Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2010, 03:13 PM - 2 Likes   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
This is just outstanding high ISO performance, it knocks every other Pentax DSLR off the map.

I'm amazed at the performance, what a sensor !

wll
I've used pretty much all Pentax dSLR up to now (well, the only one I never really seriously used was the K110D), this one is by far the only one I dare to use at ISO3200 w/o any hesitation:

Just a little bit post process would make an ISO 3200 photo taken before midnight look like it's taken in normal day light at much lower iso:

10-13-2010, 03:13 PM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Thanks We really had quite some fun w/ the new camera last night, and the beers too

You should see my report on K5 by Friday night or the weekend the latest. Yes, it's gonna reach here by then

What's my experience w/ Pentax service? Our local Pentax service is one of the best among all countries I think.
Yeah! the beer was mighty tempting, but I said never again this past wknd. so it was all ok ....But, I'm sure you guy's needed quite a few drinks to carry that pink camera in public

K-5 report would be awesome.

I got the Pentax service thing all secrewed about, sorry about that.
10-13-2010, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #93
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I assume you mean no additional noise reduction done, over and above the default NR setting? The K-x was factory set for Medium NR, starting at 800 ISO. If found that to be excessive. Any idea on the K-r's NR defaults?
Yes, the images were straight from the camera. The K-r has the NR default set at Auto. (see post #16)
10-13-2010, 04:10 PM   #94
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Creampuff ... Congrats on your presentation(s)! A job very well done ...

This is a very surprising and pleasant aspect of what the "little" K-r does at high ISO, something I long for in replacement of my K7. Not saying that the K7 isn't an able machine, to the contrary.

I noticed that you said ... "... wait for the K5 ..."; do you expect better ISO handling with the K5? I'd be very surprised if it can actually better the K-r in that department. We shall soon see when you've some pics taken with the K5.
Will you be able to make comparisons, side by side pics?

You also mentioned that the K-r AF was able to lock fast on a subject ... have you tried a couple of shots with moving subjects: people, cars ... ?

All those questions for one big reason: will I "upgrade" from a K7 to a K5 or to a K-r?!!
If the tests show that the K-r will perform as well as the K5 in "all departments", what's the use to get the K5 now?
Wouldn't that be a Pentax suicide to have the "little brother" perform as well as "Big Brother" ?

I realize that you cannot answer all of those questions with simple tests but at least I now have a darn good idea of what this camera (K-r) can do!!

Cheers!

JP
In terms of camera handling, ease of operation and usability, the K-7 is a very well thought out camera. Unfortunately the sensor used didn't really endear itself well when pushed into high-ISO territory. Blotchy noise and heavy handed noise reduction during post processing is needed, which many people would find a challenge.

The K-5 will keep the K-7's very good handling but will show improvements in a lot of areas, most notably image quality and AF. This is the first Pentax DSLR that will have a 14-bit RAW image, and I'm expecting the image quality to be a very big step ahead of the K-7. We've got a Pentax user outing this Saturday and we'll put the K-r and the K-5 through it's paces.

Well as to K-r vs K-5, my take is those who want to shoot and change settings on the fly will immediately opt for the K-5. I like to shoot quickly, so less fiddling of controls when I compose in the viewfinder is always good. So the K-5 has that edge in camera operation.

Frank and I also used my DA 17-70mm f/4 SDM last night and it definitely wasn't the proverbial "slow as molasses" SDM experience. AF locked quickly with no hint of hunting. It's all good.

10-13-2010, 04:17 PM - 1 Like   #95
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Thanks for all this work creampuff. You've shown without doubt that this camera is a considerable advancement in high ISO results. ISO 3200 is acceptable at 100%! I couldn't get those results at ISO 1600 on my K20D.

Your synopsis on the K-r performance is very helpful. Thanks again mate.
Look forward to hearing about the K-5.
Thanks Ash, well got to thank Frank as he is the one doing the heavy lifting behind the scenes working with our excellent local agent. We got our usual monthly Pentax outing this weekend so we're trying to also get as many of our local Pentax users to experience the new cameras in person and hopefully think about mothballing their old and discontinued cameras.
10-13-2010, 04:23 PM   #96
Veteran Member

Looking like I should have my K-5 by the end of next week, so hopefully I can throw in my comments as well.
10-13-2010, 04:34 PM   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Looking like I should have my K-5 by the end of next week, so hopefully I can throw in my comments as well.
Really? Who did you order yours from? Did they already let you know it was coming?

I have a wedding to shoot on Oct. 23 and I was doubting that it was going to arrive in time.

10-13-2010, 04:36 PM   #98
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yeah, well, I don't like the font. That's why I am dumping all my Pentax gear and moving to Nikon.

But seriously, I hope each one of those shots represents a different bottle of beer!

On a lighter note, those are awesome shots. I can't wait for the K5 to hit the shelves here (provided, of course, that Pentax puts a sexier font on that camera).
10-13-2010, 04:53 PM   #99

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
where did you preorder the camera?I thought it should be in stock on 15th, which is this Friday.
10-13-2010, 04:55 PM - 1 Like   #100
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here is the 100% crop of the ISO 25600 image that I posted earlier.
Before and after maximum NR applied in ACR (100% luminance & color noise). Extreme case scenario.

Click to enlarge.
10-13-2010, 04:59 PM   #101
Veteran Member

Thanks for the time to post all the pics.
I was thinking about buying a K-7...now have to consider a K-x or even a K5 as an upgrade from my trusty K10.
Pentax has hit the mak with the K-x, and I can't wait to see the images from the K-5.
10-13-2010, 05:08 PM   #102

Awesome job guys, I'm really looking forward to the K-5 pics now, I have an offer of one for my birthday, which I was thinking of rejecting (just because I'd rather buy it myself), but I may have to take up the offer to get it sooner rather than later!
10-13-2010, 05:15 PM   #103
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First off, thanks for the work you have done here. Looks great.
Creampuff, Frank, how is the noise on the K-r shutter? Is it quiet like the K-7 or rowdy like the K-x?
10-13-2010, 05:15 PM   #104
Veteran Member

Thanks for these images. The K-r high-ISO results look great and probably even exceed the output quality of the K-x.

The march of progress in sensor image quality and digital signal processing continues. Yay!
10-13-2010, 05:23 PM   #105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by happygui Quote
where did you preorder the camera?I thought it should be in stock on 15th, which is this Friday.
Pentax USA. Where did you get that date from? Everything I've heard directly from Pentax, previously, was late Oct/early Nov.