10-14-2010, 10:47 AM   #196
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
shall I tell him??
We are decent company here, aren't we?

10-14-2010, 10:47 AM   #197
raz

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Thank you. It's either as fast as ALL Pentax cameras from *ist D till K-7, or not the same
K-r is slower, and it will be annoying for me... I'm shocked a bit...

It means it's truth. It's a pity.

Can you inform the Technical Support of Pentax in your country about this problem?
The problem is only in your mind if the man said they move almost instant.

I think you are inventing ridiculous "problems" like the speed of the selected points in viewfinder ? Come on, this is the most irrelevant aspect of any DSLR. How often do you move those points , and how much does it interfere with your photography if the points move "almost instant" and not instant ?
10-14-2010, 10:57 AM   #198

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
OK I just got word that my K-5 and everyone else who pre-ordered their K-5 or K-r in Singapore will be ready for collection tomorrow. Over the weekend there will be demo copies of the K-r and K-5 available for use for local Pentax users at our monthly Pentax user photo outing in Little India. Thank god for our stellar local agent because some who pre-ordered have already let go of their older Pentax DSLRs and are now camera-less. I for one have put behind my entire K-7 episode behind me... it's time to look forward to the K-5... Will post images from the K-5 later.
Great, Later as in today or by Monday?
10-14-2010, 11:24 AM   #199
Inactive Account

I have one question about the new K-r

The cd include with your pakage is always Pentax Utilities v4.21 ?
Or Greater/higher version ?
In this case Number Of this version.
And it's very cool, if you shared this new, beceause 4.21 are many bugged again...
Many thank's Jpette

10-14-2010, 12:03 PM   #200
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The photos intended to show noise performance are confusing without a known reference. Any chance of a shootout, K-r vs K-x?
10-14-2010, 02:39 PM   #201
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
We are decent company here, aren't we?
You may be but at my work we serve another brand of beer:
10-14-2010, 02:56 PM   #202
raz

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
You would not want to know how my Dutch co-workers are calling it
Same here, my Dutch business partners in Amsterdam said to me when I went there : Heineken...pffffff, that **** is only good for tourists

And they took me a to a small restaurant where they gave me the best beer that I drank, ever Don't remember the brand though, it was something local I think.

10-14-2010, 03:22 PM   #203
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by raz Quote

I think you are inventing ridiculous "problems" like the speed of the selected points in viewfinder ? Come on, this is the most irrelevant aspect of any DSLR. How often do you move those points , and how much does it interfere with your photography if the points move "almost instant" and not instant ?
Well to be fair, if changing the view points was really slow it would be incredibly annoying. It's already pretty annoying when you have to change them in the first place.

In this case, however, I doubt that they're that slow at all.
10-14-2010, 03:51 PM   #204
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
You may be but at my work we serve another brand of beer:
Who said anything about beer ? I thought we were discussing Heineken ???
10-14-2010, 05:15 PM   #205
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Here in Singapore it's already selling for less than $500usd w/ kit lens
really? wow @$499 why would you buy the k-x even at $450 - kx would need to be $400 or less for me to be interested now.
10-14-2010, 05:23 PM   #206

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by raz Quote

I don't so much get annoyed by a delay, but I do get annoyed that I can't click ahead.

If I want to move, say, 4 points over, it would be great be able to press the button 4 times and resume shooting. Sadly, the system (on all Pentax DSLRs as far as I'm aware) wants to go one (relatively fast) step at a time. Not so annoying with AF, but it's appreciably slower if you're in the menus, changing white balance - click, wait for the cursor to move one place; click again, wait again. . .

It stops you from being able to memorise settings as button patterns, and requires you to chimp for settings confirmation. I don't mind if the system holds commands in a buffer and works through them - I can't lift the camera, compose and shoot in an instant.
10-14-2010, 05:43 PM   #207
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpette Quote
I have one question about the new K-r

The cd include with your pakage is always Pentax Utilities v4.21 ?
Or Greater/higher version ?
In this case Number Of this version.
And it's very cool, if you shared this new, beceause 4.21 are many bugged again...
Many thank's Jpette
It's v4.30. It crashes everytime I add photos in the queue for batching processing I can only do batching processing w/o any problem, but can't put photos in queue. I'm using Win7 Ultimate 64bit...
10-14-2010, 05:46 PM   #208
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by silverknight Quote
really? wow @$499 why would you buy the k-x even at $450 - kx would need to be $400 or less for me to be interested now.
I won't consider it even it's selling at $200usd I'm not saying it's a bad camera or not worth that amount of money. As a matter of fact, it's a bargain at $500usd. I'm just not interested in such a camera when I can get a K5 (but at much higher price though).
10-14-2010, 06:05 PM   #209
Pentaxian

Fantastic review!
Dennis, Frank, Thanks a million.
My Canikon colleagues ended muttering something about D800 and D5 next year and walking away after seeing the Kr sample shots

Dennis, fantastic NR work with ACR on the ISO25600 beer (before/after) shot. The NR shot seems to pull back the details (some of the lettering). very very nice
10-14-2010, 06:05 PM   #210
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
If true it would be a disappointment (for that single feature, not the camera, I mean).

In dim lighting, there is no headroom for longer exposure shots. So, one takes a large number of shots of the same exposure in rapid succession (like 8) and stacks them after aligning them. One gains 3 stops this way, it's like a 3 stop boost to SR. Capturing 3 images only adds 1.6 stops or less, depending on what exactly they did.

As Pentax already features stacking (called multiexposure with exposure compensation) and alignment (in the HDR drive modes), not featuring true autoaligned stacking from 4 to 12 images while marketing a night HDR mode would be a disappointment. This is why I asked.
Exposure stacking is not the same as HDR.
Stacking takes multiple shots at the same exposure. Yes, you do get better dynamic range in the end result, but its not the same thing.

Just to keep it in perspective.
This is a "Scene Mode" for an entry-level camera - a package of pre-set variables mainly to help less experienced users.

The normal HDR setting gives you plenty of exposure control without biasing the settings to dim lighting.

Pentax - correctly I would say - probably judged that some users would want to try HDR in dim light, and they provided a scene mode optimised for that.