Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2010, 02:20 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K-r first impressions

Firstly, let me say I've mostly used a K-x for the last year (almost), and the K-r for 1 day.

- High ISO is a smidgen better on the K-r. In low light setting ISO 12800 is still barely usable IMO

- In lowish tungsten light, AF is crap on the K-r, you'd do better to turn the lights off, and let the green AF lamp do its thing (which it does very well)

- Was shooting macros with DA 35 Limited, and I'm sure I saw shutter induced blur at 1/80 and 1/100. Did the K-r get the left-over K-7 shutters????

- In camera image handling is nowhere as fast or smooth in the K-r as compared to the K-x. Zooming in and out of an image in preview needs more optimisation (IMO)

IMO the focus issue is a biggy, especially if you are shooting in low light with a wide aperture (narrow DOF), the others are minor.

I'd like to see Falk test one for shutter-blur!

Hopefully, firmware updates might fix some of these issues.

When you do things right, IQ is pretty good.

(K-r ISO200 Tamron SP 90 F8 1/250 Hand held!)

Attached Images

10-18-2010, 02:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

That bad ?
Most of the initial impressions I've read on the K-R have been very positive...
The method of zooming in/out in preview is partly defined by a couple of settings. Its the same with the K-X. You may want to check the Custom settings for this.
10-18-2010, 03:42 AM   #3
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jackassp Quote
... and I'm sure I saw shutter induced blur at 1/80 and 1/100. Did the K-r get the left-over K-7 shutters????
How could you? Please, please, stop this false shutter blur affaire. You can't claim to see it if you have not made tests in a very controlled environment. This thing has gone way, way over Falk's intentions.
10-19-2010, 06:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If the blur is always vertical with approximately same amplitude then it's shutter induced blur. If it has random directions and amplitude (like my K20D in macro) than it's something else. With my K20D I always disable SR when shooting macro.