Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2010, 10:09 AM   #1

Good deal on k-r

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I just pulled the trigger on my first dslr, I'm so excited!!! Got a good deal on ebay. Much lower price than I've seen anywhere:

Pentax K-r Digital SLR Camera w/ 18-55mm & 55-300mm Len - eBay (item 130446111551 end time Nov-19-10 07:44:55 PST)

Time to hit these forums hard and learn as much as I can

10-21-2010, 10:17 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
congrats... looking forward to getting your impressions and pics ... dave m
10-21-2010, 10:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Indeed a good deal. $999 else where and from a reputable seller too. Good find!
10-21-2010, 10:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It has to be a Gray Market set. With a Japan warrenty.

10-21-2010, 10:42 AM   #5
Nic

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote

Interesting... Now Im interested to see!
10-21-2010, 10:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
They are a pentax authorized dealer (just got a rebate back from a lens I bought from them - not sure there is more concrete proof of that!). Since the serial number card is generic and Pentax does not have online warranty registration, I would think a receipt from an authorized dealer would net you proper warranty repair in the US, wouldn't it?
10-21-2010, 10:55 AM   #7

Good luck with it, the seller has a bad history of selling refurbished as new, fakes, sending the wrong thing or alternate products and selling items not in stock.

Negatives.

10-21-2010, 10:59 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by KansasHorizons.com Quote
Good luck with it, the seller has a bad history of selling refurbished as new, fakes, sending the wrong thing or alternate products and selling items not in stock.

Negatives.
I'd be shocked if there is even one refurb Kr out there right now, let alone enough for this place to have them.
10-21-2010, 11:01 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Rory Quote
I'd be shocked if there is even one refurb Kr out there right now, let alone enough for this place to have them.
I am going with gray market product or being sent a refurbished K-x. I would bet they have a vacant lot for their address and its a Malaysian company.
10-21-2010, 11:14 AM   #10
Nic

Well...Good luck with it!
10-21-2010, 11:34 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KansasHorizons.com Quote
I am going with gray market product or being sent a refurbished K-x. I would bet they have a vacant lot for their address and its a Malaysian company.
Wow a lot of negativity towards a company with 99.5 positive and an ebay customer satisfation award.

FWIW, i did contact the company prior to the purchase and the sales rep confirmed that they are a Pentax authorized dealer and the camera was a USA model with a one year USA manufacturers warranty for the camera and lenses. So unless he flat out lied to me on the phone, everything seems legit so I bought it. I'll report back when (or as some think "if" i get it).

BTW, he offered a 3 year extended "Mack" warranty for the Camera and lenses. Again, I think this sounds like a good deal, should I buy it or are there better options out there?

Thanks for your comments...

Last edited by xr4kw; 10-21-2010 at 12:03 PM. Reason: typo
10-21-2010, 11:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by xr4kw Quote
Wow a lot of negativity towards a companywith 99.5 positive and an ebay customer satisfation award.

Yeah! I am surprised too....it looks totally legit, infact it says "yes" for manufacturer's warranty.

Congratulation on an excellent buy.
10-21-2010, 11:44 AM   #13

The same seller also has K-r plus 18-55mm lens only for the same price in another listing. So it is likely a price error. But I hope and believe that you will get it (unless someone calls them to alert them of course:-)!
10-21-2010, 12:02 PM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by yzuo Quote
The same seller also has K-r plus 18-55mm lens only for the same price in another listing. So it is likely a price error. But I hope and believe that you will get it (unless someone calls them to alert them of course:-)!
10-21-2010, 12:06 PM   #15
Site Supporter

I have a k-r on order from a canadian authorized pentax distributor. His prices are way lower than the competition but I have been assured a canadian warranty. $690 for the body only + taxes and shipping. $790 kit

I have read good reports from the retailer on threads here so should hopefully be ok. I also ordered a lens from another similar vendor that also had the best prices around, it arrived as promised. Ends up they both run different store names but are part of the same camera store franchise, which sort of explains the low prices, also both are located rurally.

Some places may use grey market stuff for sure (which just means no warranty), but some just pay much much lower rent (such as a small camera store that does high volume internet business but exists in a small rural town). Obviously they might have a price adavantage over say a big box store that pays a fortune in overhead each month

Ill let you all know who my retailer is when I receive my camera and all is well. Should have it next week!

Last edited by Deimos; 10-21-2010 at 12:12 PM.