Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2010, 09:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K-7 or K-r to Augment/Replace K200D?

Does anyone have first-hand, personal experience with both the K200D and the K-7?

I'm wondering how much better the K-7 is at higher ISOs than the K200D. Yes, I know the reputation the K-7 has for noise at higher ISOs, but it is still a newer-generation camera and sensor and my K200D is limited to ISO 1600. My hope is that the K-7 is still better at ISO 3200 than the K200D is at ISO 1600.

Also, how much better is the K-7's auto-focus in the real world compared with the K200D?

I ask because I'm trying to decide if opting for a K-7 to augment and eventually replace my K200D is a good idea now, given the lower price for a K-7 body. An alternate choice would be a K-r. Down the road, in perhaps 12-18 months, I could see replacing the K200D entirely with a K-5 once the price of that camera falls substantially.

So, I could have a two-camera kit of the K-7 (or K-r) plus the K200D for now and eventually a two-camera kit featuring the K-5 and the K-7 (or K-r).

I suppose if enough people haven't worked with the K200D and the K-7, the K10D could be a surrogate for the K200D - given that much of the internals and image processing is the same.

10-02-2010, 10:42 AM   #2
Inactive Account

I have the k200d and the K-x. Low iso is unbeatable with the k200d so it's going to be a difficult decision what to buy next. I'll wait until the first test reports to arrive..so far it seems to be that I'llskip the K-7-hold on to the k200 and buy the K-5..100% viewfinder good AF with selectable points(just like on the k200d)..my plan is to keep the k200d it's sensor is unbeatable at low iso-and buy the k-5..a huge step from the the K-x..

Andras
10-02-2010, 11:25 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I have the experience you are asking, here is the subjective ideas of my own, I gave K200D to my wife and using K-7 since last January, I had used K200D 1.5 years and I fell in love with K200D CCD sensor's colors on the spot, I wish I could take my K200D back. To me, the only hardware superiority of K-7 is it has flash PC connection. K200D IQ is lot better but only on computer, but K-7 can give you larger prints at the same resolution than K200's. High ISO is unusable for me beyond 400 ISO with K-7, only I can use 800 ISO on macros. On computer K200D photos look lot sharper. 1/80-100 photos are shaky on K-7 also which are the most used shutter times especially on ISO 100, I get around this problem with popping the flash out, more light gives better S/N ration and reduces the time to 1/180 to avoid shutter shake. Now I am waiting for K-5 outputs to upgrade ASAP. Without abundant light K-7 pictures always seems muddy to me comparing K200D (on computer) . With only a lot of light, I can take good pictures as K200D. Before the K-7 I was never used flash that much before

If someone asks me today "I am gonna give you a gift you pick, a K200D or a K-7, but you can't ever sell my gift", I would definitely choose K200D. Because K200D is the king of the monitors and colors. The only reason should be for y getting a K-7 is allowing large prints.

Why don'!t you wait for K-5 results anyway?

Hope it helps, best luck with your choice.

PS I was using a PC sync cord with K200D for external flash, I picked from ebay for $20.
10-02-2010, 07:50 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
I have the experience you are asking, here is the subjective ideas of my own, I gave K200D to my wife and using K-7 since last January, I had used K200D 1.5 years and I fell in love with K200D CCD sensor's colors on the spot, I wish I could take my K200D back. To me, the only hardware superiority of K-7 is it has flash PC connection. K200D IQ is lot better but only on computer, but K-7 can give you larger prints at the same resolution than K200's. High ISO is unusable for me beyond 400 ISO with K-7, only I can use 800 ISO on macros. On computer K200D photos look lot sharper. 1/80-100 photos are shaky on K-7 also which are the most used shutter times especially on ISO 100, I get around this problem with popping the flash out, more light gives better S/N ration and reduces the time to 1/180 to avoid shutter shake. Now I am waiting for K-5 outputs to upgrade ASAP. Without abundant light K-7 pictures always seems muddy to me comparing K200D (on computer) . With only a lot of light, I can take good pictures as K200D. Before the K-7 I was never used flash that much before

If someone asks me today "I am gonna give you a gift you pick, a K200D or a K-7, but you can't ever sell my gift", I would definitely choose K200D. Because K200D is the king of the monitors and colors. The only reason should be for y getting a K-7 is allowing large prints.

Why don'!t you wait for K-5 results anyway?

Hope it helps, best luck with your choice.

PS I was using a PC sync cord with K200D for external flash, I picked from ebay for $20.

