Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
10-14-2010, 06:10 PM   #211
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
even it's selling at $200usd I
was that the kx or kr lol. not everybody is made of money

have you got a confirmed price for the k5? here in Aus one place had listed it for $1400US body only then changed it to $1600 this week.

3x the cash for better body / 1 stop iso / better AF / 1080p might be hard to justify for some.

10-14-2010, 06:46 PM   #212
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
Exposure stacking is not the same as HDR.
Believe me or not, but I know the terms.
Right now, I am just figuring out what Pentax did. My verdict will be appropriate. :ugh:
10-14-2010, 08:01 PM   #213
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by silverknight Quote
really? wow @$499 why would you buy the k-x even at $450 - kx would need to be $400 or less for me to be interested now.
What is K-r better than K-x?
- I am aware of the specs: LCD, Focus assist beam, FPS
- But so far haven't seen other performance difference been confirmed at all
10-14-2010, 08:06 PM   #214
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JoepLX3 Quote
Joe,

There are tons of info on this forum about the K-r and I would suggest you peek at some of the threads/links shown on the HomePage of this very forum.

As for confirmation of the actual performances, you'll have to do with user's reports for the time being (most of which are excellent, by the way) until thourough tests are conducted by Pentax Forums.

Cheers.

JP

10-14-2010, 08:50 PM   #215

Fantastic performance by the K-r.

Since there's pictures from the K-r out in the wild now, I'm gonna come out of the bunker and say that I've had 12800 ISO shots from the K-r for 30 days now.

However, the performance of the preproduction K-r looks very similar to the performance of this production K-r, which is fantastic.

I was only allowed to play with it for a bit, but the high-ISO performance made me feel like my GX20 was very outdated.

Proof, one asks?

The last one was taken at 12800 ISO with the K-r and 100mm D-FA WR Macro. That wasn't the only shot, but I'll let creampuff's images speak for themselves. Also forgot to mention that the K-r photo is a completely unprocessed RAW converted to jpeg.

Pentax's web store says they have the K-r in stock.
http://www.pentaxwebstore.com/product_list.asp?HDR=search&SEARCH=PTXKRNEW
If anyone didn't see it.

Last edited by tackyat.2; 10-14-2010 at 08:57 PM.
10-14-2010, 09:26 PM   #216
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tackyat.2 Quote
Fantastic performance by the K-r.

Since there's pictures from the K-r out in the wild now, I'm gonna come out of the bunker and say that I've had 12800 ISO shots from the K-r for 30 days now.

However, the performance of the preproduction K-r looks very similar to the performance of this production K-r, which is fantastic.

I was only allowed to play with it for a bit, but the high-ISO performance made me feel like my GX20 was very outdated.

Proof, one asks?

The last one was taken at 12800 ISO with the K-r and 100mm D-FA WR Macro. That wasn't the only shot, but I'll let creampuff's images speak for themselves. Also forgot to mention that the K-r photo is a completely unprocessed RAW converted to jpeg.

Pentax's web store says they have the K-r in stock.
PentaxWebstore - Search
If anyone didn't see it.

the uprocessed RAW is pretty good or let's say impressive for an APS-C camera. I'm not sure though if the 12,800 samples is better than the Canon 7D at the sample MP resolution. anyone have an idea on this one?
10-14-2010, 09:31 PM   #217
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Some of the improvements...
AF is a little better, LV is fast. The shutter is a tad quieter. new AF.S and AF.C settings, AF Fine tuning, AF point visible in the viewfinder.

10-14-2010, 09:48 PM   #218
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Some of the improvements...
AF is a little better, LV is fast. The shutter is a tad quieter. new AF.S and AF.C settings, AF Fine tuning, AF point visible in the viewfinder.
I am curious to see AF improvments quantified
- I don't care too much about LV, shutter sound not AF point visible in viewfinder
- High ISO of K-r is not better than K-x?
10-14-2010, 10:01 PM   #219
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I'm not sure though if the 12,800 samples is better than the Canon 7D at the sample MP resolution. anyone have an idea on this one?
Well, since according to DXOMark.com the 7D's high ISO performance is only marginally better than the K-x's (5% difference), I am almost certain the K-r will trounce the 7D in high ISO, judging from what I have seen so far of the K-r.

Pic related:
10-14-2010, 10:09 PM   #220
Veteran Member

- High ISO of K-r is not better than K-x?
from the samples between the kx and kr at ISO 12,800, it looks like the k-r is obviously better. I hated the 12,800 results of the k-x.
10-14-2010, 10:13 PM   #221
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Well, since according to DXOMark.com the 7D's high ISO performance is only marginally better than the K-x's (5% difference), I am almost certain the K-r will trounce the 7D in high ISO, judging from what I have seen so far of the K-r.

Pic related:
thanks rawr. this is somehow reassuring. if it does indeed beats the 7D, I would assume that it might affects a certain percentage of the 7D market. the K-5 on the otherhand, will join the fray.
10-14-2010, 10:14 PM   #222
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
if you resize a 7d shot it looks pretty much identical to the k-x quality wise...

the k-x is a little sharper surprisingly and the 7d's noise in shadows is a little better.
10-14-2010, 10:21 PM   #223
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
if you resize a 7d shot it looks pretty much identical to the k-x quality wise...

the k-x is a little sharper surprisingly and the 7d's noise in shadows is a little better.
hmmmm..... this is probably due to Canon's NR priority which is pretty decent on the 7D. k-r noise are pretty controlled IMO. although a side by side image comparison between the kx and kr would be nice. also throwing in the 7D along would be great.

anyway, I'm more impressed with the initial K-5 results. much better than the kr. somehow the K-5 being the new Pentax flagship dslr is pretty much living up to the people's expectations.
10-14-2010, 10:29 PM   #224
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I hated the 12,800 results of the k-x.
Have you tried shooting RAW and processing the results in LR3? LR3 improved many of my original 12800 K-x shots considerably, without any effort other than opening them in LR3 using default settings.

That's the interesting thing with all this high-ISO stuff. It seems a constantly evolving ballet between the various RAW processing engines and the capabilities of the camera. The hardware the manufacturers deliver to you is only part of the story.
10-14-2010, 10:44 PM   #225
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Have you tried shooting RAW and processing the results in LR3? LR3 improved many of my original 12800 K-x shots considerably, without any effort other than opening them in LR3 using default settings.

That's the interesting thing with all this high-ISO stuff. It seems a constantly evolving ballet between the various RAW processing engines and the capabilities of the camera. The hardware the manufacturers deliver to you is only part of the story.
as someone mentioned, I find the shadow noise to be problematic as well. although it can be cleaned nicely during PP, I noticed I'm losing quite some nice details. much so if it's underexposed. you are right about hardware is just half of the story and software plays a great part on achieving, salvaging or retaining great IQ. although a lilttle push or boost from hardware would be great as well. thus, cut down on workflow and increase in productivity. who doesn't want that?

I mentioned before that the noise can be handled with software as much as it can. I even mentioned it is possible to improve noise handling even thru firmware update if only Pentax put some thought into it but rather left it as is (K-7 for example).