Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2010, 12:18 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-r and new 35mm prime..... could be better?

For the love of Pentax, i do have some not as possitive comments about the new K-r and the 35mm prime after a quick scan of the official spec:

What is the real difference between K-x and K-r ?
I am just looking at cnet's side by side comparison sheet just by the K-x and K-r column.....honestly if i don't know Pentax, i would think they are the same camera. With a lot of similarities (even with the dimension and weight !), i do not find a point to put in more money for the k-r than i could get a k-x for almost the same spec. Also, looks like Pentax is shooting themselves on their foot by making a 6fps k-r camera on top of their winning 4.7 fps k-x...... I would expect they put their efforts on upgrading the video to 1080 to make it look better on paper......... One thing i feel happy about is i am reli certain that i m not gonna upgrade my k-x to a k-r, perhaps thats what Pentax is trying to do.
Here's some credit i gotta give to the new model
It's very good that they finally got the AF point shown on the viewfinder and the new battery option idea was brilliant. Hopefully, the bigger and better LCD hopefully is going to do what they suppose to do on the k-r, and hope the AF system is much improved on the K-r than the K-x.
The k-r just don't get much of my love, maybe just the look....but it just made me love my k-x more and more!

35mm prime......... F2.4 ? DA L?
I haven't tried any 35mm or similar prime from Pentax yet, but i did try the 35/1.8 on Nikon from my friend which is pretty impressive. I have no shame to tell my friend who has the Nikon that (and for $190), if i know this lense before i bought the Pentax i would buy a Nikon....Okay, here i m, Pentax addressed part of my need.....but what's up with the f2.4 ? its one whole stop behind the 1.8 that i wanted!! I feel that why not spent more on the Limited 35mm 2.8 macro den? which i could also do some macro on that lens and its not plastic all the way. Maybe i m just too fast to make a comment like that, but i m still waiting to see someone to test it out and conclude that is a good lens. I know i do sounds like i dun have a lot of love for this lens, but i thinki would end up with one :P Thanks Pentax for thinking about my bank, the $220 for a Pentax prime glass is still a deal.... The 31mm limited is too far for a reach

09-09-2010, 12:49 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We're going through similar discussion in the other K-r and DA 35/2.4 threads.
It has come down to a tailor-made entry-level package for the newbie or Canon/Nikon entry-level user who wants a change from the norm...
09-09-2010, 02:44 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Remember the Nikon lens is not VR while the Pentax is SR. I would have liked to see better aperture as well, but what we all asked for was a cheap lens, and now we got one. I am expecting it to be excellent optically. It looks terribly cheap though, I do wonder if making it look a bit more professional really would have cost more...but I guess a big driver wad the possibility easily make it in different colours.
09-09-2010, 03:34 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
a big criticism is the price of the K-r

maybe it's because it includes a Li-ion battery?

09-09-2010, 05:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Re: K-r and new 35mm prime..... could be better?

Sure, it could be better.

It could also be worse.

The new products will appeal to some and not appeal to others.

Either way, the earth will continue to rotate on its axis and revolve around the sun.
09-09-2010, 06:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Just wait. Someone will make a Club thread for this lens and then everybody will jump on the bandwagon.
09-09-2010, 06:46 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by RolloR Quote
a big criticism is the price of the K-r

maybe it's because it includes a Li-ion battery?
Yes, its expensive compared to the K-x and the difference it offers. I'm waiting for the price to go down a little, and I have no question about buying this camera.

09-10-2010, 03:12 AM   #8

This is far from a replacement for the K-x because of the price and the difference does not justify the price. Side by side with the D3100 (700$ with kit, and when in retail the price will go down), the K-r isn't a bargain (unless you have already Pentax lenses).
09-12-2010, 02:18 PM   #9

Original Poster
Just found a reason to buy the DA L 35mm today !

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/114210-da-l-35...tom-color.html
09-13-2010, 08:26 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sblast Quote
Yes, its expensive compared to the K-x and the difference it offers. I'm waiting for the price to go down a little, and I have no question about buying this camera.
Very similar situation here...
09-18-2010, 04:40 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Amazon is showing the K-r with the 18-55MM, not a 35MM? About $849, so far. I had a few reservations about the body at first but I think it's okay, now that I've gotten a good look. I like that "Pentax" red. It seems darker to me than the red they used for the K-x. Am I imagining that?

Amazon.com: Pentax K-r 12.4 MP Digital SLR Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD and 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens (Red): Electronics
09-18-2010, 04:52 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Does the kr allow for HDR shooting when hand held? The Amazon run down seems to indicate that there is an "auto align" feature that allows for hand held shooting of HDR. I hadn't heard that before and it certainly would make the feature a lot more useful.