Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2010, 01:41 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
Directive 1999/44/EC Check the article 5.
Btw it's a seller warranty, not a manufacturer warranty.
Check the local regulations of each EU country and you will see that obligatory warranty is just 1 year.

Last edited by simico; 10-04-2010 at 02:02 AM.
10-04-2010, 09:08 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Just purchased add'l warranty for my K-X - now I have both bodies covered.

I just noted that the warranty also includes the one-time free checkup and calibration. Worth the money just in itself.

Do you think that the one-year mark is about the right time to use that free check? That amounts to about 10K activations on the K-7 and perhaps 4K on the K-X.
10-04-2010, 11:01 AM   #18

Within 90 days and can be purchased on separate invice

QuoteOriginally posted by frooggy Quote
And as a previous poster said, Pentax only honors within a certain time frame. I have heard of a guy not getting the extended warranty coverage because the warranty wasn't on the same receipt as the camera.

Just got off the call with Adorama, this need not be on same receipt as camera, save all receipts - camera and warranty and Pentax would honor it.

Also they expect to get the cards in next 2 weeks.
10-04-2010, 04:05 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery
Major concern & warning-lens not included

Further below is a copy & paste of the reply I received from Pentax "Customer Service" regarding my inquiry regarding the back-order of my extended warranty that I purchased through Adorama early last week. Apparently Adorama ran out of the warranty cards and they promptly notified me that there will be a delay. I was concerned because one of the preceding posts mentions that the warranty purchase has to be made within 90 days of the camera purchase. I am now a few days over the 90 so I wanted to find out if I should cancel the order.
My purchase was for a white Kx that included the white 18-55 lens (correct me if I'm wrong but you can't buy a Kx body only). Also I purchased a 55-300 DA (not DAL). All items were purchased at the same time and is on the same receipt billed to my AMEX in one transaction.

Pentax is telling me that the warranty only applies to the Kx body ONLY and NOT ANY OF THE LENSES!!!!!

Previous posts to this thread are reporting that the lenses purchased with the camera
would be covered under the warranty BUT THEY ARE NOT....
Let me be grateful that Pentax didn't manufacture my car. If they did they'd be telling me that the warranty only covers the car but not the powertrain.
I thought I liked Pentax, my Kx, my growing collection of lenses, and my K7.
Now am beginning to wonder about that..............

I'm also wondering if the PENTAX extended warranty I received with my K7 kit (18-55 WR & 55-200 WR) purchased back in February from Abe's of Maine covers the lenses?

Fortunately everything is working fine and for $30 it's still worth to have the warranty on the Kx body, but it's the principle that bothers me.

Here's what PENTAX told me....

Thank you for contacting Pentax.

Pentax extended warranties apply to the camera body only, not the lenses. The lenses have the standard one-year Pentax warranty. If you receive the Pentax Extended Warranty card from your dealer you should have no trouble with warranty coverage on your K-x as applicable according to the Pentax warranty terms. You should keep your sales receipt as well and if your camera requires warranty coverage you will be asked to provide a copy of your sales receipt along with a copy of the extended warranty card for years two and three that you own the camera.

If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or call our technical support center at 800-877-0155.

Sincerely,
Randall S.
Pentax Imaging Technical Support

10-05-2010, 05:04 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
Wrong. It depends on the local country regulations. In many countries it's 1 year. The manufacturer and/or distributor can offer more, of course.

It would be great if Pentax offered more than 1 year warranty. Its competitors offer 2-3 year warranties on bodies and lenses here.
ok, so then in my country I do get 2 years, for my K-x as well
10-05-2010, 06:04 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It would certainly help everyone if they knew about the extended warranty. It does not appear that everyone who is selling the camera is also offering the opportunity to purchase the extended warranty.

I guess we can chalk this up to Pentax's lack of marketing and advertising,

10-05-2010, 07:56 AM   #22
Veteran Member

How about international warranty (if bought in Japan)?

10-05-2010, 03:53 PM   #23

Well, I called PENTAX customer service today and inquired if the lens is covered on the extended warranty.
NO IT IS NOT.
The lens is only covered by the 1 year warranty and the extra 2 year extension applies only to the body. The representative said PENTAX never offered more than a year on ANY of their lenses.
I am not impressed with that at all.
Especially when you consider the competitors lenses, such as TAMRON that come with a standard 6 year warranty. You don't even have to pay anything extra to get that much coverage.
But what really annoys me is that the Kx can only be bought with the 18-55 lens- it's not offered as a body only. Selective warranty-ing, a new PENTAX phenomena!
In these days of digital photography, I'd expect to replace my cameras every 3 to 5 years. I'm not sure what I'd buy down the road but I'd doubt it would definitely be a PENTAX- now it's only a possibility. However, the good thing is PENTAX has definitely tempered my LBA somewhat.
10-05-2010, 05:07 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by seachunk2 Quote
Well, I called PENTAX customer service today and inquired if the lens is covered on the extended warranty.
NO IT IS NOT.
The lens is only covered by the 1 year warranty and the extra 2 year extension applies only to the body. The representative said PENTAX never offered more than a year on ANY of their lenses.
I am not impressed with that at all.
Especially when you consider the competitors lenses, such as TAMRON that come with a standard 6 year warranty. You don't even have to pay anything extra to get that much coverage.
But what really annoys me is that the Kx can only be bought with the 18-55 lens- it's not offered as a body only. Selective warranty-ing, a new PENTAX phenomena!
In these days of digital photography, I'd expect to replace my cameras every 3 to 5 years. I'm not sure what I'd buy down the road but I'd doubt it would definitely be a PENTAX- now it's only a possibility. However, the good thing is PENTAX has definitely tempered my LBA somewhat.
I've bought gear from around the world, US included, standard warranty on lenses is 1 year so I think your comment of "Selective warranty-ing, a new PENTAX phenomena!" is really incorrect. If you're unhappy that third party lens companies offer a longer warranty, then by all means please go buy that Tamron. No point bitching about it.
10-05-2010, 11:18 PM   #25

Not really "bitching" Creampuff, I think you miss my point. I bought a complete camera (Body + Lens). That's the only way to buy the Kx. If Pentax offers an extended warranty on the Kx it should be for the complete unit as it has to be purchased, not just one half of it. That's what I mean by "selective warranty-ing".
Anyway, I just wanted to clarify that the lens is not covered by any Pentax extended warranty, Kx or other. That is news to me (to the extent that it applies to the extended warranty for my Kx and K7) and probably other Pentax owners, but may be not you, so please ignore all my comments.
10-06-2010, 08:12 AM   #26

i am wondering if its internation warrenty or not, coz i was gonna ask a friend from jp to get me one this month
12-25-2010, 02:23 AM   #27

Sorry for bumping an older thread, but the K-7 warranty's only $10 now.
01-05-2011, 10:09 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by seachunk2 Quote
... I think you miss my point. I bought a complete camera (Body + Lens). That's the only way to buy the Kx. ...
Sorry, I know this is really old, but you are incorrect. The K-x is sold in a body only configuration.