Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2010, 10:03 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
I hope some of software improvements in K-r will come as a new firmware update to K-x.

10-29-2010, 10:50 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
thanks for this 'regular' guy review... sometimes scientific evaluations make my head spin.... nice to know the real world, hands on, qualitative 'feel' and response of this new body from pentax..
what i find interesting though, is that is this new model so dramatic an improvement over the k-x to make me want to buy a k-r... for me, the collective jury is still out..... when more and more of 'us' here in the forum give it a longer term useage, we'll all know the answer to this question ...
lookin' forward to your pics from your new k-r.... best of luck !! thanks for this post, dave m
Well it all depends on how you shoot. I don't think AF speed is dramatically improved, but it now has an AF lamp. I hate that strobing flash AF assist, so that's a big plus. And seeing AF points in the viewfinder is very helpful in low light. So if you're a frequent low light shooter, the difference can be big.

Also, if you shoot a lot of live view, the contract detect auto focus is now really usable. Ditto for the hand held HDR. If you think your shooting style will use these things a lot, the camera will be drastically better than the K-x. If you don't use these features, it will not seem very different. Since the image quality seems about the same as the K-x, I'd only recommend the K-r if you're interested in these features.
10-29-2010, 11:14 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
Also, if you shoot a lot of live view, the contract detect auto focus is now really usable.
Have you tried contrast detect for low light photography in tungsten lighting? I wonder if it would be more accurate than phase detect?
10-29-2010, 11:20 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Have you tried contrast detect for low light photography in tungsten lighting? I wonder if it would be more accurate than phase detect?
Actually, I did test the contract detect live view auto focus in tungsten light and it was pretty much spot on. Same result in fluorescent light. It wasn't super low light, but just indoor illumination level. So I guess the front focus is based only on the phase detect auto focus mechanism.

10-29-2010, 11:32 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Actually, I did test the contract detect live view auto focus in tungsten light and it was pretty much spot on. Same result in fluorescent light. It wasn't super low light, but just indoor illumination level. So I guess the front focus is based only on the phase detect auto focus mechanism.
Interesting....so does that mean that if you used LV in tungsten you wouldnt need to dial in AF adjust?
10-29-2010, 12:03 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
Interesting....so does that mean that if you used LV in tungsten you wouldnt need to dial in AF adjust?
I believe that's correct. I'm guessing the AF adjust only applies to the phase detect auto focus and not contrast detect. Honestly, the fine AF adjust is pretty minor. Even between -10 and +10 adjustment, the difference was not that major. It truly is only a fine adjust.
10-29-2010, 12:08 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Well, I just did some anecdotal testing. I pointed the camers towards the same things with one on either side of my head so I could hear which one focus confirmed first. In this test, the K-r pretty much always focused faster than the K-x. However, when not holding them side by side, the effect is less dramatic. I think the K-r seems to seek around less. And the motor seems quicker. But it's not that dramatic in my opinion.
Many thanks for that.

I didn't think it would be dramatic as I find the K-x pretty fast to begin with -
both the K-x and the K-7 are some of the fastest focusing in good light -
lower light levels present some difficulties - but that also applies to other dSLRs too.

PopPhoto.com Review and Images - including the chart below:

So the K-r probably would have to be in focus before I even thought of it, to be "dramatic" -

but nevertheless it is good to hear (operative word ) that the K-r seemed consistently/mostly faster.

Thank you.

EDIT to ADD:

scan of the review Test panel from the paper magazine Popular Photography - April, 2011 issue - for comparison with the K-x

Last edited by UnknownVT; 03-29-2011 at 09:31 AM.
10-29-2010, 12:57 PM   #23
Site Supporter

I believe that's correct. I'm guessing the AF adjust only applies to the phase detect auto focus and not contrast detect. Honestly, the fine AF adjust is pretty minor. Even between -10 and +10 adjustment, the difference was not that major. It truly is only a fine adjust.
Awesome. You know the way minor or negligible issues get blown out of proportion on teh internets, nice to have some real info!

Cant wait for mine, darn slow shipping!!

10-30-2010, 02:22 PM   #24

Well it seemed consistent between my 18-55mm kit lens and Sigma 30mm F/1.4 lens in that they both front-focused in tungsten. If you're not shooting very narrow DoF, you're unlikely to notice it. I have an old 50mm F/1.2 lens. I noticed that the focus confirmation on my old K-x used to noticably front focus on that in tungsten. Of course, with DoF less than 1cm, it becomes more important! I have to check the focus in daylight, but it's night now. I'm overally very happy with the K-r.
This appears to be a real problem for the K-r - I've recently exchanged mine for a second one, and it still has severe front focus even with focus adjustment set to max... And considering I bought it specifically to shoot wide-open in tungsten light, I am at a loss about what to do next (I am afraid I won't be able to exchange this body for a third one ). This is the first Pentax camera out of the 4 models I've bought to have this issue, it's really frustrating. Has anyone figured how to enable debug menu on this camera?
10-30-2010, 03:40 PM   #25
Forum Member

Nice little review. Too bad I just got my K-x and it costs more, otherwise I'd be shooting K-r now. Maybe the next generation then, which I hope will have a better name. Kay err is a bit of a mouthful.

I hope it would be K-o, which would be the funniest DSLR name ever. Or, maybe K-t or K-c, so I can say I'm married to my camera.
03-27-2011, 07:14 PM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by wahid_satu Quote
Maybe the next generation then, which I hope will have a better name. Kay err is a bit of a mouthful.
Yeah, okay. I see now. Because it's quite a bit goofier than *istDL or much tougher to say than EOS REBEL T3i 600D.

Dude, it's two letters total.....that's hardly a mouthful.

Last edited by ccd333; 03-27-2011 at 07:21 PM.
03-28-2011, 09:43 AM   #27

Photos: Albums
I have to say the high resolution screen really makes so much of a difference, people seem to downplay it, but it's so damn useful.
03-29-2011, 04:15 AM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by Metalwizards Quote
I have to say the high resolution screen really makes so much of a difference, people seem to downplay it, but it's so damn useful.
It's really neat. Already had the pleasure of using it on the K-7 I had and for macrowork but also for other liveview wor it's really handy. The K-x was just to low res to finetune for maximum sharpness when doing macro work, the K-r screen is much sharper and get maximum sharpness with liveview is that much easier.

Checking sharpnes of the pictures you have made is also much better than on the K-x. On the K-x you could get a false sense of sharpness, on the K-r you know if something's is sharp or not.

I have gotten to the point I keep my K-r only and did not invest in a planned upgrade to the K-5 coming from a K-7. Can live with the loss of controls compared to the K-5 and the loss of the top LCD.
03-30-2011, 08:55 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Metalwizards Quote
A lot of it (for me) is just higher resolution preview. The K10D and K20D have equally low resolution screens but zooming in allows you to really see if it is in focus and look at the noise.

I've heard reports that the K-7 and K-5 smooth the pixels too, can anyone verify this?