Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2010, 12:17 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Initially the E-dial on my K-r worked fine but after about a month it started to skip clicks and act erratically. It would raise the shutter speed when I tried to lower it or if I tried to zoom in to see the sharpness of a shot it'd zoom out all the way to the thumbnail view .

So 15 days ago I took it back to the shop and they sent it to the local Pentax repair center. Today I got it back from the shop and the note that came with it said that a circuit board had been changed and some adjustments made.

Now it works as it should so I'm happy...But waiting two and a half weeks was tough

06-26-2011, 10:19 AM   #47
Inactive Account

edial on kr

I just purchased a new k-r an upon first use i noticed the e-dial was malfunctioning! After reading several posts on this issue (apparently to much lubricant on dial) I read that some people spun the edial for several mins to fix this problem! Well i came up with this solution insted of returning it to get replacment or sending in for repair. This solution worked in just 1 min of work!!!!!!!!!! I am one happy pentaxian again! First get u a hand held cordless drill and insert a nut runner or drill bit etc etc, then place tape around the bit or nut runner. i then placed the camera lens down between seat cushions on my couch, i then used the drill to spin the edial towards the left (most trouble for me to the left) after less than 30 seconds of spinning the dial with the drill the dial works like new! Hope this helps every one with this problem like it did me
06-26-2011, 04:59 PM   #48
Inactive Account

Just recieved my k-r in the mail the other day and right out of the box i had issues with my e-dial! From doing research i found out this is a common problom! This is how i fixed mine in bout a min! I placed a bit in my cordless drill, then i wrapped the bit in black electrical tape then i applied it to the edial and spun the edial to the left with the drill for bout 15 seconds! Problem solved! No joke! I tried blowing air in it with high pressure air compressor also with no results. Hope this helps many pentaxians out with there e-dial problems.
09-21-2011, 08:54 AM   #49

E-dial fix

The problem with the e-dial appears to be common to a number of Pentax DSLRs. Dirt from hands etc enters the dial and clogs up the contacts on the e-dial switch when it is used.

I have found the following solution to be very efficient and cost effective on my *ist DS:

1. Buy some aerosol contact cleaner from your local electronics shop.
In the UK, Maplin sell this contact cleaner for 3.99.
In the US, Amazon sell this contact cleaner for $6.99.
IMPORTANT: Make sure the cleaner is the type that DOES NOT leave a residue. (There are also switch cleaners that lubricate. You do not want this type).

2. Remove the batteries.

3. Switch the camera on and off again without the batteries in to make sure there is no residual charge.

4. Spray the cleaner into either side of the e-dial and turn it both ways. I did this step 3 times.

5. Make sure the solvent in the cleaner has completely evaporated.

6. Replace the batteries.

7. Switch the camera on and try the e-dial to see if it is working as expected.

This routine worked first time for me but if you have no success I would recommend a second attempt at spraying the dial (step 4).

I have been advised that dismantling the camera body and cleaning the e-dial in isolation would be better - but I wasn't knowledgeable (or brave) enough to do this.

Good luck - hope this works for you.

09-21-2011, 10:43 AM   #50
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
i can attest to mukiwa's method of fixing the e-dial.

i received my k-r in april, e-dial acted up shortly thereafter (moving it either way would result in a fast forwarding to the highest zoom or aperture, etc and it would get stuck there). the moving it fast back and forth technique did little to help me. i sent it to pentax and had it fixed under warranty. received it from pentax repair, worked for awhile, then last month had the same issues while on vacation. i emailed pentax for what to do, send it for repair again or ask for a new body, they said "send it for repair again". i then came across this post https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-r-forum/138906-pentax-k-r-e-dial.html

last night i went to my local home depot and picked up this contact cleaner http://www.crcindustries.com/Catalog/images/Cleaners%20and%20Degreasers/02130.jpg
after doing exactly what mukiwa suggests, my e-dial is working like it hasn't ever worked before ... like new!
the dial moves incrementally, step by step as it should in all modes.