I am very happy to read this because I just sold my K-X and ended up getting a nice deal on a k200d. I love the ergonomics so far, but havent had much opportunity to shoot with it. one test shot of my car outside displayed impressive color but low light performance stinks and I really wanted more resolution for cropping.

im anxious to see how the K5 performs, or i might sell my k200d and get a k20d. After using the K200d for about 50 shots ill never buy another small camera again. I love the full sized grip and larger optical view finder -- otherwise i was very happy with my K-X

10-02-2010, 08:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Okay... that's two votes for keeping the K200D and skipping the K-7. I appreciate the feedback, guys. I just hope the price of a K-5 body falls reasonably quickly. It feels strange talking like this considering the K-5 isn't even in the stores yet.
10-04-2010, 09:46 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
Okay... that's two votes for keeping the K200D and skipping the K-7.
Make that three votes. I have the K200D and, other than the mediocre AF, find it a superb camera (the best landscape DSLR at its price point ever). While the K-7 has better AF and a wealth of nice (but not critical) features, it does not have as good DxOMark sensor score. It scores worse on dynamic range (10.6 vs. 11.4 for K200D) and worse for ISO (536 vs. 561).
10-04-2010, 10:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Interesting thread. Another K200D owner here, and I can never decide what I want to do about an "upgrade". I have loved my K200D ever since I bought it (got it like-new from ebay 2years ago for about $300), and up to this day, it pretty much only gives me 2 things I'd love to upgrade. The AF mechanism, and high ISO shooting. Obviously, the K-X would improve both of those items quite a bit, but I'd lose the weather sealing, top LCD, etc. I wouldn't turn down the K-7, but it just doesn't seem to offer enough to me to justify the cost to upgrade.

All in all, I've come very close on several occasions to picking up a K-X body only, but have not been able to pull the trigger. That day may come soon if the K-x gets reduced to make way for the K-r. But even if I pick up a K-x or K-r, I don't think I'd get rid of my K200D.

10-04-2010, 03:48 PM   #8
MGV

I have the same dilemma about an upgrade from my K200D. I like the top LCD and WR, but want better AF and high ISO performance. Sitll waiting for true K200D replacement.
10-04-2010, 04:13 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Im curious to hear the difference with the lcd if how accurate it was on the k7..
There are situations when you review the pictures on the K200D the images appear to be dark but when you viewed it on the computer it was ok, i sometimes end up overexposing images coz i thought it was dark
10-04-2010, 07:12 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, it seems virtually all of we K200D owners are in the same boat: What to do about an upgrade? We all seem to want higher ISO capability and better AF performance. You can even toss in a faster burst mode/bigger buffer. The K-x is attractive and the K-r is even better... but we have to give up weather resistance and the top LCD. And the K-7 hasn't appeared to be worth the money and trouble to upgrade. The K-5 may be the only camera that gives us everything but it ain't cheap. Unless we add the K-r as a second body, it looks like we're waiting for a price drop on the K-5.
10-04-2010, 11:56 PM   #11
Forum Member

i have both. I don't shoot much high iso image so i can't tell. I don't see kr an upgrade which has no WR and top lcd screen although it's focus faster and probably better high iso if it performs like kx.

If i were you i would wait and see how k5 turn out.
10-05-2010, 12:03 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I have a k200d and love it, i will be adding the k5 to my kit later this year and will still be keeping the k200d. I still wanna see how the the k5's iso100 compares to the k200d!
10-05-2010, 12:42 AM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
Im curious to hear the difference with the lcd if how accurate it was on the k7..
There are situations when you review the pictures on the K200D the images appear to be dark but when you viewed it on the computer it was ok, i sometimes end up overexposing images coz i thought it was dark
I have +1 presbyopia due to age, and I didn't see lot much difference with K-7, but don't get my words as K-7 is not better, definitely is but when I don't forget to get my glasses, functionally both are the same.
10-05-2010, 07:17 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Thanks Cbaytan!
is the K-7 3in LCD screen reliable on reviewing the exposure of the pics?
10-05-2010, 07:28 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a K10D and upgraded to K7, but I kept the K10D and use it as back up and as a MF body.

My own policy is to never trade in the old camera when I upgrade, and this gives me back up and also the ability for different uses. (I still have my *istD and still use it too)

the K7 performs very well at higher ISOs compared to the K10D.

I have even done some shots at ISO 6400 and while perhaps grainy are useable. I honestly don't see what all the bitching is about, shots at 1600-3200 ISO on the K10D are so far superior to film at ISO 400 that anyone who shot film is pleased, it is just that there are digital only shooters out there who think shots equal to ISO100 should be possible all the way to ISO 25000. the expectation far exceeds the reality IMO.

The difference for the OP is really interface and one dial or two. My bodies all have 2 dials and are set up somewhat the same, if this is of use, then either go K-x or perhaps change both bodies eventually. it is a personal choice.