Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2010, 11:12 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Old Vivitar flash "ok" for new K-r?

Hi

My wife recieved her K-r a few days ago and is really enjoying the art of photography!
(Today we actually had my in-laws babysit our daughter so that just the two of us could get a few hours to ourselves and take a walk down by the sea... Lovely!!!)

Anyway; I was wondering if it`s safe to attach my Vivitar Auto Thyristor 2800 to her camera?
Works well with my K10d, but I read after I started using this flash that some cameras can get too much voltage into to the electric parts and thing can get messed up.. So I`m kind of worried...

Will it work?

Yours sincerly

Tommy.

10-31-2010, 06:11 PM   #2

Hi Larsenio,

According to this page, it would not be safe to connect it to a recent Pentax camera.
However, as you said, you have used it on your K10D without any trouble so I would think it is safe to use it to your wife's K-r...

There seems to be some versions of this flash with lower trigger voltage, it looks like you're lucky...
I have read somewhere that the "safe" trigger voltage for Pentax DSLR's is 12V. I can't find where I read that, so you might not want to take my word on it!

Maybe somebody more qualified can give you more info...

François
11-01-2010, 09:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There are several posts that say Pentax has said 30V and under is okay. But you'd need to find out how much voltage for that particular flash by testing it. Those Vivitars can go up to 100's of volts, vary from flash to flash apparently. Get a tester and test it. I would. I took my 3700 to the hardware store and let them check it just in case. Mine turned out to be okay, but why risk a brand new camera? Test just to make sure.