Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2010, 08:35 PM   #1
Forum Member

Why the Kr ?

Hi
i just went out and bought the Kx this summer, which I love, spent weeks learning the camera and taking some great shots - and now I see Pentax has updated it w/ a new model, the Kr...
There was nothing wrong w/ the Kx. The autofocus point snot being visible is not a big problem, altho i've seen lots of criticism posted here about that.
So why the new model ? Just 'marketing' ? or - 'planned obsolescence' - the way the US car manufacturers used to operate ?
Opinions please !
HabsFanUSA

09-29-2010, 08:53 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Two months after I bought my k10d, the k20d came out. I now have both and don't regret it. This is a very old story and happens again and again. No one says that you have to keep up with the latest greatest either. In fact you might wait until next year when the ? k-s is released. the fact that there is now something better out there is a bit of a pain but if you are happy with your K-x don't worry about it.
09-29-2010, 09:13 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The K-x was great, and the K-r will be greater. That's life, but it doesn't change the fact that the K-x is still great

The K-r further improves the sensitivity, framerate, and AF speed of the K-x. It also supports rechargeables or AA's- your choice, due to the handy insert. Another nice thing is that it finally has the same high-res LCD screen as the K-7, K-5, and 645D.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-29-2010, 09:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-r 's target market is not current K-x user like you and myself because it's an evolution rather than revolution, the difference that matters for me are AF assist light and focus indicator in the VF but I have Metz 48 flash which has AF assist light and centre focus point + recompose works every time.

K-r is appealing to new users who just got into DSLR and current *istD/K100D/K200D/K-m users IMO, who would see the spec of K-r a major upgrade

09-29-2010, 09:38 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I am a K-x user here, I am just curious of the new camera's shutter sound, is it click or "clack" just like the k-x? Thank you
09-30-2010, 02:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

K-r is nice and well worth the introduction price
- But the K-x is currently very cheap!!!
09-30-2010, 05:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-r has some significant pluses for not too much extra money: better sensor (raw), AF points, AF speed. Still, I think the difference is not so great as to justify my switching from K-x to K-r. On the other hand, K-r looks like a nice promise for the next entry level body--and that one I'll likely get.

09-30-2010, 05:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Two months after I bought my k10d, the k20d came out. I now have both and don't regret it. This is a very old story and happens again and again. No one says that you have to keep up with the latest greatest either. In fact you might wait until next year when the ? k-s is released. the fact that there is now something better out there is a bit of a pain but if you are happy with your K-x don't worry about it.
Same thing happened to me, two months after getting the K10 the K20 came out. I stuck with the K10 and am still using it to this day and I don't regret it. I am glad I waited because as soon as the K5 comes out, I'm buying it and will still use my K10 as a backup. I couldn't agree more with the above statement "If you are happy with your Kx then don't worry about it"
09-30-2010, 11:11 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I think it is a marketing/business strategy. With the success of the Kx and with sales of the Kx slowing down (read that somewhere but not sure where) Pentax is probably thinking they can get a new batch of "green" DLSR users who were thinking about a Kx or maybe not thinking about it but want to get into the DLSR game to buy a newer, better camera than the Kx.
09-30-2010, 11:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Maybe you need a Canon 5D MarkII?

Its ironic that today, along with this thread, we have a thread from a new owner of a Canon 5D mark II. He's having difficulty telling the difference between that FF camera and the couple's other camera an Kx also I've no doubt in time, that they will be able pixel peep enough to see a difference.

I think we've reached a point with DSLR technology where its difficult for anybody but enthusiasts and pros to tell the difference between aps and FF prints, much less between prints of different classes/mfr of aps cameras.

EXCEPT with the tangible difference of low light shooting at 3200 iso and above. so i think we all, including me, need to get a little perspective and realize that the photographic skill behind the camera is a lot more important these days than the camera.
09-30-2010, 07:49 PM   #11

Does anyone know how noisy the K-R is compared to the K-X, in terms of shutter clack?
09-30-2010, 10:17 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Ford Fiesta vs. BMW

A Ford Fiesta will get you to the neighbourhood supermarket just as well (almost) as a BMW 7-series. The Beemer will be more comfortable, accelerate faster, and have many nice touches, but its about the same as the Ford as a means of transport.
Is it worth the huge price difference ? That's a very personal value-driven answer , including the size of your bank account.
09-30-2010, 10:38 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There have been 10 (I think) new bodies since I bought my *ist DS, and probably a dozen new Fords of various models and sizes since I bought mine, and a new generation of LCD TVs since I bought my Sony Bravia. But each thing I have bought still works as it should and still satisfies my needs - when they don't I will upgrade, until then I hope all the users of the latest stuff enjoy what they have just as much as I enjoy mine.
All manufacturers upgrade their products regularly or they go out of business.
10-01-2010, 02:12 AM   #14
Forum Member

just because a successor to the K-x is released, it does not mean it's a prompt for K-x owers to upgrade. Sure, it's an option, but I think most entry level users would be aiming for at least 2 years of use before upgrading, ie skipping a generation.
10-01-2010, 03:33 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I also would like to know if the K-r is just as loud as the K-x or has a softer shutter sound. Hopefully as soon as the K-r will be released to the public, there will be some comparisons.