Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2010, 12:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-r PEF in Lightroom?

This is the wife speaking, Larsenio is at work while I test my new K-r

I have a problem with Lightroom; even when I downloaded the release candidate (Lr 3.3) it didn't support the K-r PEF files meaning I have over 300 test shots that can't be imported!

Is there anything else I can download to do a little bit of post processing? I have tried to install the software that came with the camera but it's slow and horrible...

Wonder how long I will have to wait before the K-r is included in a Lightroom-update...

Maria

10-28-2010, 12:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Not sure, but you probably want to shoot raw in .DNG I've never used PEF and never had LR or PSE get confused converting from raw.
10-28-2010, 12:47 PM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

With the camera being as new as it is, I doubt there is any 3rd party software that will recognize it. For the photos that you've already taken, you are probably stuck with included software.
10-28-2010, 12:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What's the difference?

Yeah, I'm a noob :P

10-28-2010, 12:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
With the camera being as new as it is, I doubt there is any 3rd party software that will recognize it. For the photos that you've already taken, you are probably stuck with included software.
That's pretty much what I thought too... It my husband that wants me to shoot in PEF, don't know why, but is it better with the other format?
10-28-2010, 12:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can try adobe free dng converter but I guess that may not have the support for K-5 PEF added either.

As a go forward method, you can shoot in 'DNG'. It will be recognized by Adobe. It is also a raw format, takes up more space though.
10-28-2010, 12:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dexmus Quote
You can try adobe free dng converter but I guess that may not have the support for K-5 PEF added either.

As a go forward method, you can shoot in 'DNG'. It will be recognized by Adobe. It is also a raw format, takes up more space though.
Ok, thanks, will do

10-28-2010, 12:53 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Not sure, but you probably want to shoot raw in .DNG.
I agree, particularly with a newly released camera. Who knows how long it will take Adobe to support the PEFs in the K-r. Never have to worry about compatibility if shoot raw in DNG.
10-28-2010, 01:24 PM   #9
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larsenio Quote
That's pretty much what I thought too... It my husband that wants me to shoot in PEF, don't know why, but is it better with the other format?
DNG vs PEF has been debated ad-nauseum as to which is better quality. The short answer is there is no difference. They are both raw formats. In earlier Pentax models PEF was a compressed file and DNG wasn't, so you could get more photos on a card. Starting with the K7, DNG is also losslessly compressed, so the advantage to PEF was lost. DNG is far more universally recognized. I am not aware of any advantage anybody's proprietary Raw format has over DNG.
10-28-2010, 01:27 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hold your nose & use the included software to convert the PEF files to dng for this batch. These files you can import into LR. There is a fair chance that the final 3.3 version of LR will be OK for your new camera. You have a release candidate version; sort of a public beta and incomplete.

M
10-28-2010, 01:34 PM   #11
Veteran Member

If you shoot DNG, it will be recognized by pretty much any raw converter and shouldnt matter how new the camera model is.

PEF shouldn't pose a problem either, but at some point in the work-flow, you will have tom convert to DNG anyway. Why not just shoot in DNG?

DNG: pretty much the standard and recognized more than any other flavor.

Jason
10-28-2010, 01:50 PM   #12
Pentaxian

PEF and DNG offer the same advantages (which is why your husband suggested PEF.) These RAW files hold more image data than can be squeezed into a JPG. For new photos, change your RAW format to DNG in the camera menu.

For your 300 test shots, as suggested, use the Pentax software to convert your PEF files to DNG. Then import those.

Or, if you want to quickly glance at a couple of the test shots, play them back on the camera, and in the camera you can convert a picture to a JPEG. You can play with the colours, exposure, etc. and when you convert to a JPEG it will keep the adjustments too. And don't worry, it doesn't overwrite your original shot, it makes a new file that is JPEG.
10-28-2010, 02:49 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Hold your nose & use the included software to convert the PEF files to dng for this batch. These files you can import into LR. There is a fair chance that the final 3.3 version of LR will be OK for your new camera. You have a release candidate version; sort of a public beta and incomplete.
Actually the included software Pentax DCU (Digital Camera Utility) is based on SilkyPix and it's pretty good.

In fact I would go as far to say I prefer its results over LightRoom 3 beta that I tried and over ACR (Adobe Camera RAW) which is what is called by PhotoShop (and Elements) - for color rendering and balance - especially on white/gray point selection which is normally the easiest/best way to combat extreme and awkward lighting. (please see Post #23 in Modern LED Stage Lighting & photography problems, but also please read Posts #86 & #122 where JPGs are shown to be just as capable)