Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-26-2010, 06:36 PM   #16
YJD
Veteran Member

I saw that post, thank you.
So it means it's not a problem to the K-R put a problem to this specific K-R he had?

That makes me happy, because it would take me a very long time to save up for a K-5 even if its price his worth it. But for what I do, compare to what I have now and the amount of saving I have, the K-R would really be great!

Sorry to hijack this this thread, but does K-R can identify Hot/Dead pixel and 'remove' or 'cancel' them out? I remember seeing this on the K20D.

Thank!

10-26-2010, 08:37 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by YJD Quote
but does K-R can identify Hot/Dead pixel and 'remove' or 'cancel' them out?
Yes, it does.
The K-r manual spells it all out:
http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-r.pdf
10-27-2010, 07:18 AM   #18
YJD
Veteran Member

Thanks!
10-31-2010, 11:23 AM   #19

Okay, so I just tested my K-r. Here's what I did. I put the Moire interference pattern on my laptop's screen and tested both my 18-55mm lens and my 55-300 mm lens. For both, I set each lens on 55mm and mounted my camera on a tripod about 5 feet away so i could get a good close-in of the Moire pattern (and changed focus point mode to center only). I set live-view on, put the camera on manual focus, and adjusted until I got the maximum effect and coloring. I then put the camera on viewfinder mode, put it back on autofocus, and depressed the shutter button 1/2 way. Result? No movement of the focus ring. I tested to make sure I was doing this right by purposely putting the Moire pic slightly out of focus, repeating the process above, and I did get slight movement of the focus ring at that point. Once I did get some movement on the 55-300 lens, but it was very slight and in both the manual focus w/ liveview and the autofocus modes, both showed plenty of Moire effect (I think I just had it ever so slightly off focus when I was in manual mode, but didn't notice as there was still plenty of effect showing). I did this in my kitchen in front of a very large picture window with a light fixutre above that had CFL bulbs, but also with light from incandescent canister lights coming through (so I basically have a mixture of light sources). If I did this right, it appears my K-r is "spot on" with autofocus, correct?

11-04-2010, 07:12 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
I did quite a bit more testing ... and found that the front focusing was better (i.e. less bad) under daylight conditions. But still not perfect.
I have the same findings on my 2° Kr.
I send my first K-r back: front-focus with 4 lens ( FA50, Da 40 & 70, DA 50-135 who work well on my K20 & K7) was still there with micro ajust AF set at -10. Tests were done under mixed light: daylight + artificial, no flash.
12-21-2010, 06:33 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I believe my wife's new K-r has this problem. Stay tuned.
12-21-2010, 06:48 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Here's another thread on this issue:
Does anyone know about the k-r front focusing problesms? - Steve's Digicams Forums

12-21-2010, 07:59 PM   #23

I saw in some other thread reported they got new correct focus K-r, so I brought mine (no.382xxxx) to my local vendor this morning. They tested mine and a whole new one (no.39xxxxx) but still front-focus under artificial light
They sent my k-r with FA77 back to Japan. hope Pentax could fix it..
12-21-2010, 11:23 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cloud016 Quote
I saw in some other thread reported they got new correct focus K-r, so I brought mine (no.382xxxx) to my local vendor this morning. They tested mine and a whole new one (no.39xxxxx) but still front-focus under artificial light
They sent my k-r with FA77 back to Japan. hope Pentax could fix it..
Hope it arrives back soon and working right for you.
Interesting topic this, bit worrying too.

I've not had occasion to notice if my K-r is affected and haven't got around to testing it for this possible issue yet because frankly I don't know where to start -- but if I have the issue I'd really like to know and get it fixed asap.
(yeah there's rumours of a pending firmware coming.... but gossip and speculation never did cure anything.)

The "if" is the main problem for me, possessing near zero knowledge or experience to make a fair assessment, probably not helped by the fact that I don't tend to delve into the general areas of pic-taking where it easily exposes itself too.

Details:
I always stop down as much as possible, and use slow-type lenses in comparison to what most people are into and prefer; and from what I've gathered that can help cloak existence of this problem with the camera model. True?
(irrespective, it still needs fixing if it exists.)

My indoor use is 95% limited to static, mostly close focused subjects, and lighting is those common domestic grade flourescent bulbs, and sometimes resort to on-cam + external flash for assist or effect.

Q:
Is that classed as "tungsten", or another no-no type of lighting; or would it be likely to give A-focusing problems for a K-r, if faulty?

.R.
12-22-2010, 12:16 PM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote

My indoor use is 95% limited to static, mostly close focused subjects, and lighting is those common domestic grade flourescent bulbs, and sometimes resort to on-cam + external flash for assist or effect.

Q:
Is that classed as "tungsten", or another no-no type of lighting; or would it be likely to give A-focusing problems for a K-r, if faulty?

.R.
Well compact fluorescent bulbs or reg flourescent should be fine with the AF as far as I know.

It is Tungsten, ie: your standard light bulb type that causes most of the issues. It does on my K-r. with any lenses I think although some are worse than others and some focal lengths are worse than others. When it is at its worse even the AF adjust wont make it work right.

I wouldnt really say this makes the camera faulty, I think it is a common issue with many dslrs as far as I know.

You will notice that focusing with live view in Tungsten is dead on accurate.
03-08-2011, 08:13 AM   #26

K-r

I spoke with live chat onPentax web site :

"
Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...
All agents are currently busy. Please stand by.
You have been connected to Michael C.
Michael C: Thank you for contacting Pentax chat support P, how may I help you?
Michael C: sir?
Pavel Levin: yes
Pavel Levin: I have the pentax K-r....
Pavel Levin: i noticed a front focus problem under tungsten light.....
Pavel Levin: i did a research over the internet and seems like it is an issue reported by many K-r users.....
Pavel Levin: Is there going to be a fix for that? I have one more week to return my camera and i need to decide wether to keep it or buy some other brand.
Pavel Levin: ?
Michael C: We do not have any information on any type of fix at this time. Pentax is aware and is researching it as we speak
Michael C: if any information becomes available, it will be posted on our website
Pavel Levin: is pentax aware that the problem is in the K-R, not only in the K-5?
Michael C: Pentax is aware and is researching it as we speak
Pavel Levin: so, what would should i do?
Michael C: you can exchange it from the place of purchase or send it into us and let us take a look at it
Michael C: or wait and see if any information will be released
Pavel Levin: If i send it to you, how much time will it take , untill i get it back..?
Michael C: It does take approximately 15-20 business days for repair
Pavel Levin: ok, thank you very much for the information....

"

Now my problem is that I don't know what to do, to keep the k-R or not?

Switch to K-X?

go for Nikon or Canon?

I am new to DSLR, I have zero knowlage at this point.

As Hypocorism I don't know how to spot this problem.

If i have this problem I will assume it is b/c I am not stable when i shoot.

Is this problem happening when i shoot landscape at night or day? or just indoors?

I saw a thread that most of the K-r users are keeping their camera.

I don't know what to do?

I hope i am posting this at the right place.....

p.s

Can Pentax acknowledge the problem, but not provide a fix?
03-08-2011, 09:01 AM   #27

karelson i am at the same position like you.Despite the fact that i really love my kr,i am seriously thinking of returning it and buy a different system.All this uncertitude whether pentax confirms or deny the problem and the advice to wait for a firmware update without a timeline is not very reassuring.At the end all we wanted to have is a camera not to give us stress but to let us take photos and have some good time.Thats my humble opinion.