Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2010, 05:26 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Why should the K-x not have it?

Hey Guys,
A feature I have pondered upon on numerous occasions and have sorely missed is the exclusion of the option of setting different noise reduction levels for each ISO level. I mean, I do want the noise reduction to kick in after ISO 1250, but I don't want the camera to reduce the same amount of noise that it would reduce in ISO 3200, OR 6400. I would certainly want it to reduce less, which, however the camera does not allow me to do.
However, the new K-5, and K-r have these features. Now, wouldn't it be nice for these feature to be available in K-x in a future firmware update(unless Pentax don't want their customers to be happy, and why would they want that?), since it's a part of the software and not the hardware?????? What's your take???

11-03-2010, 05:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Honestly, if camera makers simply conducted camera updates via firmware, they would go out of business. Pentax typically has 1 or 2 firmware updates per camera (more often 1 to fix known issues after release). This is pretty typical for most camera makers.
11-03-2010, 06:13 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

The Kx is a low end camera. If it had all the features of a K7/K5, there wouldn't be much reason to buy the upper level camera.
You get what you pay for.
11-03-2010, 06:25 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The Kx is a low end camera. If it had all the features of a K7/K5, there wouldn't be much reason to buy the upper level camera.
You get what you pay for.
That's right, but the K-x is known to be an excellent noise controlling camera. So, it just makes sense that it should have such features. And if there are a maximum of 2 updates per camera, well, they do have one left, don't they? If they could provide different cross-processing modes in an update, then separate noise reduction levels would be very welcome and would incite more buyers to go for this camera, now that it has added competition from the Nikon D3100.
Heck, I wouldn't mind even mind if these options were opened up by a hacker, unless, it would become unstable, that is.

11-03-2010, 06:29 AM   #5
Raylon

I wouldn't count on seeing anything but minor changes with the K-r out now. Like paul said, you get what you pay for.
11-03-2010, 06:35 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
You get what you pay for??
I have to disagree. The k-x sensor just walks circles around the k-7. Image quality and noise. Feature wise it is not close to the k-7. But it walks all over it otherwise.
11-03-2010, 07:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by garyk Quote
I have to disagree. The k-x sensor just walks circles around the k-7. Image quality and noise. Feature wise it is not close to the k-7. But it walks all over it otherwise.
The 'you get what you pay for' reference is not to the camera itself (most will agree the K-x is a great bargain), but that you are paying for the product as it is sold - you should not expect Pentax or any other company to offer free updates in the future, as that is not a part of a products features.

11-03-2010, 07:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I owned and shot on both a K-x and K-7 for the past year and overall the K-x sensor does not walk circles around the K-7. Yes, at high ISO the K-x out performs the K-7. At low ISO, I think you would find that a majority of people prefer the IQ of the K7.
11-03-2010, 07:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

As mentioned it is not likely that they would add features in FW updates. This is for marketing reasons, but also because they probably have more than enough to do with the FW updates to the k-r and especially k-5. Besides, given the current product cycles of DLSRs, most of the developers have probably been assigned on the next great thing already.

Assuming a common code base, leaving out features (=disabling them) that have already been implemented and tested in new, cheaper products just to create artifical value to the more expensive models is somewhat different and in fact seems mean to me. One would hope that competition helps with that, especially with Pentax, as they are currently the underdog who is compelled to offer best products in a price class for increased market share.

There is a most striking difference to PC software: cameras from major brands usually pretty much "just work" even with the initial firmware. This is not usually appreciated to the degree it deserves :-)
11-03-2010, 12:15 PM   #10
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't see the point for a majority of users, because not only is the k-x so clean at high ISO, but you can set which ISO and above you want NR to kick in in the first place, and at what level of NR.

I understand the point, and you're right, it's only a firmware issue. But when you're shooting a low light situation that requires you to max out your ISO, and you want heavier NR, it's no big deal to change the NR level.

It's not like you're going to be alternating between this type of shot and outdoor daylight within the same session that you need the camera to do it on the fly.
11-03-2010, 04:10 PM   #11
Ananta Androscoggin

Does anybody even know how much storage memory there might be left over inside the K-x in which to add such code?
11-03-2010, 05:10 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Your point?
11-03-2010, 08:23 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by amidtb994 Quote
Hey Guys,
A feature I have pondered upon on numerous occasions and have sorely missed is the exclusion of the option of setting different noise reduction levels for each ISO level. I mean, I do want the noise reduction to kick in after ISO 1250, but I don't want the camera to reduce the same amount of noise that it would reduce in ISO 3200, OR 6400. I would certainly want it to reduce less, which, however the camera does not allow me to do.
However, the new K-5, and K-r have these features. Now, wouldn't it be nice for these feature to be available in K-x in a future firmware update(unless Pentax don't want their customers to be happy, and why would they want that?), since it's a part of the software and not the hardware?????? What's your take???
The ability to adjust in camera NR levels is not a very common feature. Few cameras do this. I'm surprised the K-r has this feature at all.

If you NEED it, then sell your K-x, and buy a K-r. I wouldn't expect Pentax to add this via firmware.