.
Thank you so much for your quick response. I ordered 1 screen and 2 adhesives, assuming I'd screw one up. It's a gift for a friend who is getting into photography beyond an iphone, so I didn't want it looking sad. Thanks again!
02-21-2021, 02:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bleeblee Quote
Thank you so much for your quick response. I ordered 1 screen and 2 adhesives, assuming I'd screw one up. It's a gift for a friend who is getting into photography beyond an iphone, so I didn't want it looking sad. Thanks again!
If your friend refuses the gift please let me know ...

02-21-2021, 03:03 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
If your friend refuses the gift please let me know ...
Will do!
02-24-2021, 09:45 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To remove the cracked screen gently warm it up with a hairdryer or similar.

I do it the same with the back LCD glass-protection and I use a larger aluminium-foil for protecting the other parts "just in case"
of which I cut-out the size of the protecting glass. Others don't do this protection but I have a tendency to do things with some extra care.

Have a scalpell or similar ready to gently lift it up on one side.

By the way, the top-glass is as you noticed just protection and those from the K5/7 and even older K200 and *ist models fit!
04-20-2021, 12:35 PM - 1 Like   #7
5ks
Pentaxian

I had a same kind of sreen crack with my K-5. Being afraid that repair would cost relatively much compared to another camera (used), I decided to go the DIY way. I still had all pieces of the screen, so I simply used some glue to stich the pieces back together. No, it's not pretty and probably no more weather proof, but it's been working for four years now like that. Would be probably hard to sell such a camera to anybody, so I keep it as a backup DLSR - and still use it quite often, actually.