Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2010, 06:07 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
KR - Looks like a great DSLR

I am looking to buy a new DSLR and really want the new KR. Outside of video (T2i is hard to beat in this area), I really think it has better specs than the competition in this price range, namely the D3100 and T2i. The Sony A55/A33 is also there but the KR seems to be more of a photographic tool and less of a gadget than the Sony.

My main concern based on using Pentax in the past is the indoor auto white balance. From what I understand though, the newer cameras are greatly improved in this area.

Also, I really think the KR is worth it over the KX, even though there are no killer new features. Just waiting on the price to come down a little...I have read the threads here and the KR looks awesome based on what I have seen.

10-19-2010, 06:46 PM   #2
Inactive Account

You won't be disappointed....except for waiting!
10-19-2010, 07:36 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
The waiting is definitely tough! I just know the prices will drop with the Holidays approaching.

Should I get the 55-200 kit lens or the 55-300? From my research, the 55-300 seems to be the preferred choice. I also want the new 35mm prime.

QuoteOriginally posted by DonP Quote
You won't be disappointed....except for waiting!
10-19-2010, 07:46 PM   #4

I considered waiting for a price drop...then I decided on a K-x for $639 with 18-55 and 55-300 instead.

10-19-2010, 08:00 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
The K-x is a great deal but I really want the extras of the KR like the increased LCD resolution and size, visible AF points, AF assist lamp, increased FPS, larger buffer, extended ISO range, faster contrast detect autofocous in live view, Li-Ion battery (with AA option), etc.

QuoteOriginally posted by blueblazer22x Quote
I considered waiting for a price drop...then I decided on a K-x for $639 with 18-55 and 55-300 instead.
10-19-2010, 10:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigCTM Quote
Should I get the 55-200 kit lens or the 55-300? From my research, the 55-300 seems to be the preferred choice. I also want the new 35mm prime.
That would be a very fine kit Although personally, I bought the 50-200, but hardly ever use it. But if you will put a longer lens to good use (sports, wildlife), then by all means go for it!
10-19-2010, 11:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

They fixed indoor WB with the K-x (maybe even K-7) Actually I've never had a single K-x shot in a year of owning it where the auto WB wasnt spot on.

10-20-2010, 03:44 AM   #8
Forum Member

The white balance of my K-X is so much easier to set up (especially with the feature of applying a different white balance to your last shot) properly compared to my Canon 7D. I'm sure the K-R will have the same or maybe even better white balance configuration of the K-X.

I am looking to buy a new DSLR and really want the new KR. Outside of video (T2i is hard to beat in this area), I really think it has better specs than the competition in this price range, namely the D3100 and T2i. The Sony A55/A33 is also there but the KR seems to be more of a photographic tool and less of a gadget than the Sony.

My main concern based on using Pentax in the past is the indoor auto white balance. From what I understand though, the newer cameras are greatly improved in this area.

Also, I really think the KR is worth it over the KX, even though there are no killer new features. Just waiting on the price to come down a little...I have read the threads here and the KR looks awesome based on what I have seen.
10-20-2010, 05:45 AM   #9
Inactive Account

The waiting is definitely tough! I just know the prices will drop with the Holidays approaching.

I'd opt for the 55-300 as it's a better lens at the long end. And it has an advantage in that it's at f4 almost to 200mm, whereas the 50-200 is f5.6, or a full stop slower. The 50-200 isn't a bad lens and it's quite compact. But it gets soft all over at the long end the 55-300 beats it easily. The 55-300 has better color and contrast, too, IMHO.
10-22-2010, 07:00 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
The wait is over! I ordered a KR with the kit lens and 55-300 this morning. I cannot wait to try it out.

I will post with impressions and pics after evaluating it for a few days.
10-22-2010, 04:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Take a look at some shots taken by a friend of mine after he just got his Pentax K-r. He was the winner of the Singapore Young Photographer of the Year award.

ClubSNAP Photography Forums - View Single Post - Hands-on with K-r :)
10-27-2010, 06:07 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
I received the KR today with the 18-55 and 55-300 lenses. I thought I would post some initial impressions since this is my first Pentax. I have tried the KX but never owned one.

I have always been hesitant to buy Pentax based on indoor white balance issues. I can say that the KR is spot on so far with white balance - no issues at all.

I shoot indoors a lot and wanted a camera with very good high ISO performance and the capability to focus in low light situations where flash is not allowed. Trust me guys - this thing can just about focus on anything and does not need much light at all. One of my rooms has very little light (almost complete darkness) and it focuses almost instantly.

The menu is not cutting edge like Nikon is trying with Guide Mode but it is functional and that's all that matters to me. There are lots more options than what you will find with entry level DSLRs like the D3100 or A33. The bracketing options alone are great. One incredibly cool option is the capability of saving the last JPEG picture taken as a RAW file. So you take a special picture and realize that you wish it had been RAW - now you can save it as a RAW file. This only applies to the last picture taken I believe.

The build seems solid and the grip is perfect for me. Sony and other companies can never get the grip right it seems.

My edial works perfect - no issues there like others reported...

The shutter is not quiet but I knew that going in.

I see why some people freak out when they first move the camera around and hear the SR mechanism inside.

I like how Pentax does not take away all the options in auto pic mode like other manufacturers do. You can still control quite a bit. But I will quickly venture into the other modes for more control.

My first impressions are positive as I thought they would be. Hope to post some pics in the next few days...
10-27-2010, 06:09 PM   #13

Mine just arrived today as well and the battery just charged... so time to tinker with this a bit!
10-28-2010, 05:11 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I received the KR today with the 18-55 and 55-300 lenses. I thought I would post some initial impressions since this is my first Pentax. I have tried the KX but never owned one.

I have always been hesitant to buy Pentax based on indoor white balance issues. I can say that the KR is spot on so far with white balance - no issues at all.

I shoot indoors a lot and wanted a camera with very good high ISO performance and the capability to focus in low light situations where flash is not allowed. Trust me guys - this thing can just about focus on anything and does not need much light at all. One of my rooms has very little light (almost complete darkness) and it focuses almost instantly.

The menu is not cutting edge like Nikon is trying with Guide Mode but it is functional and that's all that matters to me. There are lots more options than what you will find with entry level DSLRs like the D3100 or A33. The bracketing options alone are great. One incredibly cool option is the capability of saving the last JPEG picture taken as a RAW file. So you take a special picture and realize that you wish it had been RAW - now you can save it as a RAW file. This only applies to the last picture taken I believe.

The build seems solid and the grip is perfect for me. Sony and other companies can never get the grip right it seems.

My edial works perfect - no issues there like others reported...

The shutter is not quiet but I knew that going in.

I see why some people freak out when they first move the camera around and hear the SR mechanism inside.

I like how Pentax does not take away all the options in auto pic mode like other manufacturers do. You can still control quite a bit. But I will quickly venture into the other modes for more control.

My first impressions are positive as I thought they would be. Hope to post some pics in the next few days...
QuoteOriginally posted by Martowski Quote
Mine just arrived today as well and the battery just charged... so time to tinker with this a bit!

guys go out and shoot with your tools, and show us what they can do in real life..

I'm also considering to buy it, I already sold my kx and waiting for more sample shots and user reviews, and alreade went to hand hold it in the local shop.. so far i'm 99% for it..

show us some good sample shots..

sheers
10-28-2010, 08:01 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I am thinking of giving up my k-x to my girlfriend and opting for the k-r but also looking at a used k-7 as they are both in the same price range

what do you think? I am also a noob btw.