Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2010, 08:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-r anyone?

When the K-x first came out there was a flood of new threads about them, but the K-r does not seem to generating questions. It is available in the UK have the States not got theirs there yet?

10-31-2010, 08:57 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
See our homepage- it's available!

The Largest Pentax Camera & Photography Forum - Pentax News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com Home

It's an amazing camera, but really just an improved k-x, so I don't think it warrants as much new discussion.
10-31-2010, 09:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
See our homepage- it's available!

The Largest Pentax Camera & Photography Forum - Pentax News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com Home

It's an amazing camera, but really just an improved k-x, so I don't think it warrants as much new discussion.
agreed just seems odd no questions, there must be new buyers who have not had a K-x or any other Pentax if it comes to it. I wonder how well the K-r is selling?
I am told by my local Pentax dealer that there is not much interest, there is more in the K-x
10-31-2010, 09:15 AM   #4
Pentaxian

A lot of question and answer are going on on K-R. I am surpise you do not find any!!

10-31-2010, 09:16 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I think it's because it's hard to say no to such a camera for a mere $499. I'm sure that once the K-r falls to a lower price, and the word spreads, its sales will pick up.
10-31-2010, 09:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
A lot of question and answer are going on on K-R. I am surpise you do not find any!!
really? i have not seen any in beginners or general photograpy which is where I would expect to see them and a search using K-r in this DSLR Disscussion does not throw up anything apart from a couple of threads on manuals and of course Adam's posts on the K-r, or am I looking in the wrong places ????????
10-31-2010, 09:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I think the K-r is too similar to the K-x, and the K-x is nearly half its cost used! for most beginners, i think the K-x would be more than enough.
10-31-2010, 09:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I see on a UK pentax site that pentax is going to announce a rebate on the new lines, bit tough on those who have bought already.
Pentax cashback

10-31-2010, 09:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eagle_Friends Quote
I think the K-r is too similar to the K-x, and the K-x is nearly half its cost used! for most beginners, i think the K-x would be more than enough.
I would somewhat disagree. The upgrades from the Kx to the Kr are significant, although depending your priorities and budget the Kx might still be the better choice. The Kr address most of the "shortcomings" of the Kx; specifically the Kr has illuminated AF points, an AF assist light, significantly improve rear LCD, faster AF and a Li-Ion battery (w/ option to still use AA). Also, potentially better IQ at high ISO.

That said, for half the price the Kx is a tempting option if those improvement aren't that important to a potential buyer.
10-31-2010, 11:03 AM   #10

How about the front/back focus with the K-r?
Anyone found any problems with your lenses on the K-r?
I'm asking this cause someone from the Dutch Pentaxian forum has a sincere
problem with frontfocusing with all his lenses.
10-31-2010, 11:03 AM   #11
Veteran Member

First of all, I think a lot of Pentax owners (old and new) bought a K-x or K-7. Second, if you own either of those cameras, the K-r is not revolutionary, but evolutionary (unlike the K-x in particular which set such a new standard for high ISO shooting). Third, the price is simply too high right now imho.

Personally, as a K200D owner who is itching to pick up one of these newer cameras, I've resisted hard picking up a K-x body new for around $430. But with the K-r out now, the K-x becomes a bit less appealing. But then I come back to the K-r which is at best $699, and I can't justify that right now. If it drops a couple hundred bucks soon though, I'll pick it up asap.
10-31-2010, 11:16 AM   #12
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
For someone who has never invested in a Pentax DSLR, I found the KR to be much more appealing than the KX, even with the price difference.

I like the improved LCD resolution (HUGE difference), faster FPS, visible AF point, improved HDR, improved AF, faster live view focusing, larger buffer in continuous shooting for RAW and JPEG, dual power sources, etc.

The IQ may not be that different but some of the improved features are helpful in everyday use, especially in low light situations.
10-31-2010, 11:48 AM   #13
Forum Member

I have my K-r and it is my first DSLR (I've done work in the past on a Pentax MX... all manual and great for learning the basics of photography). I'm extremely impressed with this camera. Spec wise on paper, this camera seems to compare very favoribly with the Canon T2i which seems like the benchmark for entry-level DSLRs. I just tested the focus adjust on my K-r with both my 18-55mm and 55-300mm lenses using the Moire intereference pattern tests and it checks out right on! No adjustment needed providing I did the tests correctly (and I'm 99.99% positive I did based on following the instructions, seeing the results, and also purposely taking my manual focus slightly off to test the camera's autofocus action).
10-31-2010, 12:47 PM   #14
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
It''s funny you mentioned the T2i. I owned the T2i for several months and sold it to get the KR. No regrets here...The IQ of the KR tops the T2i at high ISO. It's much faster in continuous shooting also.

QuoteOriginally posted by Martowski Quote
I have my K-r and it is my first DSLR (I've done work in the past on a Pentax MX... all manual and great for learning the basics of photography). I'm extremely impressed with this camera. Spec wise on paper, this camera seems to compare very favoribly with the Canon T2i which seems like the benchmark for entry-level DSLRs. I just tested the focus adjust on my K-r with both my 18-55mm and 55-300mm lenses using the Moire intereference pattern tests and it checks out right on! No adjustment needed providing I did the tests correctly (and I'm 99.99% positive I did based on following the instructions, seeing the results, and also purposely taking my manual focus slightly off to test the camera's autofocus action).
10-31-2010, 12:51 PM   #15
Forum Member

Yeah, seems like most of the review's I've read in the past few months have recommended the T2i as the best all-around DSLR in this price range. I wonder what they will say about the K-r.