Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2010, 12:15 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by xr4kw Quote
FWIW, i did contact the company prior to the purchase and the sales rep confirmed that they are a Pentax authorized dealer and the camera was a USA model with a one year USA manufacturers warranty for the camera and lenses. So unless he flat out lied to me on the phone, everything seems legit so I bought it. I'll report back when (or as some think "if" i get it).

BTW, he offered a 3 year extended "Mack" warranty for the Camera and lenses. Again, I think this sounds like a good deal, should I buy it or are there better options out there?
You did all the right things -
it's a really good price - for the current new to the market levels.

Congrats.

If you used a credit card - might want to check its benefits -
I have a couple that doubles the manufacturer's guarantee for up to an extra year -
and some have purchase replacement for 90 days includes loss/theft and accidental damage.

Some also have Price Protection which will refund price difference if an item is found with lower purchase price within 60 days (up to $500 ).

10-21-2010, 12:22 PM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
You did all the right things -
If you used a credit card - might want to check its benefits -
I have a couple that doubles the manufacturer's guarantee for up to an extra year -
and some have purchase replacement for 90 days includes loss/theft and accidental damage.

Some also have Price Protection which will refund price difference if an item is found with lower purchase price within 60 days (up to $500 ).
+100 on that

you are basically covered in case the seller is fraudulent, if you lose the item or it is stolen (in the first 3 months) and double warranty and such. I get this with a travel visa, I use it for every big purchase. It already got me the value of one stolen camera back!
10-21-2010, 12:25 PM   #18
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
I have a k-r on order from a canadian authorized pentax distributor. His prices are way lower than the competition but I have been assured a canadian warranty. $690 for the body only + taxes and shipping. $790 kit
Who's that dealer ?? I'm from Montreal and no one here has the K-r yet...
10-21-2010, 01:46 PM   #19

I don't think it is price error this time! The Adorama offers almost same price for $850!
Looking forward your report!! If there is nothing wrong, I'll buy it! It's really a good deal!

--
Nobody makes any call this time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by atom0221; 10-21-2010 at 06:37 PM.
10-21-2010, 08:45 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Got one today afternoon at $829, now the item marked as shipped with UPS tracking no.

I think it is a great deal!
Attached Images

Last edited by arm_jstp; 10-22-2010 at 03:08 PM.
10-21-2010, 10:26 PM   #21

Let us know how it goes with this, please.
10-21-2010, 10:40 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by KansasHorizons.com Quote
I am going with gray market product or being sent a refurbished K-x. I would bet they have a vacant lot for their address and its a Malaysian company.
I've bought several things from this seller over the years and NEVER had a problem.

10-21-2010, 10:45 PM   #23

Good one!
10-21-2010, 11:04 PM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arm_jstp Quote
Bought one today afternoon, now the item marks as shipped with UPS tracking no. I think it is a great deal!
Yup, i got a tracking number also
10-22-2010, 07:02 AM   #25
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I also ordered this deal this morning. It looks like the seller has sold 6 of them as of this morning.
10-22-2010, 08:01 AM   #26
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Price raised to 869 as of now. Still a good deal...Good luck to the few (including myself) who got it for 829.
10-22-2010, 09:16 AM   #27

Well, I'm irritated at myself for not pulling the trigger on this at $829 but I was doing some dilligence (calling the company, calling Pentax) to check on legitimacy, warranty coverage, etc. But, I did just get in at $869. Still a great deal, but just kicking myself for not placing the order 3 hours ago when I almost did... thought "no problem, I'll just wait this later today."

Pentax says that they don't have any serial number lists to know what cameras are U.S. vs. overseas/Canada markets, and they don't have a comprehensive list in Customer Service of who is and is not an authorized reseller. Pentax rep said that $999 is list price for this and Pentax tries to maintain list for the first 6 months of a product being out. Pentax rep also said that in order to have warranty coverage all I would need to have is a receipt that is not a Paypal type receipt. I called asavings (Hotdigital) and they indicated I would get a regular receipt, not a paypal receipt, with the camera as proof of purchase. Asavings also stated they are an authorized reseller for Pentax and buy all their products direct from the manufacturer.

So, again, mad at myself for not getting in at $829 but can't be too disgusted at $869 for the same package that Amazon is selling for $899. I just hate not getting the absolute best deal.
10-22-2010, 10:02 AM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Martowski Quote
So, again, mad at myself for not getting in at $829 but can't be too disgusted at $869 for the same package that Amazon is selling for $899. I just hate not getting the absolute best deal.
Don't be too mad, you still got a good deal. The Amazon price is still at $999 for the same package with the 55-300 lense. The $899 price is for the 50-200 lense...
10-22-2010, 10:21 AM   #29

Good point... yes, forgot that the 55-300mm kit on Amazon is actually $999.

The $40 isn't something I'll miss horribly... just the principle of paying $40 more than I could have a few hours ago. But I wanted to dot all my "i's" and cross all my "t's" before placing this order.

I was impressed with the guy I talked with in customer service at asavings/Hotdigital, Pentax indicates they would honor the warranty, and my credit card company indicates if there's a problem I can dispute the charge so I feel pretty good about this right now. I did as much research as I could on this board and the dpreview boards and the comments I could find about Hotdigital were all pretty positive.
10-22-2010, 10:32 AM   #30

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by xr4kw Quote
Wow a lot of negativity towards a company with 99.5 positive and an ebay customer satisfation award.

FWIW, i did contact the company prior to the purchase and the sales rep confirmed that they are a Pentax authorized dealer and the camera was a USA model with a one year USA manufacturers warranty for the camera and lenses. So unless he flat out lied to me on the phone, everything seems legit so I bought it. I'll report back when (or as some think "if" i get it).

BTW, he offered a 3 year extended "Mack" warranty for the Camera and lenses. Again, I think this sounds like a good deal, should I buy it or are there better options out there?

Thanks for your comments...
Glad you called, Hopefully it works out for you.

Yes, A lot of negativity towards power sellers that have high ratings and are still scammers.

I just got nailed by one selling (non working) fake electronics with pirated software on a cdr to go with it. They sell so many things and some work and some don't.

Ebay will not let you leave a power seller a negative rating until a few weeks have passed so many probably just drop it rather than leave the negative or I would bet they would not be at 99%. The problem is in the numbers that way as they can still get 100's of negatives a week for pirated or fake items and still maintain those numbers. I have found that as often as not if it doesn't say USA warranty in the description then it won't be regardless of what the salesman says on the phone.

QuoteOriginally posted by jgmankos Quote
I've bought several things from this seller over the years and NEVER had a problem.
See above. Just getting overly cautious with all the scamming in this economy.