Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2010, 07:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just ordered my K-r...

I just ordered my PENTAX K-r from Newegg with the 18-55 and 55-300 lenses, plus a remote control F. I can't wait to see how much better the pictures will be...

--DragonLord

11-02-2010, 07:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
what will you be comparing it to?
11-02-2010, 07:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eagle_Friends Quote
what will you be comparing it to?
A Fujifilm bridge camera. While the 18x zoom is very useful, the camera just doesn't produce acceptable results above ISO 400.

Besides, this is not just a matter of image quality - the greater flexibility of a DSLR system makes a big difference.

--DragonLord
11-02-2010, 08:01 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats on the purchase!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-03-2010, 03:40 AM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
A Fujifilm bridge camera. --DragonLord
Which one? I had the S1000FD before moving to the Canon SX20 is which was a light year better. Nearly a year later I wish I would have gone SLR instead of the Canon. K-r is one of my contenders so I'll watch for your review with interest.
11-03-2010, 08:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chadci Quote
A Fujifilm bridge camera. --DragonLord
Which one? I had the S1000FD before moving to the Canon SX20 is which was a light year better. Nearly a year later I wish I would have gone SLR instead of the Canon. K-r is one of my contenders so I'll watch for your review with interest.
Fujifilm FinePix S1800

--DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 11-03-2010 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Added link
11-05-2010, 08:24 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just received my K-r yesterday. I'll post a review when I get a chance.

--DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 11-05-2010 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Clarified post
11-05-2010, 03:17 PM   #8

I just received my K-r yesterday. I'll post a review when I get a chance.

--DragonLord

Looking forward to seeing some reviews from real people of the K-r. I'm considering the K-r, in lieu of the K-5 (budget..the folks back home have needed
some help of late, so it's getting tight here too...).
11-05-2010, 03:37 PM   #9
Site Supporter

mine is great. its a lot of camera!

I posted a "Quick K-r Review" somewhere...
11-05-2010, 03:39 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I just ordered my PENTAX K-r from Newegg with the 18-55 and 55-300 lenses, plus a remote control F. I can't wait to see how much better the pictures will be...

--DragonLord
It will take about 1 year before the smile fades from your face!
11-05-2010, 03:56 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just ordered a K-5 with the newegg 15%

I couldn't stop myself....
11-09-2010, 12:42 AM   #12
Inactive Account

I just got my K-r from the newegg.com sale. It's an upgrade from my non-working DS2.

First impressions... it feels small. I could swear it's got smaller dimensions than my DS2.. but I looked up the specs and it's actually slightly bigger. I guess they redesigned the layout a bit and I have to get used to it. But it does feel a little too small in my hands (I guess I have big hands). I wonder if the K5 would fit better in my hands....

I will say that I do miss the top LCD screen.. but I'm sure I will get used to it. The video mode is pretty cool. Some really great looking video. I wish they had 30 and 24 frame mode. But without auto-focus, it will be hard to use it in normal cases (or I'll just have to use a wide angle lens).

I've taken a few quick shots with it, and so far I'm a little disappointed. But I need to do further testing. So far it seems that the dynamic range is not improved from my old camera. I took a picture of a flower and the shadow area was losing a little detail and the highlights were also a bit blown out. I might need to play with the metering a bit. The other thing, was that the images looked a little soft. I was using the 55-300 lens. I tried to take images around the 200mm area in full sun. I also tried to stay around f8. Guess I have to increase the jpeg sharpening and/or do more sharpening in Lightroom.

I guess I was hoping for images that were much improved from the DS2.. but I'm not sure if I see it yet.

-Peter
11-09-2010, 04:02 PM   #13

--DragonLord
Have Fun with it, its a great cam! Here is my first Video test:

8mm Wallimex Fish Eye & 18-55mm DA
11-09-2010, 06:23 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Hi.
I see some people are a little disappointed of the K-r. Have had the chance to play around and do some testing with my wife`s newly arrived K-r and must agree on this.
I was wondering why she didn`t get sharper pictures and why they all seemed underexposed...

My concerne was right, I have now learned that I need to overexpose 1 to 2 steps to get correct histogram and exposures. In ALL shooting conditions!

The camera also needs to be stopped down much more than with my K10d to get sharp pictures.

For example the kit lens and my kit lens are quite sharp on my camera @3.5 but this is impossible in order to achieve the same sharp pictures on her camera.
Have to be around 5.6 and beyond on this camera.

I had great difficulties to have the focus area actually in-focus, but it seems that when I adjust the exposure to overexpose in every program as well as full M(anually) by 1 to 2 steps this actually is "fixed"

I guess the expectations were a bit high, going from the excellent low-ISO qualities of my K10d`s pentaprism contra my wife`s pentamirror K-r, but the viewfinder is SO much better/brighter on my camera...

However, now that I`ve figured out these "obstacles" I hope she`s going to re-discover her camera and get much brighter,correct and lovely HIGH-ISO pictures

All testing has been done in both RAW (NDG / PEF) and JPG...

Last edited by Larsenio; 11-09-2010 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Thorough explanation
11-10-2010, 02:14 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I'm not disappointed coming from K200D (same sensor as K10D?), but I don't own the kit lens so I can't fully compare my results with yours. Could you post some pics?

QuoteOriginally posted by Larsenio Quote
My concerne was right, I have now learned that I need to overexpose 1 to 2 steps to get correct histogram and exposures. In ALL shooting conditions!
I've noticed a little underexposure too, but not as severe. If I shoot a uniform neutral grey surface the histogram is just slightly to the left. And in normal conditions (not shooting snow etc) depending on the scene I have to dial in max +1EV.

QuoteOriginally posted by Larsenio Quote
The camera also needs to be stopped down much more than with my K10d to get sharp pictures.

For example the kit lens and my kit lens are quite sharp on my camera @3.5 but this is impossible in order to achieve the same sharp pictures on her camera.
Have to be around 5.6 and beyond on this camera.
I have no issues with sharpness. My SMC-A 1.7/50mm is just as sharp wide open as usual. Are you comparing at 100%? Maybe your hitting the maximum resolution of the kit lens at f3.5 and it shows because of increased resolution? Or maybe your autofocus is off, have you tried the auto focus fine tuning? Also shooting under tungsten light might cause autofocus error?