Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2010, 01:10 AM   #31
Inactive Account

Before I purchased my own K-x I was able to use a friend's for a couple of months. He told me at the time that the only thing that had ever gone wrong with the camera was that the e-dial had become erratic and unresponsive after owning it for about 3 months. He called Pentax customer service, they had him send it off to their service center in Arizona, and he had it back in about 3 weeks.

As to what caused it, he didn't say. It may have had something to do with condensation as others here have mentioned; my friend rarely shoots anything that isn't outdoors, and he uses the camera in all seasons. I think the first time I ever saw him use it was on a backcountry ski trip, so while he's careful with it, he doesn't baby it either. Anyway, Pentax certainly didn't balk at covering it under warranty.

11-14-2010, 09:11 AM   #32

Photos: Albums
Mt first Kr's e-dial acted the same way. It was erratic whether I turned slow or fast but more so when turned fast. I returned it and haven't had a problem since.
11-14-2010, 11:29 PM   #33
Forum Member

No problem of note here. Mine is fine for photo operations (changing shutter speed, etc): one click per adjust. Occasionally slower if zooming in and out quickly on review, which I put down to a processing issue. Not slow enough to bother me though.
11-17-2010, 08:52 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The initial e-dial issues sound like they may be lubrication related. Once the excess lubricant is dispersed the e-dial function improves. A few have noted the problem persists. In those few cases, there may be an issue with the tolerances in the e-dial mechanism.

I think I'd use/test the camera for a few weeks before calling for support. Still a new camera should just WORK, period.

I've been thinking about making the jump from the K200D to the K-7 or K-R. What do you guys suggest?

11-17-2010, 09:26 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
so for those experiencing the slow e-dial (which seems to be many ppl) does it work fine when moved slower?
Sorry for the belated response.

My K-x e-dial *does* work fine when I move it at a more controlled pace.
It has been a total non-issue for me.
11-24-2010, 03:20 PM   #36

I just posted this on another thread, but yes, even when moving very slowly, I got the following (for shutter speed - moving the dial in ONE direction only):

3200, 2500, 2000, 1600, 1250, 1000, 2500, 2000, 1600, 1250, 1000, 800, 1000, 800, 640
In response to tourdeforce though - assuming this dial problem isn't going to be a general issue - I'd go for the k-r over the k-7 (unless you really need weather sealing).

The k-r has the new focusing and better iso performance. And moving from the k20d, I was surprised at how many features I still have - they just don't have dedicated buttons. But the menu (and the info button) are so well designed that everything is quick to get to, and some things are even easier to change on the k-r than they were on the k20.

I'll be taking mine back to the shop tomorrow. But assuming the new one has no problems with the dial, its seems to be a great camera. Even if the k-r and the k-7 were the same price, I think I'd be tempted to go for the k-r.
12-10-2010, 07:53 AM   #37

hey.. my K-r e-dial is acting slow too.. should I return it and get a new one ?

12-10-2010, 09:04 AM   #38
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sonnief Quote
hey.. my K-r e-dial is acting slow too.. should I return it and get a new one ?
Play with the edial a bunch. If the edial doesnt get any better after using it a lot maybe removing possible condensation or residue, I would return it.
12-10-2010, 01:29 PM   #39
Veteran Member

For me, the e-dial only responds slowly in certain menus (such as the ISO setting menu). At least for me, this is certainly a software/firmware problem, not a hardware issue.

--DragonLord
12-10-2010, 07:13 PM   #40

I was getting worried, because I just ordered one, but I realize that if someone has a problem with their e-dialer, they're going to come online and post about it. People won't actively find this thread and post in it if it's working properly.

Anyway, I'm just hoping I receive one without a problem, but if worse comes to worst, I'll just send it back for a new one.
12-10-2010, 07:18 PM   #41
Inactive Account

I bought my K-r at the beginning of November and all was fine. After about five hundred actuations the e-dial started to act eratic, jumping from 200 iso to 6400, shutter speed would not change, couldn't get aperature to go lower than f16. I had the camera too long to exchange so I sent in in to pentax service.
12-10-2010, 10:37 PM   #42
Inactive Account

hasta este momento mi e-dial funciona bien
12-11-2010, 04:44 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

e-dial worked fine...for a month

Now I'm waiting for its replacement.
12-15-2010, 02:26 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

New K-r arrived

No problems with newegg and no e-dial problems yet.
12-16-2010, 01:50 PM   #45
Forum Member

Original Poster
In my case, slower was "better" but it didn't seem to be a speed of turning issue really. Fast didn't work well at all, but slow didn't "solve" the problem. I ended up returning the original to Amazon and ordering a replacement and the replacement has worked flawlessly as far as the e-dial is concerned (and everything else for that matter).