Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2010, 11:53 PM   #16

It's quite interesting how the many owners of the Kx are so convinced that the new Kr is 'not worth the upgrade', when such an opinion is sought. I don't own either of the two (currently, running on the very dated K100D, which is due for a major upgrade), and personally, I don't think I will go for the Kx, knowing fully well of the missing AF-points on the VF, the lower quality/resolution LCD screen, the slower AF (what is so hard to believe that the SAFOX 9 should be better and faster?) and most likely losing out in terms of IQ (the Kx is good, but I don't think that Pentax has not made any improvement over it in the Kr).

10-20-2010, 05:32 PM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by obheng Quote
It's quite interesting how the many owners of the Kx are so convinced that the new Kr is 'not worth the upgrade', when such an opinion is sought. I don't own either of the two (currently, running on the very dated K100D, which is due for a major upgrade), and personally, I don't think I will go for the Kx, knowing fully well of the missing AF-points on the VF, the lower quality/resolution LCD screen, the slower AF (what is so hard to believe that the SAFOX 9 should be better and faster?) and most likely losing out in terms of IQ (the Kx is good, but I don't think that Pentax has not made any improvement over it in the Kr).
I think the issue for K-x owners is that they recently purchased the k-x and spent some good money and as a result the hefty price of the K-r upgrade may not seem worth the benefits.

For me who is buying a new system, I also looked at the K-x and can even get very very good prices on them now, but the changes made to the K-r make it a much much better camera for me at this point (I hope)
10-21-2010, 12:57 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I like the "I hope"...
10-21-2010, 05:02 AM   #19

I am looking at purchasing a DSLR too.

May I know is the US Holiday Sale Season nearing?

10-21-2010, 05:25 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by InStitches49 Quote
I am a beginning DSLR user (after years ago using Minolta 35 mm camera). I have been fluctuating between the K-x which seems to get good reviews or the newer K-r which is, of course, a lot more money. Which one would be best for a beginning again photographer? And do I need to get a kit with two lens in it or just get the standard beginner's lens to start with? Also, this may be used later by our college-age daughter who desires to learn photography with her journalism courses. Thanks for any advice you can give me!
What kit did you have with your Minolta? 35-70mm? Or 50mm? Or ...?

Try to remember what you wished for in those days. Not long enough (had to get closer), not wide enough (had to do a step back)? Not fast enough (low light situations required flash)?

If you had e.g. a 35-70 zoom, that will (roughly) translate on a Pentax dSLR camera to 24-50mm for the same field-of-view. If the 35-70 did do everything you ever wanted, the kit lens will do as well. It's wider and slightly longer so you get more compared to the 35-70 (although the 18-55 is probably a bit slower than the 35-70 at the long end).

I think you can take it from there yourself. Having said that, the 2-lens kit is usually a bargain. However the lenses are usually DA-L versions and come without lenshoods; and if I recall correctly, the original Pentax ones are quite expensive (somebody else can probably advise on that).
10-21-2010, 04:21 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Re: Minolta 35mm film camera I once had

Was asked what lens I had with it and all I recall is the basic 35mm lens that would have been sold with it back in the 1970s. (Yes, it was that long ago and sadly I can't claim to have been a mere child then either but was just out of college.) Now my mother had a Yashica 35mm film camera and I do recall she had two extra lens for her camera--one of them seemed to be very long and could zoom in really close. We went together to London, England in the late 1970s and took both our cameras; she took slides while I took regular photos. I have now inherited all of those slides and am trying to turn them into photos and save them digitally somehow. At this point I feel like the basic lens that comes with the Pentax K-r or K-x will suffice for a while. Thanks for all your help here!