Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2010, 09:47 PM   #136
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
After looking at these samples, I would say that my Auto ISO setting on K-r would be 100-1600. ISO3200 already too noisy for me.
An uncompromised ISO1600 is already very impressive imo.
Definitely FF territory type of performance.

10-13-2010, 09:51 PM   #137
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Just a little bit post process would make an ISO 3200 photo taken before midnight look like it's taken in normal day light at much lower iso:
Looks great!
One really has to look to identify the high ISO signs in these samples at these sizes!

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
how much did your camera brand pay you to show your insecurities with your own camera?

if you still don't know, this is a great forum where people appreciate the much needed info or samples for newly released cameras, whether Pentax or not. if you want to exercise sarcasm and downright stupidity and fanboyism at it's finest, you won't find it here.
LOL
Surely he was joking

But hey... lets look at it from the bright side...
This serves to show that the K-r is in fact unbelievable.. and a obviously a threat to the competition
Go Pentax!
10-13-2010, 10:02 PM   #138
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote

LOL
Surely he was joking

But hey... lets look at it from the bright side...
This serves to show that the K-r is in fact unbelievable.. and a obviously a threat to the competition
Go Pentax!

I hope he was JB. anyway, I'm pretty much excited with the K-5 now especially with the k-r results. and I would think that the K-5 would be better unless it is a repeat of the Kx-K7 downgrade path. although I'm still a bit mad about the uncertainty of Sigma not releasing the 150mm macro for the K-mount. somehow I had to settle with the shorter S1 90mm for macro and FA135 for telephoto. not that I'm complaining but I'm planning to cut down my lens to a few.
10-13-2010, 10:03 PM   #139

Creampuff/Frank: How is the AF in lower light levels compared to the K-x?

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Prism shape is different compared to the K-x.
There is also the new AF assist light located above my thumb.

10-13-2010, 10:06 PM   #140
Pentaxian

I hope he was JB. anyway, I'm pretty much excited with the K-5 now especially with the k-r results. and I would think that the K-5 would be better unless it is a repeat of the Kx-K7 downgrade path. although I'm still a bit mad about the uncertainty of Sigma not releasing the 150mm macro for the K-mount. somehow I had to settle with the shorter S1 90mm for macro and FA135 for telephoto. not that I'm complaining but I'm planning to cut down my lens to a few.
I have new K-5 RAW images that would suggest the K-5 is going to spin a few heads to say the least. Not to mention, outperform the D7000 in many ways(despite "apparently" being cut from the same die ).

I think its going to be great
10-13-2010, 10:19 PM   #141
Veteran Member

I have new K-5 RAW images that would suggest the K-5 is going to spin a few heads to say the least. Not to mention, outperform the D7000 in many ways(despite "apparently" being cut from the same die ).

I think its going to be great
the K-5 should. otherwise people would be hard-pressed to justify the additional premium they had to pay over the D7000. and it would be a steal of a price if it performs just as good as D700 or with better DR than the D700. in comparison with the 7D, I think it's a stale between High ISO IQ/DR versus AF performance. depends on what the photographers' priority is.
10-13-2010, 10:24 PM   #142
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My friend tried K-r in the shop and said that the selection of AF points in VF by joystick is not fast and not immediately as in all Pentax cameras with AF points lightning.
The changing of AF points slow down a bit.

Can you confirm it?

To say honest, I'm a bit disappointed if it's truth.
Need new firmware to fix it.

He said that he can't see any difference in AF between K-x and K-r.
K-r is just a bit more tenacious, but it's hard to say when testing in the shop.

As for AF lightning beam - is it always automatiс?

Last edited by ogl; 10-13-2010 at 10:34 PM.
10-13-2010, 10:33 PM   #143
Pentaxian

the K-5 should. otherwise people would be hard-pressed to justify the additional premium they had to pay over the D7000. and it would be a steal of a price if it performs just as good as D700 or with better DR than the D700. in comparison with the 7D, I think it's a stale between High ISO IQ/DR versus AF performance. depends on what the photographers' priority is.
The main differences seem to be:
Grain
Color (even in RAW)
And high ISO noise patterns.

Unfortunately... I don't have the tools to measure DR
However, if noise play's a part in this, then the K-5 will show it's might in those numbers too.

The thing of it is... when we compare high ISO samples from both systems, the differences seem much more dramatic than what I am describing here.
But were only days away from seeing this too and there's going to be plenty of ammunition for the battle that lie ahead.

If I had to guess, I'd say Nikon compromised on IQ at some level in order to acheive certain goals. Either that... or they have a specific way of processing sensor data that just doesn't measure up to Pentax's own methods.

Having said that... the best part out of all this is where people like Rice High will end-up turning over in their graves knowing the K-5 may end-up in a cut above the rest where it matters most.

10-13-2010, 10:42 PM   #144
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
creampuff, baby, setup a little still life and tripod and get us some side by side test images k-5 vs k-r stat :P

Pretty sure everyone is hanging out for that... and if you have other cameras laying around you could test those too :P (60d, 7d, and d7000, d700 too why not if you have them :P )

Also the K-r body shape isnt as nice as the K-x

Last edited by WerTicus; 10-13-2010 at 10:53 PM.
10-13-2010, 11:19 PM   #145
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just got confirmation that both the K-r, K-5 and the DA 35mm f/2.4 are already in Singapore and being prepared for distribution. They will be tested no later than this Saturday.
The price over here is gonna be fantastic...
10-13-2010, 11:30 PM   #146
Pentaxian

Just got confirmation that both the K-r, K-5 and the DA 35mm f/2.4 are already in Singapore and being prepared for distribution. They will be tested no later than this Saturday.
WOW!
Thanks for letting us know!
Very exciting!

I hope I'm not out of bounds in asking this. but would you be willing to upload some HIGH ISO RAW DNG's to an FTP so as to share them with the community for pixel peeping?

If so, I would be more than happy to setup an account for you to upload the files?
If not... I'd understand too, I hope I'm not putting you on the spot by asking this.
10-13-2010, 11:35 PM   #147
Veteran Member

Original Poster
WOW!
Thanks for letting us know!
Very exciting!

I hope I'm not out of bounds in asking this. but would you be willing to upload some HIGH ISO RAW DNG's to an FTP so as to share them with the community for pixel peeping?

If so, I would be more than happy to setup an account for you to upload the files?
If not... I'd understand too, I hope I'm not putting you on the spot by asking this.
Allow us some time to get the cameras ready to shoot in good light. That would be a better test. We'll post the RAW files later.
10-13-2010, 11:40 PM   #148
Pentaxian

Allow us some time to get the cameras ready to shoot in good light. That would be a better test. We'll post the RAW files later.
Sounds great!
Don't forgot to test in low light too!
When it comes to high sensitivity performance, I think this may actually be more valuable than ideal lighting in the end.

Either way, I'll be looking forward to those RAW samples!
Nothing says pixel peeping like tasting the grain of RAW files
10-13-2010, 11:59 PM   #149
Veteran Member

could you also check if the Sigma 85 in K-mount is already available there? can't wait to have one this month and I'm itching to get my hands on it.
10-14-2010, 01:25 AM   #150
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
...the selection of AF points in VF by joystick is not fast...
That has to be the most minor issue I have ever heard of. At the very bottom of the list of things to care about in assessing a new camera.

The speed issue your friend had was also probably a bit like sending a text message for the first time on a brand new mobile phone. At first everything seems unfamiliar, but after practice you can do everything faster.