Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2010, 09:48 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-r is a great camera. But very different from the K-7.

On a purely tactile basis, the win goes to the K-7. Feels great and sturdy in your hand. The dual control wheels are good, but more importantly they signify a different design approach where manual controls are more exposed to the user (like the ISO button on the top, and seperate AF and AE-L buttons on the back.) The K-r makes you go into the menus for most everything.

For video use, I would choose the K-r. The 720p 25 is beautiful and the sensor is fast with little or no "jello".

For indoor shooting, it's a tough call. The K-r has VERY good high-ISO performance. But the AF module does not correct for the wavelength of light, so AF accuracy on the K-r is likely less than the K-7.

For outdoor shooting, the K-7 will keep you from worrying when it rains.

If weight is a concern, the K-r weighs very little (while still feeling substantial in the hand.)

LOL, it's a really tough call with no obvious winner!

11-02-2010, 10:05 AM   #17
Forum Member

The weight is a non issue for me. I'm a big guy and actually like weight. If I do the K-7 it'll have a battery grip too.... that's another big bonus for me.. but I like that the K-r takes both battery types.

The bulk of my shooting takes place out doors. It it's inside it's done with lights, very rare do I shoot in the dark... except for trying to get that perfect moon shot

I have a budget of $1500 but that's a little flexible. I can do the K-r with DA L 18-55 AND ( bonus) DA 55-300 PLUS the DA 16-45 and DA 35mm. The 18-55 would likely go for sale and is of no concern. That package will run me around $1600 at Adorama. It's a bit more for the K-7 minus the 18-55 BUT it might be worth it to me.

Just have to wait out the holidays. We're a blended family with 5 kids. 4 of them chose to be born within a week of Christmas
11-02-2010, 11:25 AM   #18

Original Poster
Thank you all for the advice.

For me it's coming down to 2 features, neither of which are on both cameras. To get them both I need to buy a K-5
-Improved AF performance (K-r)
-dual dial controls (K-7)

The K-7 uses SAFOX VIII+ w/ secondary light sensor. The K200d uses SAFOX VIII....same systems without the wavelength sensor.

From this, I assume K200d & K-7 have similar performance (speed), with the K-7 system being more accurate in some light situations.

The K-r uses SAFOX IX, this has been described as a huge advancement in terms of performance (speed). I wonder if it's also more accurate.

AF performance and accuracy affects IQ, while dual controls are a convenience. I would choose IQ over convenience in this case.